Dallas Trades for Jason Kidd

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Personally, if I was Mark Cuban I would NOT have gotten rid of Devin Harris; Kidd or no Kidd.

Kidd traded to Dallas

By FRED KERBER

TORONTO -- It was in December, one opposing coach recalled, that a member of the Nets New Jersey Nets
t.gif
' front office was talking to him about Jason Kidd Jason Kidd
t.gif

"He said that Jason wanted to go to Dallas," the coach recalled.

Kidd is getting his wish.

The Nets and Mavericks have completed a mega eight player deal that will send Kidd, the player most responsible for the basketball renaissance in New Jersey, to Dallas, where he started his pro career.

The Nets, who will save roughly $11 million in salary cap space for next season, will receive coveted guard Devin Harris, forward Devean George, center DeSagana Diop, swingman Jerry Stackhouse, guard Maurice Ager, plus two No. 1 picks (2008, 2010), a second-rounder (TBD) and $3 million cash.
The Mavs also receive forward Malik Allen Malik Allen
t.gif
and swingman Antoine Wright.

Lawrence Frank talked tonight about life without his All-Star point guard.
“I love him. He’s a very special person, but it’s time for both him and the organization to part ways,” Frank said before the game in Toronto.
“We’re giving up a Hall of Fame point guard and some good role players. If this deal goes through, we’ll be receiving some very good players as well and a new era of Nets basketball will start because Jason is that significant a player.”
Kidd was in Toronto, but didn’t talk to the media before the game. He, Allen and Wright were inactive.
Stackhouse said he may be able to rejoin Dallas within 30 days, an indication the Nets would buy out his contract.
“I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I’ll be right back,” he told The Associated Press. “I ain’t going nowhere.”

The Nets and Mavs had long talked trade but couldn't make it work. And they also tried to work out a three-team trade that failed.

"I think Dallas felt they had to do something," said one rival NBA exec, alluding to significant moves made in the Western Conference, moves that included the Lakers acquiring Pau Gasol and the Suns trading for Shaquille O'Neal.

Dallas lost back-to-back road games to the Nets and Sixers before facing Portland at home last night. The Nets are here in Toronto and were preparing to play the Raptors with nine men last night.
Kidd has played 997 career games, including 984 starts, and averaged 14.3 points per game, 9.2 assists and 6.7 rebounds. Despite being 34, Kidd currently is enjoying one of the best all-around seasons of his entire career. Although his points per game average is 11.3, three below his career mark, he is having his second-best assist season ever, averaging 10.4 per game, and also has the second-highest rebounding average for his team.

This trade takes Kidd’s career full-circle, back to his home for the first 2-1/2 years of his career. Kidd won the NBA’s Rookie of the Year Award in the 1994-95 season, when he averaged 11.7 points, 7.7 assists and 5.4 rebounds. He was later traded to Phoenix in December 1996, along with Tony Dumas and Loren Meyer, for Sam Cassell, Michael Finley, A.C. Green and future draft considerations.
After 4-1/2 years in Phoenix, Kidd then came to the Meadowlands in July 2001, along with Chris Dudley, for Stephon Marbury, Johnny Newman and Soumalia Samake.

Upon Kidd’s arrival, the Nets reached the NBA Finals in both 2002 and 2003, his first two teams with the league.

Since Kidd was traded to Phoenix, he has been on a playoff team each of the past 11 seasons, and that streak will almost assuredly run that streak to 12 straight seasons now that he’s headed to Dallas.
In 100 playoff games, Kidd has averaged 15.9 points, 9.3 assists and 7.7 rebounds per game.
With AP

This is not a done deal yet. Devon George has not agreed to waive his no trade clause.

Nash use to do a great job in Dallas, I think the acquisition of Kidd will definitely help the Mavericks.
Jason Kidd will do a great job and will be a great replacement for Nash in Dallas.
Devin Harris is a great player...bummer he is going to New Jersey, but I am sure he will do great there with Vince and the rest of the crew.

