D0's & Dont's of eBay Selling

OKCrew

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I have 2 6000's with PSK & VSB modules that I will be selling on eBay. Please enlighten me with your knowledge on what I should included and not include the selling description as well as any other tips you would like to share.

I am a long term E* HD customer but am switching to Cox cable. I am not starting a Cable v. Sat thread here, just anticipating the question as to why I have 2 6000's to sell. I also have an 811 but probably will keep it for OTA on one of my 4 HDTVs.

Thanks for your input...

Use the following link to find out what the item has went for in the past to get an idea of what you can get out of your item ... http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQcatre...ryListQQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1

Put at the end of your auction No Warranty, No Returns, No Refunds to cover your butt. Give the buyer the option for insurance (if you use USPS ALWAYS use insurance and make that a requirement - for $2.30 you get $100 of insurance and a tracking number included with that). UPS automatically comes iwth $100 of insurance but you can pay a little extra to get more insurance. This goes into the shipping information section. Also tell them that you will give them a tracking number once the money is received and that they have an x amount of time to send payment. I usually give them 3 days. I only had one person that never sent me a payment and that was the first person that wont a bid on an item I had for sale.

Give them a Buy It Now option for a quick sale.

search completed auctions, then sort by sales price high to low.
then see what "key" words are common in the higher selling price items.
then be sure to use those "key" words. I don't mess with it for small $ items, but with higher dollar electronics it is essential.

Thanks guys for the input... It is good to know these particulars.

Over the years I've sold two 6000's and an 811 on eBay, and got near top dollar for them. One of the things I did was made a compelling argument for HD - listed all the channels you could get etc.

When I sold a 6000 last month, many potential buyers were from Canada. Mine sold to a person in Canada, but for some reason the package is held up in Canadian Customs and has been there since the end of March.

Save yourself some headache by only shipping to the US if you are in the US. I wouldn't do it again for the $30 or so extra dollars you might get out of it by having a different country able to receive it. From past experiences, some Canadians have a US address they use to ship items to.

Note the times and days when the 6000's sell for the highest prices. It seems to matter because people aren't usually up at 2:00am EST on a Wednesday night to place those last minute (or should I say last second) bids.

Good luck!

I have never had any probs shipping to Canada.I have sold several receivers sent there.Just state electronic item on paper work.If you put Dish on the paper work that's when the problems comes up.

Be prepared to get to get lots of hacker type questions. I just ignore these types of questions because I don't know the answers anways, but beware that you will get them. There's a reason why the old 6000 fetches such a premium on ebay, and it's because it's a favorite with the pirates.

The hackers are looking for that JTAG port. If its on your 6000s, then mention that. Take their $$$, With MPEG4 around corner, those 6000s will be bricks by this time next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)