Dare to Dream

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AsphaltProphet

Original poster
May 9, 2008
Along with my new job, I inherited a satellite dish and receiver. they are used fairly infrequently as a part of a distance learning program so I figure they could be put to use in other ways. The system is as follows, my receiver is a Uniden ust-4500 and it is connected to a 2.5 m dish with a single Ku/C band analog LNB.

Everything works fairly well. Although I can never figure out a schedule of whats on.

I've been told I could switch to or add digital fairly easy by purchasing a digital receiver and a coaxial switch.

There is what seems to be a digital receiver kicking around the shop. It is manufactured by General Instrument model DSR406MN. It powers up the setup and menus function but I have no idea how to integrate it into my system or if that is even possible or worthwhile.

as you can probably tell from this post I am fairly clueless concerning the whole satellite FTA thing. I would appreciate any comments, ideas, or sugestions.

That GI IRD is a DigiCipher II.

What is most useful for FTA is a DVB IRD.

Your Uniden receiver is analog.

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.uniden.com/pdf/UST4500om.pdf

You might have to deal with the satellite names not matching current birds.

Try scanning around Galaxy 26 C-band throughout the day... audio: discrete wide level.. usually it's going to be either 5.8L/6.2R/6.8 mono or 6.2L/6.8R. You're sure to find some feeds still in analog.

There are some analog 24/7 channels still up there
Doc Scott on TP20 on AMC3 (W3)
Shepherd's Chapel on G16 (G4)
work your way over to 131,133,135....there are some analog 24/7 channels there

as for a schedule of the "wild feeds?"
Orbit Magazine - Wild Feeds

Do you have a magic decoder ring for those sat names?

I've figured out T6 is Galaxy 26 (93W) and G6 is Galaxy 16 (99W) just from looking at the shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)