D* Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

purwater

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Bluefield, VA
Hey guys. I'm making the move to D* (today hopefully if my equipment arrived from VE). I was wondering if you folks thought the D* protection plan was worth the $7.99 it costs? I haven't carried the plan with E*, but have been considering it when I activate my new D* equipment. Thanks for any input or experiences with the plan.

Back when I had E* I never carried the protection plan. Why bother when you are leasing their crappy equipment?

Since I bought all my D* equip (2 reg STB's, a RCA TiVo, and the HD-TiVo) I thought it would be helpful. Nothing like special insurance for a $1000.00 DVR

I have it, I like it, and hell its only 8 dollars.

Its good if you can not afford to replace the receiver if it breaks. When the HD tivo was $1000 it was a great idea. Now that its $299 some people may take it some people may think $300 to replace it isnt that bad. The other thing it does offer is dish pointing and it covers wires and the multi switch if you have one.

First let me say, I have not tried the following myself yet, but should work.

I think you can wait till you have a problem, then login to the directv website, and activate the protection plan, then get the problem solved, then after a time, cancel it.

Drawbacks could include (if any) that it would take a tad longer to get the issue fixed via the plan (as it wouldn't be prudent to activate the plan then call the same day with a problem, it would be wiser to wait at least one billing cycle to pass first (they may even mandate it) then report the issue).

It would also probably be fair and prudent to also allow the plan to remain for a billing cycle or two even after the issue is resolved, this will insure that if the issue comes back after a week or so, the plan is still in effect, and your customer log isn't suspicious looking, and like the other poster above stated, it's only 8 bucks.

They may not let you cancel it that soon, like I said I have not yet tried this, if you do try it, let us/me all know how it went.

I figured there would be something like that in place (which is fair) but wasn't sure, so that's good to know projectorsrule, thanks.

projectorsrule said:
You cannot file a claim until day 31 after it goes into effect.

I had lightning take out my receiver at the first of the month and they let me sign up for the protection plan over the phone to offset the cost of replacing the unit....
Great customer service! ;)

I think that was more of a function of wanting to keep you on as a customer, but was still very nice of them(they didn't HAVE to do it), I believe that you have 90(or 30?) days that you can cancel your directv contract without penalty (I think it's some kind of consumer protection law). Though I could be wrong..IANAL.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons before I set up my service. I'm getting 3 R10s and replacing one of those is only 98 bucks at the Wal Mart in a pinch or just order another one from VE. Of course from what I've seen in the forums D* seems pretty good about helping you replace bad equipment. I might just have to use the 8 bucks a month towards adding storage from weaknees. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts