Daily loss of internet by HWS

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have 2 HWS with bridging turned on.
One of them is connected to the internet via wi-fi, and very rarely has internet loss
The other HWS is connected to the internet via the 1st hws. This unit has internet loss every morning.
Choosing the reset internet resolves the problem. I have tried to connect this hws via wi-fi, but it will not allow it.
Do I need to replace the hws?

One of them is connected to the internet via wi-fi, and very rarely has internet loss
The other HWS is connected to the internet via the 1st hws. This unit has internet loss every morning.
Choosing the reset internet resolves the problem. I have tried to connect this hws via wi-fi, but it will not allow it.
Do you have bridging turned on on both receivers? If so, turn off bridging on the HWS that is connected via the 1st HWS.

Try disconnecting Wi-Fi from the present HWS and then connecting Wi-Fi on the other HWS.

You only need 1 connected to the Internet. If both are, it causes conflicts.
You don't need to disable Bridging, you need to disconnect the Hopper connected by WiFi by going into Internet, Network Setup and hitting Info-Recall on the remote.
Wireless Joeys have nothing to do with Internet
Disabling Bridging disables Internet related function on the Joeys and other Hopper

Reactions: charlesrshell
Turning bridging off shouldn't disable wifi Joeys. If it is you have other issues or your wifi Joey isn't running through the wap and is instead running over your home wifi which if it is would explain e very single issue you've been having. I don't see why it would be though. Imo it's time to give it up and go to hopper3 as everyone has suggested to you for last two months.

This is the reason I don't want to change. Seldom had a problem before adding the 2nd wireless joey. If the techs can't do something this simple, why would I trust them to change the complete system?

Is there a way to check if the wireless Joey's are using the wap instead of the home internet?

This is the reason I don't want to change. Seldom had a problem before adding the 2nd wireless joey. If the techs can't do something this simple, why would I trust them to change the complete system?

Is there a way to check if the wireless Joey's are using the wap instead of the home internet?
Sure, turn off your internet modem, temporarily, and see if you still have use of the wireless Joey.

They can ONLY use the WAP unless someone manually connects them to the internet.
They don't just arbitrarily switch from WAP to the Internet.

I explained some issues I got from your OP but you seemed to have skipped over my post for some reason.
The most egregious being that BOTH Hoppers are connected to the Internet.
That's just asking for problems

Another thing, is the WAP near the Router? That can cause interference.
And I REALLY do NOT appreciate your dig on the techs.

They can ONLY use the WAP unless someone manually connects them to the internet.
They don't just arbitrarily switch from WAP to the Internet.

I explained some issues I got from your OP but you seemed to have skipped over my post for some reason.
The most egregious being that BOTH Hoppers are connected to the Internet.
That's just asking for problems

Another thing, is the WAP near the Router? That can cause interference.
And I REALLY do NOT appreciate your dig on the techs.
The wap is not near the router. Both hoppers have always been connected to the internet and I have not had these problems. I only started having the problems after adding the 2nd wireless joey. The techs are supposed to know what they are doing. They are paid professionals, yet they left me with this problem. I gave them good marks so they wouldn't be docked any pay. If I don't perform my job, I am called out. Are the techs exempt from criticism when they don't perform their job correctly?

The wap is not near the router. Both hoppers have always been connected to the internet and I have not had these problems. I only started having the problems after adding the 2nd wireless joey. The techs are supposed to know what they are doing. They are paid professionals, yet they left me with this problem. I gave them good marks so they wouldn't be docked any pay. If I don't perform my job, I am called out. Are the techs exempt from criticism when they don't perform their job correctly?
OK, the proper way is only to have one Hopper connected to the Internet with Bridging on both Hoppers. Just because it's always worked in the past doesn't absolve it from being wrong. When both Hoppers are connected to the Internet, it WILL cause problems with connectivity.

What is the problem you're having? Connectivity.

As for the techs, 2-Hopper installations are pretty rare anymore and depending on the office and the tenure of the tech, they may not even know this about connecting the Hoppers to the internet. It's cable TV, not Rocket Science, where the turnover rate for technicians is extremely high. Sad, but true.

Maybe I misstated my set up.
The HWS in the bedroom is the closes unit to the router. It is connected via wi fi to the internet. Bridging is turned on.
The HWS in the Great room is not connected to the internet via wi fi but by moca. Bridging is turned on.
Every a.m. the Great room HWS does not have internet capability. A reset of the HWS will restore the internet.
This is a problem that has basically started after the 2nd wireless joey was installed.
Each of the wireless joey's (I have 2) are linked to different HWS.
Hopefully, this explains my situation in more detail