Darn thunderstorms. I have to get a new tv, sat box, or both

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well, we had some bad storms come through late last night. I slept through most of it, but I did hear some really bad thunder, and saw alot of lightning.

Got up this morning and turned on the living room tv to watch the news like normal, and just got a black screen. The power went out, so I did a reset on the box to see if I could get it to come up. Nothing. Then I unplugged it and let it sit for a while. Still nothing. Naturally, I assumed it was the receiver.

Now I am thinking no. It appears that both HDMI input ports on the back of the set are fried. I swapped my PS3 and HR-20 back and forth, and I can get nothing from either of them.
I am however getting a feed through my E* setup with S-video, and the component inputs (or the one I tried anyway) seems to be fine.

It just seems really odd that all of the HDMI ports would go out at the same time, and nothing else (or nothing that I have found anyway, i am going to do some more playing around with it this evening).

Well, we had some bad storms come through late last night. I slept through most of it, but I did hear some really bad thunder, and saw alot of lightning.

Got up this morning and turned on the living room tv to watch the news like normal, and just got a black screen. The power went out, so I did a reset on the box to see if I could get it to come up. Nothing. Then I unplugged it and let it sit for a while. Still nothing. Naturally, I assumed it was the receiver.

Now I am thinking no. It appears that both HDMI input ports on the back of the set are fried. I swapped my PS3 and HR-20 back and forth, and I can get nothing from either of them.
I am however getting a feed through my E* setup with S-video, and the component inputs (or the one I tried anyway) seems to be fine.

It just seems really odd that all of the HDMI ports would go out at the same time, and nothing else (or nothing that I have found anyway, i am going to do some more playing around with it this evening).

I had a power outage a couple months ago, and it took out my Olevia 537H lcd tv. Wouldn't even power up. I was able to re-flash the firmware for the tv from my computer, (tv has a serial port for this) and it FIXED IT!. So, If your tv set is flashable, perhaps you can reflash it, and it'll fix it.

Man that Sucks. What are you going to do? How old is the TV?
Dont know yet. I can probably run the HR through component, but this is not ideal, since I already have those inputs full. I am going to see when I get home. The repair costs will probably be fairly high, so I could sell it and buy a new one for not much more money

It is a year old panny plasma. Great tv. It really makes me sick

I had a power outage a couple months ago, and it took out my Olevia 537H lcd tv. Wouldn't even power up. I was able to re-flash the firmware for the tv from my computer, (tv has a serial port for this) and it FIXED IT!. So, If your tv set is flashable, perhaps you can reflash it, and it'll fix it.
I may look into this. Thanks

Are lightning damages covered under your homeowners insurance?

Also, did you have your gear hooked up to a surge protector? If so, those things are supposed to guarantee protection up to a certain value, aren't they?

Are lightning damages covered under your homeowners insurance?

Also, did you have your gear hooked up to a surge protector? If so, those things are supposed to guarantee protection up to a certain value, aren't they?
It is, but the deductable would probably negate any advantage of filing with them.

Yes, they are hooked up, however it would seem that it got in through the sat box rather than the electrical outlet. Of course that is just a guess.

Well, it is the tv. The HDMI ports are bad.
I did get my directv running, but I had to unhook some other things to hook them into one of the component inputs, and now I have to get a component cable for my PS3 (I really do not want to do that).

Having lost a computer a few years back to lightning, we now shut down and unplug both the electric cord and the internet cable every night and whenever we are gone or there is a storm. 2 summers ago the large old pine tree between the neighbor and me took a hit. We had unplugged everything before it hit but still lost a ceiling fan that was running (the light still works though) the cable modem, and a power adapter for something. Quite a while after that I discovered that I can't turn my main breaker off, don't really know if that was caused by the lightening but suspect it was. The neighbor lost his TV, 2 computers, phone service among other things. The lightning must have came through the ground to both houses. Bad stuff!

Rey may have found the replacement part that I need at a great price! I am going to check the board in the tv soon, and order it if they are the same.

Thanks to everyone for the advice:up

Rey may have found the replacement part that I need at a great price! I am going to check the board in the tv soon, and order it if they are the same.

Thanks to everyone for the advice:up

let us now how it goes chief

Sorry to hear about that.

We had another round come through last night. Tornado Warning was issued
It got so bad, we actually woke up the kid and left te get out of the way of it. Fortunately there was no damage

We had another round come through last night. Tornado Warning was issued
It got so bad, we actually woke up the kid and left te get out of the way of it. Fortunately there was no damage

I was at my cabin alone up north 2 summers ago. It's Sunday morning, around 7am, and there's a AWESOME thunderstorm going through. I have the porch door open, with the screen door in place for air, and listening to the noise of the rain.

I'm sitting in my rocker chair, watching tv, and all of a sudden, "KABOOM!" :eek::eek::yikes

It sounded like a warhead went off, about 10 feet from my door! After I pulled my fingernails out of the ceiling, (yup, I shot up there like a cat!) and dropped back down to the floor, I looked out the windows. A few minutes later, a firetruck shows up at the neighbors house, which is only about 100 feet away.

Lightning hit his house, inducted through the roof (didn't punch a hole) traveled along wiring (or something, maybe he has metal studs, as its a newer house) made it's way to the basement, and blew a chunk of concrete out of his slab down there. Fried his cable modem and tv, and he nearly had a heart attack from the sonic boom!

Missed his 500 gallon propane tank by like 30 feet! Thank GOD that tank didn't blow, or we really would have been made an ash of ourselves...

I can relate.

I have actually been struck, or as close as you can be without being directly hit.

When I was around 15 or so, the fam was taking a trip to new orleans. Well we were at the zoo when a massive thunderstorm came up, so we took shelter in the snake pit exhibit (creepy!).

Well, it looked like it was clearing out, so we decided to make a break for it across the central courtyard back to the boat. We got about halfway there when my head felt like it was about to explode, and my vision went bright white. Then came the sound! I swear I thought I was dead.
After a few moments, my head cleared and I looked around and saw my dad picking himself up off of the ground, and a group of people were running towards us asking if we were ok. They said that my dads hair stood up on end right before it struck. It must have hit a tree 3 feet way from us, because there were several dead birds that fell out of it immediately after it happend.

It turned the metal ring at the top of my baseball cap black (actually scorched my head a little right in that spot), and fried the watch I had on at the time, on top of a SPLITTING headache.

I can relate.

I have actually been struck, or as close as you can be without being directly hit.

When I was around 15 or so, the fam was taking a trip to new orleans. Well we were at the zoo when a massive thunderstorm came up, so we took shelter in the snake pit exhibit (creepy!).

Well, it looked like it was clearing out, so we decided to make a break for it across the central courtyard back to the boat. We got about halfway there when my head felt like it was about to explode, and my vision went bright white. Then came the sound! I swear I thought I was dead.
After a few moments, my head cleared and I looked around and saw my dad picking himself up off of the ground, and a group of people were running towards us asking if we were ok. They said that my dads hair stood up on end right before it struck. It must have hit a tree 3 feet way from us, because there were several dead birds that fell out of it immediately after it happend.

It turned the metal ring at the top of my baseball cap black (actually scorched my head a little right in that spot), and fried the watch I had on at the time, on top of a SPLITTING headache.

I would have had to change my pants after that.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)