Day-1 - did Dish provide any promised Olympics HD last night?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Maybe I missed it or my receiver's screwed up but I couldn't see where Dish provided any HD of the 4 hours NBC HD ran last night? In either MPEG2 or MPEG4.

I'm not talking about those with 211 / 411s and HD locals getting the normal NBC HD feed or those getting NBC HD OTA, I'm talking about the HD coverage Charlie PROMISED all Dish HD subs.

If I'm mistaken, then someone please remove this thread.

Ya, I thought the same thing, Only thing that has been on is UniHD. Most of the stuff on UniHD is just hockey, none of the other sports, like sking, snowboarding, figure skating, and speed skating.

Yep it would seem that instead of an HD Olympic channel we get the Hockey and HD Knight Rider Channel. Now the crappy programming on UniHD is NBC's fault. But why oh why can't DISH have realized that the stuff people actually want to watch is on NBC HD? This is even worse than 2 years ago. At least there things were just delayed.

I read somewhere that NBC isn't going to do skiing and snowboarding in HD because of running lines up a mountain or something like that.

rdinkel said:
But it was only shown on NBC local stations. No national NBC HD feeds.

I don't recall anything being said about the availability of a "national NBC HD feed". Source?

NightRyder

Scott covered this already. The HD channel for the Olympics that Charlie was talking about is UHD. And since all I really care about is hockey, the best sport on the planet :D, I am fine just with it since that is what UHD will be covering. US Women's matchup on right now with the Swiss team. US leads 2-0. Go USA!

Now I know the same predictable Dish apologists will jump in with their usual flap but the point is this is just the latest in a series of Dish lies.

You can color it any which way you want but the fact is what Charlie said on the chat and what Dish is delivering for Olympic HD doesn't even come close to reconciling.

Not one single Dish MPEG2 receiver saw the opening ceromonies last night unless they got it with an OTA channel.

And apparently not one single Dish MPEG2 receiver is going to see any where near the kind of hours of Olympic HD that Dish has been saying.

"Dish apologist"- what the heck is that?? So there are two camps- those who complain about everything Dish does and those who are fine with everything Dish does? Just want to get a definition of that if I can please.

Last edited:
waltinvt said:
Now I know the same predictable Dish apologists will jump in with their usual flap but the point is this is just the latest in a series of Dish lies.

You can color it any which way you want but the fact is what Charlie said on the chat and what Dish is delivering for Olympic HD doesn't even come close to reconciling.

Not one single Dish MPEG2 receiver saw the opening ceromonies last night unless they got it with an OTA channel.

And apparently not one single Dish MPEG2 receiver is going to see any where near the kind of hours of Olympic HD that Dish has been saying.
I'm glad I have a Comcast 6412 HD DVR right next to my 942, or I would have missed opening ceromonies in HD. They also just added Universal HD.

Odd, it was clear to me from what Charlie said PLUS what has be said on this forum for the past 2 weeks that the only add on the satellte HD from NBC would be universal channel and a highlight channel plus that useless six in one channel.. I never heard from ANYWHERE that the regular NBC feed would be opened up to us, except in the major markets where the local HD has happened. I got what I expected.

langlin said:
Odd, it was clear to me from what Charlie said PLUS what has be said on this forum for the past 2 weeks that the only add on the satellte HD from NBC would be universal channel and a highlight channel plus that useless six in one channel.. I never heard from ANYWHERE that the regular NBC feed would be opened up to us, except in the major markets where the local HD has happened. I got what I expected.

Well if you read their press release here http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=813105&highlight=
where it said:
DISH Network also announced today that it will broadcast the NBC Olympic coverage in high definition available to all DISH Network HD viewers.

So when I read that I assumed that by "NBC Olympic coverage" they meant the coverage that was going to be on the NBC network stations. And when DISH said "all HD viewers" I figured that people with an 811 counted. I even emailed the E* contact on the press release asking what channel they would mirror the NBC content and she emailed me back saying 9427 would be "a mirror of the NBC affiliate".

So in this case you expected less and are not disapointed, I expected E* to do at least as much as they did for the superbowl and was disapointed.

MacKenzieIII said:
Well if you read their press release here http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=813105&highlight=
where it said:
DISH Network also announced today that it will broadcast the NBC Olympic coverage in high definition available to all DISH Network HD viewers.

