Status
Please reply by conversation.

tandreu

Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
Currently have D*tv. Want to go HD. Why should I go HD with D*tv vs Cable

tandreu said:
Currently have D*tv. Want to go HD. Why should I go HD with D*tv vs Cable
Go with cable, if you have to ask that question you need another DOSE OF CABLE you weren't educated very well before.
:D :D :D

Well, why NOT give it shot & see how it is? Cable (usually) is NOT going to make you commit to anything & if it sucks, you can always get rid of it & go back to DBS.

Which TW system are you on? When I recently visited a friend on Staten Island, TW had just added MORE HD, including INHD 1 & 2, HD Net & HD Movies & ESPN. This was on top of ALREADY having HBO, Showtime, TNT, Discovery & all the major local networks in HD.

dishrich said:
Well, why NOT give it shot & see how it is? Cable (usually) is NOT going to make you commit to anything & if it sucks, you can always get rid of it & go back to DBS.

Which TW system are you on? When I recently visited a friend on Staten Island, TW had just added MORE HD, including INHD 1 & 2, HD Net & HD Movies & ESPN. This was on top of ALREADY having HBO, Showtime, TNT, Discovery & all the major local networks in HD.

well to let you know i had time warner Hd and Roadrunner, but I wanted to give directv a try I am happy about it because of the football package, but if sports arent your thing and paying maybe 20% more for cable then time warner is a good choice for the on demand issues I miss those and I miss the speed of my cable internet connection, so the PQ is about the same here in ohio on time warner as satellite as they have digital cable nad all locals in high def....My edge right now goes to time warner, but in a year I willsee with all this stuff Directv has coming out...and remember this is just a review of here in OHIO...enjoy

You ought to try cable like boba and dishrich said. You really need to compare for yourself. Cable is not like D*. With D* you should have the same PQ from anywhere. With cable the PQ might be better or worse than D*. It just depends on where you are. Even your next door neighbor might have a better cable picture than you would.

I just went back to TWC after being with D* for a year. Why? Because I didn't like the HD-Lite channels on D*. TWC has more HD channels with better PQ for the time being. And less compressed SD channels. I'm hoping this will change next year when D* put's up it new sats. Now TWC is not perfect. TWC does compress some of their SD channels way to much. Also, some of the analog channels are grainy. TWC program guide is awful after using the program guide I had on my Hughes E-86 stb. But these are short comings, I think, I can live with for a few months.

I'm always looking for the best PQ I can get/afford. Right now it's TWC. If V*, D* or E* get's their acts together then I would probably change again.

My TWC operator puts 4 channels on a QAM slot, at a minimum (one QAM "channel" is 38Mbps, so my best HD is around 10Mbps). Thus, I'm expecting D*'s HD to be comparable across the board to what I get currently. The major advantage of D* is the Tivo. There is nothing that compares to it, and it is probably covering a lot of sins for many folks just to have the functionality.

well just to update this thread, had some billing problems with D*tv, and will called them, got credits on my account, then checked my account online the next day, credits were reversed, called again, they couldnt figure it out, so until D*tv can pump out more HD then my TWC then I am going back to them, as I stated earlier, PQ is the same (not on analog, but all locals are on in HD) and I will get back my on demand! plus I know for sure TNT is up for basketball and I will get INhd1 and INhd2, so sorry Directv you couldnt cut for me here in OHio

umm one more update just to show you how confusing life can be, TWC system went flat on its face here in my area (on demand no longer worked, and several outages) so I am happy to report the wife and I are back with Directv, now to just get a hd box back!

I dropped time warner and their HD-DVR and replaced it with D* and an SD-Tivo last summer. My plan was to save up the monthly price difference and eventually get the HD-Tivo. The PQ on the local channels is a lot better on D*, and the tivo interface is a welcome change from the glitchy Scientific atlanta 8000HD SARA software. At the time, NBC was the only local HD feed on time warner, and it had almost constant lip-synch issues, so I didn't go through too much HD withdrawal.

However, since that time they've added ABC HD, and just barely added Fox HD. I just signed up with Time Warner again so I'll have the super bowl in HD. I'm curious to see if the DVR has improved at all, and I'm also looking forward to seeing a lot of shows in HD for the first time. I'm planning to cancel after the superbowl, however. Hopefully by then my wife will be used to the HD PQ on her favorite shows and will OK the purchase of the HD-Tivo :)

Note that the superbowl situation is a bit unique. The local Fox station has the equipment to receive the HD national feed and rebroadcast it, but they're tied up with the FCC and currently aren't allowed to broadcast OTA. The deal with time warner makes cable the only place where that signal can be received. The station is not granting waivers for getting the NY HD feed over satellite, so my original plan of buying a D* HD receiver wouldn't have worked anyway.

I don't know weather to envy all that have the cash to purchase a HD setup, or just be satisfied that I'm not going through any withdrawls since the only HD i've seen in person was at best buy and at CES+every other major convention here in vegas. Then again... If I had a HD monitor i'd just be playing Half-Life2 etc. on it all day long. Working for DTV kinda makes you not want to turn on the 'tube' just in case 721, or sfss flashes cross the screen... that stuff gives me nightmares. LOL. As do old ladies programming their remotes.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)