daylight savings time question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Derwin0 - that shouldn't be necessary since any pre-existing (and pre-firing) timer will be fine. The only problem is with a timer you create now (before the time change) that is not supposed to fire until after the time change. This includes one-time and recurring timers. This is because as of now (before the time change), your guide data is an hour off. Once the time change rolls around, the guide data will be correct. If you must create a new timer before the time change that is not supposed to fire until after the time change, just set its times manually to the correct real times.

I know that I shouldn't, but I want to avoid any unforseen consequences (like a dish bug making my wife miss her favorite show and blame me). At worse it'll cost me 15-30 mins. of effort on Sunday, and will probably let me cleanup some of the timers while I'm at it.

I've seen companies mess up time changes before, and it wasn't fun.

Good points there, knock yourself out :).

Back around this time of '99 when I worked for my university's computing center, in the midst of their programmers checking and fixing everything for Y2K stuff, I came in one Monday to a slew of problem reports from all over campus, mostly staff. The mainframe (at that time they had a Hitachi clone of an IBM mainframe I think) had freaked out somehow from the time change over the weekend. And when the mainframe goes ill, the sh*t really hits the fan. Critical reliance, you know. Just some weird sort of irony with their focus on Y2K (reminds me of Office Space :D - thumbs up their ...).

Foxbat said:
This is why most of us Hoosiers just smile while the rest of the American TV-watching public have to run around the house twice a year, changing all their clocks... :D

Have fun!

Arizona has the same rare sanity in not observing Ben Franklin's worst idea, but no one here who records signals originating from outside the market (virtually all cable and DBS channels other than locals) is smiling about it. In fact, the problem with everyone ELSE changing is more of a problem than if Arizona changed with them. It usually takes me 6 months to get completely used to the changes...just in time for a new batch of changes.

As far as DISH PVRs, I've been through this many times (since 1999) and last year I thought I had it figured out. I changed all of my timers before Saturday night, expecting DISH to follow a pattern similar to years past. One of my PVRs made the transition just fine, and two of them compensated automatically, meaning I had to go back in and change all of the timers back.

So its a moving target. I think in light of that experience the best strategy is to not change anything until after the fact, and to pad recordings on Sunday morning by an extra hour if you can't make the changes at a reasonable time.

In my particular case, DISH changed ALL of my PVR clocks (3 different models) to be an hour different from the local time last February, and has never been able to fix that yet, which is why I'm now thankfully a DTivo guy once again instead. Hopefully, Tivo will not be bothered by DST since it pays attention to titles instead of blocks of time.

One note - I just looked into next week on my guide, and ALL shows are one hour off - along with ALL my timers.

However, I am NOT concerned - all the 'wrongness' is exactly right once the clocks change. It looks totally off at the moement, tho.

Indiana is the other state that doesn't observe it. Well, the majority anyway. Certain counties near Chicago, Cincinatti, and Louisville (including my county) observe it. When that happens, during DST, we have to remember the county north of ours is on Indiana time, as well as the capital.

If I remember, Hawaii is also standard time year-round.

SimpleSimon said:
One note - I just looked into next week on my guide, and ALL shows are one hour off - along with ALL my timers.

However, I am NOT concerned - all the 'wrongness' is exactly right once the clocks change. It looks totally off at the moement, tho.

Don't set up any timers until the change. Everything should be fine from tomorrow on...... If you set up timers within the last 7 days however, check them tomorrow to make sure they are still set for the right time.....

As expected, some of my 921 timers corrected themselves, and some did not. Just as we've all been saying. I deliberately set a 'bad' timer. That is, used the guide and 'crossed' the time change. It did NOT correct itself. Manual timers by time-of-day were fine, as were pre-existing recurring timers.

My Sunday AM news shows were all screwed up - but I think the networks were moving programming around due to election day.

All my timers adjusted to the new schedule, so I didn't need to change a thing (one was manual, the other was set via the Guide.) Cool!

SimpleSimon said:
I deliberately set a 'bad' timer. That is, used the guide and 'crossed' the time change. It did NOT correct itself.

I corrected two timers on my 510, but forgot one on the 921.

If only one could predict when SDT & DST changes were going to occur. Oh wait, everyone except Dish Network can... :confused:

A warning to anyone who created a timer between 10/23 and 10/31, delete them and redo them to make sure you don't have a problem. Timers set before 10/23 should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)