Nash use to do a great job in Dallas, I think the acquisition of Kidd will definitely help the Mavericks.
Jason Kidd will do a great job and will be a great replacement for Nash in Dallas.
Devin Harris is a great player...bummer he is going to New Jersey, but I am sure he will do great there with Vince and the rest of the crew.

If this goes through, I agree with IcE - good trade for Dallas. :up

Nash is a tremendous player. Dumbest thing Cuban ever did was to lose him. Now he's trying to replace him with a something inferior.

I have to agree with you. You never give up your play maker. Kidd still has some abilities, but he's looked a bit old the last few times I've seen him. He shouldn't be offered more than a two year deal

Nash is a tremendous player. Dumbest thing Cuban ever did was to lose him. Now he's trying to replace him with a something inferior.

Well he is 35 years old, but he is still putting up triple-doubles. In the short run, this makes Dallas better, in the long run - I'm not so sure. The mentality in the West seems to be , win this year.

Well he is 35 years old, but he is still putting up triple-doubles. In the short run, this makes Dallas better, in the long run - I'm not so sure. The mentality in the West seems to be , win this year.

This trade did NOTHING to solve their biggest issue....a big post up player.
You are gonna tell me Dirk is gonna try to post up against Shaq, Gasol or Duncan? Your gonna depend on....LMAO.... "Ericka" Dampier for post up offense and defense.....LMAO!!!!:haha:river:haha:river:haha:river:haha

IF and WHEN this trade goes through.....New Jersey will have commited the biggest highway robbery in the NBA in the last 10 years!

So this guy wants to stay in Dallas and protect his Larry Bird rights, and to prove his worth he shoots 0 for 11 last night. If this guy nixes the trade, the fans in Dallas will ride him out of town on a rail.

So this guy wants to stay in Dallas and protect his Larry Bird rights, and to prove his worth he shoots 0 for 11 last night. If this guy nixes the trade, the fans in Dallas will ride him out of town on a rail.
But he'll still be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and control his own destiny. I don't blame him at all. I'm sure he'd be more willing to go if the Nets offered him an extension.

He'll be a free agent, but would have been eligible for a bigger contract from Dallas then other teams could offer him, because of the "Larry Bird" rights, which would have allowed Dallas to exceed the salary cap. If these teams really want to make this trade , they will find a way.

Looks like the trade is back on.

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com
The New Jersey Nets have reached agreement on their long-discussed trade of Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks, SI.com has confirmed from league sources.
The Mavericks will send New Jersey the semi-retired Keith Van Horn in addition to Trenton Hassell, as well as Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash. In the exchange, Dallas will get Kidd and Malik Allen.
A similar trade almost collapsed last week when Devean George exercised his right to veto the trade to Dallas, and Jerry Stackhouse revealed plans for him to be waived by New Jersey in order to return to the Mavericks. In its latest form, George and Stackhouse have been replaced by Hassell and Van Horn.
The reconfigured proposal is expected to be offered for league approval Monday. If all goes as planned, Kidd could make his return to the team that drafted him when the Mavericks play in New Orleans on Wednesday night.
Word of the deal broke Sunday night while Kidd was playing for the Eastern Conference in the All-Star game. A spokesman for the Nets declined comment at the game in New Orleans.
Kidd spent the first two-plus seasons of his career in Dallas. The Mavs drafted him third overall in 1994 and he was the NBA's co-rookie of the year in '94-95. He was traded to Phoenix in December 1996, then went from the Suns to New Jersey prior to the 2001-02 season. He helped the Nets reach the NBA finals his first two seasons, but they haven't made a long playoff run since.
The Mavericks have been among the NBA's top teams the last few years, but have fallen short of a title. They're trading Harris' promising future in hopes that Kidd, who turns 35 next month, has enough tenacity and leadership to push them over the top.
Dallas has been eyeing Kidd for a while. Team owner Mark Cuban may have sped up the process after seeing other top Western Conference teams make pivotal additions.
This deal seemed done earlier last week until George whacked it. Stackhouse's talk of being bought out and re-signing with the Mavs also didn't sit well with league officials.
The big winner in this is Van Horn, who has been out of the league the last 11/2 seasons.
Dallas still owned his rights, so his involvement is essentially to make the numbers work. He'll be signed then traded -- and, like Kidd, he'll be heading back to his original team. It's unclear whether he'll actually play for the Nets, but it seems unlikely.
Kidd appeared to regard the All-Star Game Sunday as his farewell to the East. He led the East with 10 assists and 4 steals in its 134-128 win over the West. "There's been a lot of talk that the deal is close to being done,'' said Kidd. "I've heard that before. [When[ I get a call from Rod [Thorn, the Nets' president] or Cuban, then it will be official.''
But Kidd was assuming that the trade was likely to be consummated Monday. When asked about flying home to New Jersey Monday before possibly joining Dallas for its game Wednesday in New Orleans, he said: "I'll be doing a lot of traveling the next three days.''
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Looks like the trade is back on.

