D* Satellite Launch Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I live in southeastern michigan which I puts me with the detroit area, and have read many posts that we would be first for the roll out of the new dish, are we looking at this year or next...With our not so good winters (I know I wont be installing) I hope its soon as we are entering october!.Though if there are no new channels, I guess its nothing to totally go crazy about since I get HD with a OTA, though it would be nice to put those rabbit ears away. When I bought them I felt like I was going back in time!

The launch schedule still shows it as 10/27/05, where are you reading November? Are you referring to the SpaceFlightNow site that lists it as TBD?

Hancox: You are right on. I think D* and plenty of others will tell us when this thing actually goes up. I don't even buy French wine anymore. Still, I'm not sure what's so magic about this satellite. D* could go to MPEG 4 anytime they get the boxes and dishes, couldn't they? They just do not presently have all the bandwidth they need to send us compressed rebroadcasts of over-the-air local HD channels we already have?

hancox said:
Man, has this thing been star-crossed.

I agree. There also has been no news on whether Orbital has gotten their act together on that bogus Telkom 2 power supply. Have they shipped the sat back to French Guiana? If not, we may be in for a long wait.

Don

donyoop said:
I agree. There also has been no news on whether Orbital has gotten their act together on that bogus Telkom 2 power supply. Have they shipped the sat back to French Guiana? If not, we may be in for a long wait.

Don

I wouldn't expect a press release on this until *after* the next launch goes up. It's one of those things that would only confuse people needlessly if they announced something now... :)

rad said:
Nobody ever said 1500 this year, from http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01-06-2005A

Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 - will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.

The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.
Ok how many local channels per market in that first 500?

vurbano said:
LonghornXP

Please explain why Directv 8 is moving to 101??? To replace Directv 2??
VURBANO - ON A RELATED MATTER, AND SINCE WE'RE BUDDIES AN ALL....SEE BELOW:

FCC OKs DirecTV Satellite Moves
The International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission granted DirecTV authority to operate its DirecTV 5 satellite at the 109.8-degree orbital location and to relocate the DirecTV 6 satellite to the 109.7-degree orbital location.
Eventually, the satellite TV company will hand off customer traffic from DirecTV 6 to DirecTV 5, and place DirecTV 6 at the 109.5-degree orbital location, where it will reside as an in-orbit spare. The FCC authorization will allow DirecTV to maintain continuity of service for customers receiving signals from the orbital location, the FCC said.

The DirecTV 6 satellite currently serves customers from 109.8 degrees. The satellite has experienced solar array failures that cause a continuing decrease in operational capacity, which compelled the company to replace the spacecraft with the DirecTV 5 satellite.

But!!!!! HOLD ON HERE WE GO! MORE NEWS AFTER ALL! BACK ON TOPIC!

First Spaceway satellite enters service for DIRECTV
NASA NEWS RELEASE
Posted: October 10, 2005

Boeing announced today the on-orbit delivery of the Spaceway F1 satellite to DIRECTV, Inc. The most complex commercial satellite ever manufactured, Spaceway F1 will enable DIRECTV to broadcast local high definition television (HDTV) channels into several of the nation's largest markets.

"All in-orbit testing has been successfully completed and we are pleased to deliver this incredibly sophisticated satellite to our long-time and valued customer - DIRECTV," said Steve O'Neill, vice president of Boeing's commercial and civil satellite programs. " Spaceway F1 includes an innovative, on-board digital processor and a flexible payload with a fully steerable downlink antenna that can be reconfigured on orbit to seamlessly address market conditions." Spaceway F1, and its sister satellite, Spaceway F2, are among DIRECTV's next generation of direct-to-home (DTH) broadcast satellites. The spacecrafts' adaptable spot beam technology and reconfigurable routing will allow DIRECTV, Inc. to bring HDTV local service to most U.S. television households. Spaceway F2 is scheduled for launch later this year.

"Our historic expansion of programming capacity will be made possible with the proven technology integrated aboard Spaceway F1 and three other Boeing-built satellites that we are launching over the next two years," said Jim Butterworth, senior vice president, Communications Systems, DIRECTV, Inc. "Boeing's leadership in building quality satellites is instrumental in our initiative to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other advanced programming services to customers nationwide by 2007."

The Boeing 702 geostationary satellite was designed and manufactured at Boeing's Satellite Development Center. Located in El Segundo, Calif., the SDC is the leading manufacturer of government and commercial communications satellites. Encompassing approximately 1 million square feet, the state-of-the-art facility is the largest dedicated satellite factory in the world.

A unit of The Boeing Company, Boeing Integrated Defense Systems is one of the world's largest space and defense businesses. Headquartered in St. Louis, Boeing Integrated Defense Systems is a $30.5 billion business. It provides network-centric system solutions to its global military, government, and commercial customers. It is a leading provider of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems; the world's largest military aircraft manufacturer; the world's largest satellite manufacturer and a leading provider of space-based communications; the primary systems integrator for U.S. missile defense; NASA's largest contractor; and a global leader in sustainment solutions and launch services.

Cleaned a bit (as much as I hate to).

Please keep it in the same zip code as the topic :)

You need a scorecard to figure out what sat. is where..........
Date posted: 2005-10-12
Satellite Update
DIRECTV Enterprises was granted authority to operate its DIRECTV 5 satellite at 109.8 degrees West Longitude (WL) and provide DBS service from that location. DIRECTV was also granted special temporary authority (STA) for 180 days (effective Oct. 4) to relocate its DIRECTV 6 satellite to the 109.7 degree WL orbital location to hand off customer traffic to DIRECTV 5 and then move it to the 109.5 degree WL location for the remainder of the 180 days. For details see the Order and Authorization (DA 05-2654).

The FCC also granted DIRECTV Enterprises permission to relocate its DIRECTV 8 satellite from 100.85 degrees WL to 100.75 degrees WL. DIRECTV 8 has two authorizations; one for a Ku-band DBS space station and the other for a Ka-band fixed satellite service (FSS) space station. The FCC declined to impose the conditions requested by Mobile Satellite Ventures Subsidiary LLC (MSV), which was concerned about its AMSC-1 satellite at 100.95 degrees, but noted that "parties licensed at a particular orbital location are expected to coordinate with other parties licensed at the same location to avoid in-orbit collisions." Six in-orbit satellites share the space around the 101-degree WL location. In addition to DIRECTV 8 at 100.75 degrees WL and AMSC-1 at 100.95 degrees, DIRECTV 1R is authorized at a center location of 100.85 degrees, DIRECTV 4S is at 101.20 degrees, AMC-4 is at 101.0 degrees, DIRECTV 2 is at 100.8 degrees but recently received STA to move to 100.6 degrees. Another satellite is authorized to operate within 0.25 degrees of 101.0 degrees WL but has yet to be launched. The FCC said other applications to launch and operate satellites within 0.25 degrees of 101.0 degrees WL remain pending. For more information this grant, see the FCC Order and Authorization DA-05-2671.

Status
Please reply by conversation.