Damn Transit Strike, Anyone else stranded in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully I am not, but I was watching Fox 5(What stranded New Yorkers Watch) last night and it was non-stop stuff about the strike and blurbs about routes and alternative ways to get in to town.

I saw one lady this morning got a carpool ticket for only having 3 people in her car. The rule was 4 I guess. geesh.

Don't you just love unions. I think the former president of my company summed up my opinion on unions best: " beleive that in many cases, unions are more interested in creating conflict in order to justify their existene than to actually resolving problems."

At a cost of $400m a day to the enonomy of NYC, I hope it's all worth it guys.

I have no metro north or any trains that are working. Hard to get to work when you totally depend on Mass Transit.

I sympathize with you Sean. I grew up on Long Island, and remember the grief when they went out then.

Good Luck!.

LER

It's affected our company some (not Perot Systems, but the account we're on).

Because of the transit strike some of the employees can't get to work, and are forced to work from home yet they don't have VPN.

The major of the city and employers are encouraging people to car pool but I just heard a very interested report about that. The driver of the car may or may not realize that if he is in an accident he may or may not carry the appropiate amount of insurance coverage for everyone in the car. So the driver may be liable. I do not own a car to get to work but even if I did the Highway was backed up for miles to get to manhattan. A taxi was another alternative. I guess I will have to do that tomorrow but it is not going to be easy to get one since there is only one base around here and probably getting lots of call. I will probably have to use my bike tomorrow if the weather permits :)

Dunno, watching CBSHD from NY (only NY station i get over E)

Anywho, con cops did a smooth move @ the holland tunnel, had no cops outside, after people paid the tolls, the cops were standing right next to the booths, nabbing people, very slick!

However, though luckily not fully dependant on mass transit (car!), still meh, as I am a railfan, but I do admire the class of the shutdown, getting people to where they have to be, and clearing the tracks etc!

I sympathize with the fine people of NY, NJ, CT. I cannot imagine having to rely on the government to transport me to work (or anywhere else for that matter).

A minor headache at the Jersey Shore here (unless you have to commute to Manhattan).

I had to drive to Kingston, NY today for a job meeting (about 2.5 hours) near the Catskills. No major problems except a little slowdown on the Garden State Parkway.

I hope they clear this thing up quick though, I've got some future projects coming up in the city, and closing every river crossing to anyone without 4 people in the car is gonna be a real pain (that leaves only the George Washington Bridge).

The Transit Authority should broadcast what these people get paid as well as the benefits they get. Most are still enjoying pensions and benefits that used to be common in the 60's at IBM and GM, but have since vanished from the corporate landscape. The Public Sector is just about the last place that is still generous with these perks.

Also, it will be interesting to see what happens now. Due to a law passed years ago, they are penalized two days pay for every day they strike. There are also other civil penalties. It will be interesting if they start enforcing these penalties (although it will probably be waived during the eventual "settlement").

I am heading to work. I was able to get a couple of ideas how to make it through this week. Option A right now is that I found a person who lives in my neighborhood and I am getting a ride to work. I only have to walk half a mile to meet this person. Option B in case Option A does not work (for some reason) is that a neighbord is going to drop me off at closes Metro North Station about 8-9 miles and then I will ride to Penn Station. At Penn Station, the job has set up shuttle buses that can take me uptown to work. I may have to do that coming back if I cannot get Option A to work coming back home.

Good luck! It's hard to feel any sympathy for the transit workers when they are having such a negative impact on so many lives. There is a time and a place for everything...this strike is ill-timed and ill-conceived in my opinion.:no

riffjim4069 said:
Good luck! It's hard to feel any sympathy for the transit workers when they are having such a negative impact on so many lives. There is a time and a place for everything...this strike is ill-timed and ill-conceived in my opinion.:no

Sorry riffjim4069,
This strike is NOT ILL timed at all, it was thought out very well to have the most impact possible, therefore giving the workers a fair leverage.

I am not up on all the different things that the union are trying to achive, but I remember our strike , we strock over the labor day weekend and watched the company try to do our jobs, it hurt the city and state in our situation, and we were back to work by the next Wensday I think, it's been a while, I don't remember for sure. But we got our medical issues straightend out THAT WAY .

JIMBO

Jimbos said:
Sorry riffjim4069,
This strike is NOT ILL timed at all, it was thought out very well to have the most impact possible, therefore giving the workers a fair leverage.

I am not up on all the different things that the union are trying to achive, but I remember our strike , we strock over the labor day weekend and watched the company try to do our jobs, it hurt the city and state in our situation, and we were back to work by the next Wensday I think, it's been a while, I don't remember for sure. But we got our medical issues straightend out THAT WAY .

JIMBO
I disagree! What they are doing is illegal...that's what the judge ruled and it is why they are being fined and risk being fired. It's not that I disagree with their position, but I do disagree with their tactics. Like I mentioned, there is a time and place for everything...and there is never an appropriate time to break the law and harm innocent parties.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/21/nyc.transit/index.html

Check out the live footage on WABC or FNC.

IMO, unless someone is in the Fkn army they can strike any time they please. The employers should go out and find others to run the transit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)