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com
The New Jersey Nets have reached agreement on their long-discussed trade of Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks, SI.com has confirmed from league sources.
The Mavericks will send New Jersey the semi-retired Keith Van Horn in addition to Trenton Hassell, as well as Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash. In the exchange, Dallas will get Kidd and Malik Allen.
A similar trade almost collapsed last week when Devean George exercised his right to veto the trade to Dallas, and Jerry Stackhouse revealed plans for him to be waived by New Jersey in order to return to the Mavericks. In its latest form, George and Stackhouse have been replaced by Hassell and Van Horn.
The reconfigured proposal is expected to be offered for league approval Monday. If all goes as planned, Kidd could make his return to the team that drafted him when the Mavericks play in New Orleans on Wednesday night.
Word of the deal broke Sunday night while Kidd was playing for the Eastern Conference in the All-Star game. A spokesman for the Nets declined comment at the game in New Orleans.
Kidd spent the first two-plus seasons of his career in Dallas. The Mavs drafted him third overall in 1994 and he was the NBA's co-rookie of the year in '94-95. He was traded to Phoenix in December 1996, then went from the Suns to New Jersey prior to the 2001-02 season. He helped the Nets reach the NBA finals his first two seasons, but they haven't made a long playoff run since.
The Mavericks have been among the NBA's top teams the last few years, but have fallen short of a title. They're trading Harris' promising future in hopes that Kidd, who turns 35 next month, has enough tenacity and leadership to push them over the top.
Dallas has been eyeing Kidd for a while. Team owner Mark Cuban may have sped up the process after seeing other top Western Conference teams make pivotal additions.
This deal seemed done earlier last week until George whacked it. Stackhouse's talk of being bought out and re-signing with the Mavs also didn't sit well with league officials.
The big winner in this is Van Horn, who has been out of the league the last 11/2 seasons.
Dallas still owned his rights, so his involvement is essentially to make the numbers work. He'll be signed then traded -- and, like Kidd, he'll be heading back to his original team. It's unclear whether he'll actually play for the Nets, but it seems unlikely.
Kidd appeared to regard the All-Star Game Sunday as his farewell to the East. He led the East with 10 assists and 4 steals in its 134-128 win over the West. "There's been a lot of talk that the deal is close to being done,'' said Kidd. "I've heard that before. [When[ I get a call from Rod [Thorn, the Nets' president] or Cuban, then it will be official.''
But Kidd was assuming that the trade was likely to be consummated Monday. When asked about flying home to New Jersey Monday before possibly joining Dallas for its game Wednesday in New Orleans, he said: "I'll be doing a lot of traveling the next three days.''
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

And like the LAST trade attempt, the NETS are making out like a bandit and AGAIN, no inside presence for the them OTHER THAN "Ericka" Dampier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)