databahn 1.2 meter for fta?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 8, 2006
maine
my question is can databahn 1.2 meter satellite dish be used for ku fta? is it possible to attach the sg2100 motor to it? i cant find anything on google or here. one is local for me to get at a real cheap price. any input would be appreciated.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
- what country are you located in? In the USA, 1.2m would be almost overkill for Ku. :)
- can you show us a picture of this dish, mounting bracketry, and LNB?
- Offset feed or prime focus?
- what is the price? $20 is fine. Above $50, I'd have to think about it . . .
- the 2100 motor is a bit light weight to swing a dish that size, but that's not a definite "no".

edit: I looked up your old posts: "... i moved to maine zip 04416".
The DG380 motor from Sadoun would be a better match to a 1.2m dish

Last edited:

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 8, 2006
maine
thanks for the reply. thats what stumped me is i couldnt find a pic on google. i was only looking to spend about 10 on fleebay but it is a local pickup (and dismantle). i didnt want to dump a couple hundred for a whole setup because i dont know if the trees that are on another neighbors property will block any line of sight (plus im cheap:). the motor you sugested will be what i will get from sadoun. is there limited c band also that can be picked up if i used a conical lnb?

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
opinion:

Yea, that DG380 should handle most 1.2's, even if you have to remove their mount to reduce weight (recommended).
I've read nothing bad about it, and it's the biggest brute currently available.
When you have more info on the dish, we can give you better advice.

"databahn", must be some local company.
They undoubtedly used a commercial dish, just as you see Musak logos and Primestar logos on great quality ChannelMaster or Prodelin commercial dishes.
Is the dish stamped steel (take a magnet), or is it a molded, fiberglass reinforced resin (in which case, it'll have molded ribs on the back side).
example: MexSunny and molded dishes in Mexico:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/131140-pics-dish-farm-post-yours-too-8.html#post1618007

I'm not a big supporter of C-band on little dishes, but a 1.2m is getting big enough to be more than just a toy.
Use your own discretion. Many threads and discussions on the forum.
I'd concentrate on a good LNB and feedhorn for Ku (dish may come with 'em) to get started.
Then over time, as you read more, you can make the leap and deal with the expense (probably $100 for LNBF and conical scalar) to try C-band.

To tell if your neighbor blocks your access to particular birds, see:
ThisBUDsForYou and his soda straw inclinometer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html
Delta Charlie had some variation on the idea, too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/146479-15-min-duct-tape-elevation-gauge.html

PS: if I saw a $10 offer for a 1.2m dish, of most any kind, I'd grab my tools and be out the door! - :up

Last edited:

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 8, 2006
maine
thanks Anole for that tip i just printed it and will be heading outside. the dish i have no clue but i am going to contact the seller for a pic of it. the ad said it was used for ku business internet. im thinking it is the type seen on top of gas stations and fed ex buildings. i was hoping that because of the size of the dish it would keep me busy dxing for a while.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
rules for 1.2m dishes:

rule #1: if it's a molded commercial dish, get it
rule #2: if it's a two-way internet connection dish, get it
rule #3: if it's in good shape and only $10, get it
Any questions? - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)