D* receivers and the phone connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BrightSpot

Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Hi All,

I'm a noob here looking to move from cable to D* (mostly for the NFL Sunday Ticket), but I have a question regarding the "required" phone connection on the D* receivers.

I assume that the receiver "phones home" occasionally and perhaps during pay-per-view type operations. But my question is: Can the dialed number be changed or perhaps a suffix be applied to the phone number?

You see, I have the "third" type of home phone system. Some have regular land lines, some have VOIP, but I have a land line "simulation" system call Cell Socket. You plug the Cell Socket into your home phone jack, and plug your cell phone into the Cell Socket. And Viola!, all your regular phones can dial out through your cell. There's one catch: Like all cell phones, you have to press "Send" to send the number on its way. The way this is done on a regular phone with the Cell Socket system is that you press the # key. So if the D* system needed to call XXX-YYYY, I would need to modify it to call XXX-YYYY# and I would be good to go.

So, can the number be modified in any way?

Thanks,
Scott

Nope, your SOL with the Cell Socket on 2 counts.... (I have one myself)

-First, there is NO way (not that YOU can do anyway) to put an # in the internal dialing string in any D* receivers to be dialed AFTER the destination# has been dialed. Usually you can put in digits BEFORE this number, like a 9, etc - but obviously this won't help you.
-Even if you COULD do this, you would most likely never get a connection made - if you read your instructions in for the CS, it will even tell this (will not work with modems, Tivos, etc) Digital cell phones don't pass analog modem signals well at all.

But in reality, you really DON'T need to even worry about this - while D* puts the phone BS in it's brochures, your system, other than NOT being able to order PPV by remote, will work just fine otherwise, INCLUDING getting ST. If you want to order PPV, just order it from D*'s website & it will get instantly turned on to ALL your receivers at once.

Enjoy your new D* system & welcome to SatGuys... :)

Thanks for the answer dishrich!

I guess now I need to do a better site survey to see if I can actually see the satellites. I'm surrounded by tall pines, but in my North Carolina location, I think I can see the southwest sky Ok.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)