D* Newbie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello!

We're moving to a new place and I'm trying to decide which programming provider to go with. After chatting online with Comcast, getting transferred 4 times, and dealing with them not answering my questions, I'm fairly certain that option is off the table. Not a big surprise or anything. I've been leaning towards going with DirecTV for over a year. We've been living in a rented house for the winter which already had Dish installed by the owner so we lived with it for the past 9 months. We haven't been impressed...

So, I have a few questions about D*. The first is regarding installation. The owner at the new place has already said that's it's fine to get D* but they don't want it attached to the house itself - the deck or the 8' tall 4x4 posts on the privacy fence is fine. Will the installed be OK with that? Is there anything else regarding this I should know?

Secondly, how many HD DVR receivers are you allowed on one account? We'll need three receivers total. Might like them to be the HD DVR's but if it's really pricey, I probably would do something different. I saw that on the Choice Xtra pack w/ HD & DVR that you can get an HD DVR w/o upfront cost. I'm sure that probably wouldn't be true for 3...

Next, which receivers are they currently using...is it the HR23? Does that one include the OTA tuner or is it extra? I saw on here that someone just got installed with a refurb HR-20. I'd really rather not get that one. Is there a way to request a newer one or are you completely stuck with whatever they show up with?

Are they still offering at least some video on demand (over broadband) at no charge as they were about a year ago?

If I try the HD Extra pack and decide after the first month that I want to remove it, is there any problem with that? Are there charges to do so?

I was reading some in "the war zone" about SWM (?) installs, single line, and a new form of whole house networking so that one DVR can be watched on the other tv's. Can anyone please "decrypt" what some of these things are, how important they are and if these are current or future features (like on the whole house networking)? I'm feeling a little lost on it all!

Lastly, what are the requirements on the contract in terms of what you keep as a minimum? If I wanted to drop a receiver off the account later, can I do that? Can I drop to a lower package in the future if I choose as long as I keep an active account? Just wanting to have a good idea of what's expected of us on our end.

I know this is a ton of questions. I guess I just don't want to have any surprises down the road and want to be prepared from the get-go. Any help you could offer would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

All the best,
Rae

I am a few weeks new to DTV and have the Choice Xtra+ hd dvr and so far love it. I know you get the HD DVR with the INSTANT rebate of $199. If you want more than itll be $199 per receiver after the 1st one. $99 dollars for the Hd receiver.

The HD EXtra Pack is offered 3 months free, so you can cancel it anytime before the 3 months, same as the movie channels you get for free for 3 months. YOU HAVE TO CANCEL THEM IT.. IF NOT START ON THE 4TH MONTH YOULL BE CHARGED!!!

And about what receivers are being used depends on what the installer has instock (im assuming). I have a brand new hr20/700.

1. Usually it is up to the installer, tips work wonders though.

2. You can get the first HD DVR free. The other 2 will probably cost you about $200 each. You can try to work with them. I was able to get 2 free when I got installed last year. I just keep insisting and they let me have them.

3. Usually depends on where you are. If you are in a area in which DirecTV does no offer locals you will probably get an HR20 as those have the OTA tuners built in. The HR21, HR22 and HR32 will need an device called a AM21 to get OTA.

4. The video-on-demand is still free and according to who you talk to is good or bad. I personally enjoy it.

5. If you buy a premimum you must keep it for at least a month or a early disconnect charge will be applied. Currently you can get the HD Extra Pack free for 3 months.

6. With SWM's you can run a HDDVR off of one coax. Where as if you don't have SWM you would have to run two line to each HDDVR. In your situation SWM would be nice. As of now watching shows in different rooms is in the testing phase. Check the CE program for that.

7. Two year contract. If you disconnect a box you must FEDEX back to them. As far as I know you can downgrade and upgrade packages with no affect to your contract.

3. Usually depends on where you are. If you are in a area in which DirecTV does no offer locals you will probably get an HR20 as those have the OTA tuners built in. The HR21, HR22 and HR32 will need an device called a AM21 to get OTA.

4. The video-on-demand is still free and according to who you talk to is good or bad. I personally enjoy it.

Im in an area THAT GETS LOCAL and i got HR20/700, so again i think it just depends what you installer has in stock.

I enjoy the Video On Demand. i just hate you have to download it. I was with comcast for 7 long yrs and a lil spoiled with the instant OnDemand. Thats if it worked

Regarding the fence posts, they can't wiggle much when you put a side load on them or you'll drop signal when the wind blows hard. Steel posts buried in concrete are the preferred method.

The model and manufacturer of the HD DVR you get is surprisingly unpredictable. If you don't get HR20s, you'll have to wait until after you get the service turned up to order an AM-21 OTA tuner ($50 each).

The Family Package (50+ channels with 13 in HD including the big four broadcast networks) is the minimum qualifying English language programming package that you must subscribe to for 24 months.

You will be required to surrender the HD receivers if you choose not to subscribe to HD Access. Given the investment in hardware lease fees, you had better be prepared to keep HD Access. Also understand that locals probably aren't optional if they are offered in your market.

I recommend that you read both the Customer Agreement and the Equipment Lease Addendum on the DIRECTV website. If there's anything you don't understand, maybe we can fill in a few blanks.

As far as I know you can downgrade and upgrade packages with no affect to your contract.

Yes, but if you change receivers -- apparently for any reason -- they will extend your contract two years. I found out about this the hard way.

I recommend that you read both the Customer Agreement and the Equipment Lease Addendum on the DIRECTV website.
And keep the CSR on the line until he or she answers any questions to your absolute satisfaction. If you are not getting an adequate answer, ask to speak with a supervisor or higher. It is definitely a "buyer beware" company.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. In regards to the fence post vs steel post in concrete...is the steel post something that we need to already have up if we decide to go that route or is it included as part of the install?

Great tips and info! Thanks again. :D

You will be required to surrender the HD receivers if you choose not to subscribe to HD Access. Given the investment in hardware lease fees, you had better be prepared to keep HD Access
I'd like to clear this up. I don't have HD Access and I still have my HR23-700(Hell, I don't even have a HD TV). If you no longer want HD Access I'd recommend removing it off your account online(At DirecTV.com) so just in case any CSR gets the same impression and you won't have any problems by removing online.

Last edited:
Ira Lacher;1805302[B said:
It is definitely a "buyer beware" company.[/B]
No more so then any other company. I Always do my research before buying anything and I'd hope others do the same(I think that's why some end up unhappy with any company, they just don't do their research)

Hell, I expect DirecTV to lie to me. They make over 17 Billion dollars a year from us(I'd lie to anyone for 1% of that). They have an incentive to lie(And to tell you anything to get you off the phone), that's why you do your research so you can have the upper hand.

Last edited:
In regards to the fence post vs steel post in concrete...is the steel post something that we need to already have up if we decide to go that route or is it included as part of the install?
That seems to be the question for the ages. The installers may do it for line-of-sight issues, but they may charge if it is a "preference" issue. Then again, some installers prefer pole mounts.

Associated with a pole mount, most installers will trench up to 50'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)