D*'s REALLY trying to get the word out about the MPEG4 requirement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I admit to not fully understanding the math behind the signals, but isn't 19.4MBS the maximum allowed per frequency by the FCC? If so, how can some providers on C-Band be "way over 19.4MBS"? If I am wrong, please correct me.
No thats ATSC terrestrial OTA transmissions. The networks (well maybe not FOX with their splicers and junk) send out the HD program at much higher bitrate than the (19.4) you get from your local via an antenna

those channels run 30-35 mb/s from what I have read. Go contact gary murrell or read up on it.
You made the claim -- the burden of proof is on you.

I did a cursory look but was unable to find any evidence to substantiate your claim.

You made the claim -- the burden of proof is on you.
Only if I were interested in your education. I'll put it this way, C BAND has the feeds before D* and E* butcher them.

DIRECTV and DISH NETWORK have C-Band Systems - those "Big Dishes", parked at all the required locations to downlink the programming needed for what THEY want to provide..... they then digital process the signal.... compressed the video and audio to fit as many channels as they can get into their limited bandwidth what they have to work with.... more channels added, more compression.....
C-BAND SATELLITE TV WORLD.... The Ultimate SOURCE !

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do those BUD's have to abide by the same blackout restrictions as D* & E*? And are all those feeds going to be in HD when/if available?

Just out of curiosity, do those BUD's have to abide by the same blackout restrictions as D* & E*? And are all those feeds going to be in HD when/if available?

I do believe that they do have to.

What about the second part of my question? Will the BUD subs be seeing the HD feeds (assuming they have the proper equip.) as soon as they are broadcast?

I'm curious, how many of you can see a difference between LiL from D* and OTA? I honestly can't see any difference and I'm wondering if maybe I should see an eye doctor. This is a serious question, I'm not trying to be funny. Maybe I don't know what I should be looking for.

Last edited:
From what everyone has said. Mpeg4 locals in HD look every bit as good as OTA.

What about the second part of my question? Will the BUD subs be seeing the HD feeds (assuming they have the proper equip.) as soon as they are broadcast?

What subscription are you asking about? They can't subscribe to D* and they can no longer subscribe to ST. There are other companies that sell subscriptions to BUD users. I quit using mine when I would have had to buy a new receiver at over $1000, I had already done that once, and the NFL quit selling them their package.

What subscription are you asking about? They can't subscribe to D* and they can no longer subscribe to ST. There are other companies that sell subscriptions to BUD users. I quit using mine when I would have had to buy a new receiver at over $1000, I had already done that once, and the NFL quit selling them their package.

I am simply asking if the BUD customers out there will be able to - with the right equipment from their provider - see any of these new HD offerings that are set to come online over the next few weeks/months. Or are these HD signals ONLY for sat companies like D* & E* and cable co's?

The link provided earlier went to a site that did not show all that many HD offerings, so I am just wondering if the HD onslaught would benefit the BUD subs of the world...or if that site was just out of date...

I am simply asking if the BUD customers out there will be able to - with the right equipment from their provider - see any of these new HD offerings that are set to come online over the next few weeks/months.
It is unlikely that BUD subscribers will see these channels until they are actually broadcast in HD. HD upconverts may be made available to D* subscribers in the absence of an actual HD feed.
Or are these HD signals ONLY for sat companies like D* & E* and cable co's?
Not everything is uplinked on C-band. A lot of the D* and E* uplinks are Ka band and other feeds go out terrestrial communcations networks. Another issue that is coming with the introduction of the new HBO and Skinamax HD channels: MPEG4 uplink. I'm thinking that C-band equipment isn't up to MPEG4 yet. It may not be reasonable to assume that they are all up-to-date in HD receiving equipment.

It is unlikely that BUD subscribers will see these channels until they are actually broadcast in HD. HD upconverts may be made available to D* subscribers in the absence of an actual HD feed.Not everything is uplinked on C-band. A lot of the D* and E* uplinks are Ka band and other feeds go out terrestrial communcations networks. Another issue that is coming with the introduction of the new HBO and Skinamax HD channels: MPEG4 uplink. I'm thinking that C-band equipment isn't up to MPEG4 yet. It may not be reasonable to assume that they are all up-to-date in HD receiving equipment.
Thanks..I know diddly about C-band vs Ka/Ku band. But I guess it makes sense that a C-band BUD can't receive Ka/Ku signals.

Thanks..I know diddly about C-band vs Ka/Ku band. But I guess it makes sense that a C-band BUD can't receive Ka/Ku signals.

They can receive ku, I'm not sure about ka. Those signals would likely be encrypted anyway.

I am simply asking if the BUD customers out there will be able to - with the right equipment from their provider - see any of these new HD offerings that are set to come online over the next few weeks/months. Or are these HD signals ONLY for sat companies like D* & E* and cable co's?

The link provided earlier went to a site that did not show all that many HD offerings, so I am just wondering if the HD onslaught would benefit the BUD subs of the world...or if that site was just out of date...

OK. I see what you mean. Yes BUDs will get most of the channels that are switching to HD as long as they have a paid subscription. Like the man said some channels will not be available to them. More channels in HD is good for everyone. Ten years ago the BUD was the best way to go, but now they are dinosaurs. We used to get the NFL for free with no commercials.

ATSC missing in HR21

For me, not having a built-in ATSC tuner means that the "R" in HR21 can't capture OTA broadcasts. Unless, of course, the HR21 has external inputs which can be recorded. What are the odds of that?

Would one of you HR20 owners please advise whether that box has "inputs" and what flavor they are (DVI, HDMI, coax, component, etc.).

A seamless interface to recording both OTA and DTV streams would be nice (manditory?). But, how would the HR21 know about the OTA subs, to allow them to be added to the record queue in the first place?

BTW: watching DTV 74 (TNTHD?) why do they insist on stretching nonHD content? Why not give me the choice? More basically, if this is an HD pipe, why pour 4x3 content into it in the first place... rant/whine...

BTW: watching DTV 74 (TNTHD?) why do they insist on stretching nonHD content? Why not give me the choice? More basically, if this is an HD pipe, why pour 4x3 content into it in the first place... rant/whine...

They do give you a choice...you can watch TNT sd if you dont like the stretch.

For me, not having a built-in ATSC tuner means that the "R" in HR21 can't capture OTA broadcasts. Unless, of course, the HR21 has external inputs which can be recorded. What are the odds of that?

Would one of you HR20 owners please advise whether that box has "inputs" and what flavor they are (DVI, HDMI, coax, component, etc.).

A seamless interface to recording both OTA and DTV streams would be nice (manditory?). But, how would the HR21 know about the OTA subs, to allow them to be added to the record queue in the first place?

The HR20 doesn't have any inputs besides the two for the dish connection and one for an OTA antenna. If the HR21 doesn't have an ATSC tuner and you need one then just get a HR20. Nothing's been said by D* about the H21 replacing the H20 so there's nothing at this time to say if/when a HR21 comes out that they wouldn't also continue the HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)