Darn Trees....I need 12 feet!!

S

starpm

May 11, 2008
Help....just built a new home in the woods...200 ft driveway and the only place the Dish guy said we could get a good signal was near the bottom of the driveway, and then should be at least 10 ft high. We will eventually be putting a storage shed there, and can mount the dish on the roof, but we need a solution until then. My husband was looking at a design similar to a windmill base. Any ideas on mounting a dish 10-12 feet up?

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I've seen dishes mounted on large trees. And they work. At least for a while.

C

Chena

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 1, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I've seen dishes mounted on large trees. And they work. At least for a while.

Or att least until the wind starts blowing. We got our dishes in the winter and one was mounted on a tall aspen, the other on a tripod. When the ground thawed they were mounted on poles. Whenever it was gusty we briefly lost signal.

lakebum431

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
If you are trying to get more than 1 satellite on a dish (a Dish 500 or Dish 1000), a tree mount is not going to work very well. In order to get more than 1 satellite you have to "give up a little" on signal strength in order to get the others. So a little movement can go a long way.

F

Fredinva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2005
Plant a 6 x 6 post in the ground, then use a ladder.
it worked for me!!!

fred

vegassatellite

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Make yourself a telephone pole by cutting one of the trees on your property, sink it at least 1/3 of the length in the ground. Attach guy wires on 4 sides to counteract wind forces. Use a truck winch to pull the guys tight.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I'm certainly not recommending a tree mount. But the one I saw was on a large tree, and not very high. No wind movement. Just a convenient mount for a lazy man, I guess. Tree growth must affect it.

vegassatellite

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
As long as you realize that a tree is not ideal and definately not a long term solution, and that it will need to be moved, you can always go with a tree mount depending on how long until you get a shed down there.