So when I read that I assumed that by "NBC Olympic coverage" they meant the coverage that was going to be on the NBC network stations. And when DISH said "all HD viewers" I figured that people with an 811 counted. I even emailed the E* contact on the press release asking what channel they would mirror the NBC content and she emailed me back saying 9427 would be "a mirror of the NBC affiliate".

So in this case you expected less and are not disapointed, I expected E* to do at least as much as they did for the superbowl and was disapointed.

If you hang out here long enough, you'll soon realize that some of these people are either in denial or just don't remember what they read.

Personally I don't think it's too much to expect them to do what they said they would do. Maybe it is where Dish is concerned. Anyway, this is just some of what Dish has said on the subject of this years Olympics in HD:

From CC recap:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=444999&postcount=11

Jim DeFranco: If you are a current HD subscriber you may have an 811, 921, and 942 and you are receiving the current HD services through MPEG-2. All new HD services, except for the special HD Olympic Feed, will require a new MPEG-4 equipment - a 211 or 622 DVR. We just another 5 VOOM HD channels and this will put us over 1700 hours a week of HD programing. We will carry a special HD feed just for the olympics.

Charlie: If you do not want to upgrade, we will keep the current HD Pak and VOOM channels. But if you want to get the additional HD services, you will need to upgrade. Winter Olympics will be broadcast in MPEG-2 in HD free of charge. Olympic Channel will availabe Feb 1st.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks the Olympics don't start for a week. They will not be listed until then.

The transponder they are going to use for the special Olympics HD channels and Special Universal HD MPEG2 feed are currently being used for Sundays SuperBowl.

Scott on 2/2/06:
The HD Olympic Channel will not be up until February 10th.

The NBCHL channel is now online, and this was the channel they meant to say was coming online February 1st, not the HD channel.

It is still up in the air if Universal HD's Olympic coverage will be made available to all or not.

Scott on 2/10/06
You wont see it untill later today (or possibly even tommorow) because the Opening ceremony is not until tonight.

What I want to know if where is the second HD channel that was talked about at CES, on the Charlie Chat, and which has also been talked about between me and the Dish PR department.

And there are others on this board and the other discussion groups.

Edit: Almost forgot this one from the Dish press release:

"DISH Network also announced today that it will broadcast the NBC Olympic coverage in high definition available to all DISH Network HD viewers."

Last edited:
sonnyboy11 said:
Scott covered this already. The HD channel for the Olympics that Charlie was talking about is UHD. And since all I really care about is hockey, the best sport on the planet :D, I am fine just with it since that is what UHD will be covering. US Women's matchup on right now with the Swiss team. US leads 2-0. Go USA!

And you call this kinder garden women's exercise a hockey?

LOL!

Last edited:
waltinvt said:
Scott on 2/10/06
You wont see it untill later today (or possibly even tommorow) because the Opening ceremony is not until tonight.

What I want to know if where is the second HD channel that was talked about at CES, on the Charlie Chat, and which has also been talked about between me and the Dish PR department.

I'm with Walt and Scott... I would like to know where that "special" HD Olympic channel is as well... I would think every HD sub would be asking that question! For me with my 942, having to record NBC off the OTA means that other network broadcast OTA over the next few weeks would be skipped. It's not as if we were out picketing before the Olympics demanding the feed... but once E* promises us this stuff, we would like it get what they promise us. Come on, E*... either quit promising us things, or do what you say you are going to do. They sure don't mind taking credit for it when they announce it!

Walt keeps fighting the good fight on this stuff... I'm glad someone is! :)

waltinvt said:

I have all HD from Olympics using Dish receivers from local NBC OTA and Universal HD. :up

Minsk1 said:
I have all HD from Olympics using Dish receivers from local NBC OTA and Universal HD. :up

FYI: NBC OTA isn't provided by *E and can be viewed using ANY reciever.

Minsk1 said:

Now that's a real productive statement. OTA IS NOT Dish Network providing it. You just happen to be picking it up on their OTA tuner JUST like you could on any other digital tuner.

waltinvt said:
Now that's a real productive statement. OTA IS NOT Dish Network providing it. You just happen to be picking it up on their OTA tuner JUST like you could on any other digital tuner.
Well, how productive is it for you to post a new thread complaining about Dish every day?

Why dont you just change providers and be done with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts