Dammit Dish.............

normally when a national broadcaster picks up the game then the local RSN wouldnt carry it. That happens here with the Wild and Versus. Its suppose to be on FS North and when Versus grabs the game nationally then we have different programming on FS North

If you read the page it tells you what packages you must have to get the game in your zip (the ones in black are of course blacked out to your zip, regardless), and it also tells you which will be in HD (marked with an 'X' in the HD column).

If the channels are available through D* I would assume the same still applies, but cannot say for certain. Perhaps the difference is the MLB Extra Innings? I don't know. One thing I did notice on D* website (they list 'the schedule') is that even with that MLB EI package, not all games were in HD (some only gave SD channel numbers).

I can't say I have ever worked for a call center for D*, but I would assume the same calls happen on both sides of the tracks when it comes to blackouts. Even with MLB EI, there is probably a limitation if a local, regional, or national channel picks it up. Even D* has a link regarding blackouts, similar to ours, at the bottom of the MLB EI page.

Last edited:
If you read the page it tells you what packages you must have to get the game in your zip (the ones in black are of course blacked out to your zip, regardless), and it also tells you which will be in HD (marked with an 'X' in the HD column).
But according to that site you provided, I should be able to see games on MASN, NESN, STO when I know they will be blacked out. The only games I would be able to see are the Twins game on 436, the WGN game and the ESPN2 games. The rest would be blacked out. This is why people get mad at blackouts...the site that is suppose to "help" them can't even get it right.
If the channels are available through D* I would assume the same still applies, but cannot say for certain. Perhaps the difference is the MLB Extra Innings? I don't know.
I have the sports pack through D* and all games outside of WGN, ESPN/ESPN2, MLB Net (unless the Twins) and FSN North games are blacked out.
MLB EI is a out of market package. If I added it then I would be able to see all the games with no blackouts except for the Twins opponent feed. Those are blacked out because I am in Minneapolis. During the freeview we had I would be blacked out on the opposing teams feed. All other games I saw with no blackouts

One thing I did notice on D* website (they list 'the schedule') is that even with that MLB EI package, not all games were in HD (some only gave SD channel numbers).
correct. When the only feed is an OTA station or one that is via 4SD or Comcast Philly they may not be given the feed in HD. They also say that not every game is in HD. It all depends on the feed they get for those games on a RSN that isnt readily available or on a OTA network

Also you're looking on a Directv site? Isnt that like a Dish no-no ;)

But according to that site you provided, I should be able to see games on MASN, NESN, STO when I know they will be blacked out.

Its not automated, so it can be wrong, I will admit that. In most cases though, it seems to be accurate. I have seen last minute changes as well. When I checked it for 80241 (Thornton CO) 3 days ago, it showed Root had Rockies/Dodgers, the game on 4/09 was 'good' and then game on 4/10 was a blackout. It actually went that way. Wondering if it was 'timing' like the D* website says on its national blackout bit, because I believe it was a Saturday 'day' game, which means it likely went to the national channel (ESPN).

They also say that not every game is in HD. It all depends on the feed they get for those games on a RSN that isnt readily available or on a OTA network

So do we, by that little link you checked.

Also you're looking on a Directv site? Isnt that like a Dish no-no ;)

SHHHHH! Someone might catch me! :D I am undercover!:cool:

Actually its not a no no, so long as I am not doing bad things to it or advertising DISH is better on any forums there. I do have to concede that I wish our sports had the same attraction.

Isn't the 'edit, copy,paste' multiple quotes in a quote procedure fun? LOL

Last edited:
I don't know what these arguments are all about in this thread,.... I get mad when I want to watch a Braves game (Dish Sub) and the game is blacked out on my tv and my neighbor next door who has Directv invites me over to watch the game......................

The link that shows the maps of the RSN's is quite small, but some are wrong, as is other information as Iceberg pointed out. If I am seeing it correctly, it does not show MSG or SNY in CT, they are in all of CT. Not only does Charter Cable have them all through Eastern CT, DISH, when they carried them also did. (Yes is also in all of CT) Ct gets the NY RSN's and NESN. Not sure how far into CT, but Eastern CT also gets CSNNE.

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:
The link that shows the maps of the RSN's is quite small, but some are wrong, as is other information as Iceberg pointed out. If I am seeing it correctly, it does not show MSG or SNY in CT, they are in all of CT. Not only does Charter Cable have them all through Eastern CT, DISH, when they carried them also did. (Yes is also in all of CT) Ct gets the NY RSN's and NESN. Not sure how far into CT, but Eastern CT also gets CSNNE.

NESN is not or at least it used to not be available in the New Haven area. Seems that YES had it locked out. Of course that may have changed. In New England Connecticut is affectionately know as "New Yorkachusetts".

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Except if a local channel or national channel bought rights to the game, or its blacked out due to not selling out. RSNs can carry the event, but can be superseded by locals, just like nationals can purchase the event, but be superseded by regional providers and/or locals.

Official line (sorry for using it): "Our agreements with broadcasters require us to blackout some sporting events from time to time. These blackout rules are controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that purchase the rights to the broadcasts. Often if a game is blacked out on one of DISH Network's channels, you may be able to view the game on another DISH Network or local broadcast channel."

Football is a big time when that happens around here, and I am not sure now that Root is around the kind of blackout restrictions we will see. The second Rockies/Dodgers game was blacked out on Root but the game was still showing it was aired on Root RM. Perhaps outside of the DMA someone with MSP was able to view it. That of course is speculation.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/blackouts
Game Finder Tools

Interesting things there.
Your local team will be blacked out on MLB.TV in your zip code. These are MLB rules. If you were able to actually see it then it had to either be during spring training or a free preview. If you are in Rockies territory, then you will NOT be able to see the Roxs on MLB.TV, period.

And it has nothing at all to do with tickets sold

DodgerKing said:
Your local team will be blacked out on MLB.TV in your zip code. These are MLB rules. If you were able to actually see it then it had to either be during spring training or a free preview. If you are in Rockies territory, then you will NOT be able to see the Roxs on MLB.TV, period.

And it has nothing at all to do with tickets sold

You know, I don't understand the reasoning behind this. If you live within the team's territory they should black out the other teams feed but provide the local feed WITH commercials rather than the static MLB logo during commercial breaks. Then the channels and the advertisers are not missing out on any of their natural viewers and the most number of people possible have access to the game. A Win-Win in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You know, I don't understand the reasoning behind this. If you live within the team's territory they should black out the other teams feed but provide the local feed WITH commercials rather than the static MLB logo during commercial breaks. Then the channels and the advertisers are not missing out on any of their natural viewers and the most number of people possible have access to the game. A Win-Win in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
It is probably more about advertising. When you watch a game through MLB.TV the commercials are simple advertisement banners, usually of cars. All of the local commercials are not shown.

A few general rules I've found helpful. Both Dodgerking and Iceberg are correct in everything said. If a game involving your in market team is being broadcast by the team it must be watched on their channel be it rsn or local ota channel if the game is on national tv it will be blacked out in your area. There are rare exceptions such as Ripkin's record breaking game years ago. It does not matter if your provider decides to not carry the teams broadcast
it is still blacked on national tv. Next if your team plays on Saturday during the Fox window usually either 1 to 4 or 4 to 7 eastern time and Fox does not pick up your game you won't see it, during the Fox time slot teams are not allowed to broadcast. I think the same rule applies to espn Sunday night games but it really doesn't matter here since it's the only game at that time. As Dodgerking has already stated you can not watch in market games on MLB.tv. A terrible rule and the ads for this product are very misleading. Finally from what I can gather almost all major league broadcasts leave the stadium as HD. Hope this helps.

I think the same rule applies to espn Sunday night games but it really doesn't matter here since it's the only game at that time.
The Rangers are allowed to have home games on Sunday Nights broadcast by FSN SW but they are only available in the DFW area only.

I think full time HD for RSN could help gain more subs for Dish, most national HD and HD RSN's I would think that would be a great combo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)