Dallas/FW Area OTA HD Question

KeithInDallas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Dallas, TX
I have a question for any D/FW area folks who receive the locals in HD OTA. I am using one of those small, clip-on-the dish OTA antennas with my 942 and 811. When I first put it up last summer, I couldn't pick-up FOX4 with it. Sometime during the fall, the signal strength seemed to increase, and I suddenly started picking it up (and enjoyed watching NFL football in HD every Sunday). However, recently the signal strength seemed to drop, and my 942 won't pull it in anymore. (I am not sure exactly when this happened, because I don't watch Fox daily).

I am wondering if their signal strength has dropped, if a 942 software update might be to blame, or if it's just my crappy little antenna being crappy and the antenna gnomes are enjoying messing with me! Is anyone else having this problem?

Reaim or adjust your ota clip on antenna. I had the same problem with my local nbc station. It started at 77-80 strength and then dropped to 61-65 strength which made it unwatchable. I reaimed the antenna by moving it a little more to the right and now I am getting 75-77 strength on my nbc station and same strengths as before on my Abc and Cbs station. I am using the terk 44 clip on antenna.

I don't have any problems with Fox, but ABC is virtually impossible to watch... the picture always pops in and out... lots of probelms with ABC...

I have a rather large amplified channelmaster in my attic... Does that qualify as a real antenna for you?

stupid homeowner's association won't allow exterior antennas. Strangely, they have no problem with multiple dishes...

The FCC does... Search for other threads on this topic. Homeowners assoc. don't have a say on this.

Use Google and enter the phrase below:
"fcc antenna rules and regulations"

The first item at the top of my list returned the following:
Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

Preemption of Restrictions on Placement of Direct Broadcast Satellite, Broadband Radio Service, and Television Broadcast Antennas
It is a very good document explaning your rights and limitations. The bottom line is that a HOA or municiple government may not abridge the privilages granted by a federal authority, specifically the FCC.
You will find that you can place an antenna out-side (ideally away from the street side in consideration for the neighborhood) in order to receive reasonable quality TV.
Some of the other items returned also makefor interesting reading.
Lp - Plano

drsiebling said:
stupid homeowner's association won't allow exterior antennas. Strangely, they have no problem with multiple dishes...

They shouldn't stop you from putting up another antenna....

and WFAA broadcasts VHF while everyone else is UHF...so it makes it a little bit harder to pick up

I am just the opposite. WFAA comes in on my 942 at 100% almost all of the time. All of my UHF comes it at above 85%, with the exception of Fox4, which is in the mid 70s (or less = drop outs). Scott has said that the 622 appears to have a better tuner, maybe my problem with Fox will be solved after April 1st.

Steve

Last edited:
I have a HUGE antenna hanging in my attic (from back in the day when satellite had no locals). I use it now for the OTA HD and I get 78-90 on all my locals. If you have a huge attic like most homes in this part of the world do....get the biggest outdoor antenna you can find and hang it in your attic. OR....wait for the HD locals (which are supposed to be online in a few months? )

I'm in Garland and purchased a channel master 30 element 113" ant. form Fry's for $35. I used a 10 ft mast. After using a compass to align the antenna according to antennawweb I receive all channels in the 75 to 95% range with the exception of 27-1 which comes in between 40 and 50%. I am not a DISH subscriber but use the ATSC tuner built in to my tv. These are the digital channels that I get with this setup. 2-1, 4-1,4-2, 5-1,5-2,8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 11-1,13-1, 21-1, 21-2, 23-1, 27-1, 33-1,33-2, 39-1, 47-1, 49-1, 58-1-2-3-4-5, 68-1-2-3. I would highly recommend this route before wasting money on amplified antennas or attic installations.