Data services?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Change

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
What data is there coming down off of satellites? I know of NOAAPort on AMC4, is there anything else? News reports in text? I'm looking for more things to play with that would justify the purchase of a TwinHan 102G :)

Probably true, but 1) that data is likely going to be completely useless to me and 2) monitoring such data may be a violation of 18 USC 2511...under (2)(g) it says "It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person-- (i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;"
I wonder what they consider "readily accessible to the general public", does a dish, LNB and PCI card count for that?

*edit*
18 USC 2510 contains definitions:
"(16) "readily accessible to the general public" means, with respect to a radio communication, that such communication is not--

(A) scrambled or encrypted;

(B) transmitted using modulation techniques whose essential parameters have been withheld from the public with the intention of preserving the privacy of such communication;

(C) carried on a subcarrier or other signal subsidiary to a radio transmission;

(D) transmitted over a communication system provided by a common carrier, unless the communication is a tone only paging system communication; or

(E) transmitted on frequencies allocated under part 25, subpart D, E, or F of part 74, or part 94 of the Rules of the Federal Communications Commission, unless, in the case of a communication transmitted on a frequency allocated under part 74 that is not exclusively allocated to broadcast auxiliary services, the communication is a two-way voice communication by radio;"

Time to hit the FCC rules to see where the Ku band falls, and check the Communications Act of 1934 to see what the definition of "common carrier" is.

Last edited:
WOW! Now that is some "Change". You've already given enough Law to turn me away. Not that I would ever listen in on someones conversation "intentionally". I realize you're not interested in that sort of thing. I was only trying to point out that most of the Data is "probably" that sort of thing. I'm sure there are plenty of other types of Data you can access.

Al

Yeah, I've seen a lot of DirecWay stuff on Lyngsat...was just hoping to find some other nifty stuff up there.
And the laws about what is/isn't considered eavesdropping aren't too clear...if it would be considered eavesdropping to tune in those transponders, or what.
Just things to contemplate :)
Lyngsat doesn't list NOAAport, I wonder why? Emailed them the info, we'll see if it shows up.

Last edited:
Correct. I submitted the info I have to Lyngsat (hope it's correct), we'll see if it pops up soon!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)