D*'s REALLY trying to get the word out about the MPEG4 requirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
This AM noticed a recording was pushed out to my HR20, it goes over the need for a AU-9 or AT-9 dish and a MPEG4 receiver (BTW, they mentioned a HR21 in the video besides the HR20). Also in the guide they added channels 77 and 92 and the discription says it will show what new equipment will be needed to received the new HD channels. Can't say D* isn't trying to get the word out.

I think we are starting to see some things put in place now that they are pretty confident that the sat is ok and the channels will be uplinked. I wouldn't expect too much until the day after they officially announce all the channels and they go live. Then it will be media blitz time. I've been reading that in some areas installs are already backed up into October so if you have been sitting on the fence but plan to get MPEG4, now is the time to do it.

What is the HR21?

Rumored next gen HR20. Has been no official confirmation or information about it.

There is an H21 though, the replacement for the H20, in testing right now. It's basically an H20 with updated hardware, no OTA but with ethernet connections.

No idea on the HR21 on what it will be. Could be just a mistake that they really meant the H21. It's too bad the model numbers are so similar with just the "R" as difference. Too much confusion.

i watched the video and went to the website. when i clicked on order equipment, i went through the usual checklist and got to the update equipment page, where there is no hd equipment listed. i wonder if this is because i took advantage of the last offer they had (for the 199 dollar hr20).

Question for the HR10-250 audience. Was the video regarding the need to upgrade pushed out to you folks also?

Maybe the first wave to push out is only to those that have gotten receivers in the past year or so that haven't upgraded their dishes, and the next wave will be to those that need to upgrade dish AND receivers.

But it shows you they have the MPEG2 migration all planned - as most us have have expected all along. And is also shows just how close we are to the HD programming EXPLOSION!

I say bring it on!

Question for the HR10-250 audience. Was the video regarding the need to upgrade pushed out to you folks also?

Maybe the first wave to push out is only to those that have gotten receivers in the past year or so that haven't upgraded their dishes, and the next wave will be to those that need to upgrade dish AND receivers.

But it shows you they have the MPEG2 migration all planned - as most us have have expected all along. And is also shows just how close we are to the HD programming EXPLOSION!

I say bring it on!

I didn't get it, but I am all set for the new channels. Perhaps it only went to those that need to upgrade. Is it the same one they are showing on 77 and 92?

I didn't get it, but I am all set for the new channels. Perhaps it only went to those that need to upgrade. Is it the same one they are showing on 77 and 92?

I got it and have an AT-9, WB68, two HR20's, H20 and H21 so I think I'm ready.

Last edited:

I say bring it on!

I think Channels 77/92/510/541 are meant for the HR10-250 crowd... in fact, for the entire legacy HD receiver crowd. Notice how they put two of the loops next to the HBO HD and Showtime HD channels?

I got it and have an AT-9, SW68, two HR20's, H20 and H21 so I think I'm ready.

Just so I know is the AT-9 the slimline or the slightly older 5lnb dish?
SW68 what's that? Anything worth noting on differences between the H20 and H21? I'm pretty sure I got an H20 (I guess it could be a H21 though as I did not really look) with my install last week along with the HR20.

Rumored next gen HR20. Has been no official confirmation or information about it.

There is an H21 though, the replacement for the H20, in testing right now. It's basically an H20 with updated hardware, no OTA but with ethernet connections.

No idea on the HR21 on what it will be. Could be just a mistake that they really meant the H21. It's too bad the model numbers are so similar with just the "R" as difference. Too much confusion.
No OTA = No sale here. Its the only way to tell how badly D* is fking up the picture quality.

I think Channels 77/92/510/541 are meant for the HR10-250 crowd... in fact, for the entire legacy HD receiver crowd. Notice how they put two of the loops next to the HBO HD and Showtime HD channels?

Yeah - I would guess that the migration campaign will happen over time - and get more agressive as the legacy base dwindles. But as it is starting now, I would think that by end of '08 (if not sooner) its BYE BYE MPEG2 HD. Accomplishing that shouldn't be an issue - as they have been so successful with their 'soft' roll-out in the past 2 years.

After all, the MPEG2 HD crowd is already well in the minority.

I just watched the video, very cool. :)

Might even write about it for Wednesdays article if there is nothing else newsworthy. :)

Just so I know is the AT-9 the slimline or the slightly older 5lnb dish?
SW68 what's that? Anything worth noting on differences between the H20 and H21? I'm pretty sure I got an H20 (I guess it could be a H21 though as I did not really look) with my install last week along with the HR20.

AT-9 is the original Ka/Ku dish. I did it again, it's a WB68, not SW68 switch, I keep doing that. The H21 is a new non DVR receiver that does not have the ATSC tuner in it, but has added an ethernet port for some future feature (maybe), it's not used at this time. The H21 is just in testing phase, you can't purchase one at this time.

Or - as we hear repeated reports, how identical OTA is now to MPEG4.
Removing the OTA input is a bad idea, no matter how good the satellite quality is. I think that cable STBs should be required to have an OTA tuner, too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts