Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Looks like I will be heading to the Dayton Havention this May in Dayton Ohio. Any other SatelliteGuys members going?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I wish! Haven't been in 4 years. Why would we want to go to the greatest electronics flea market on the planet? However, though we can go to the Moon, Hara Arena can't get the toilets to work well.

Wish I could make it, but I won't be going this year. Good chance that Dave will be going though.

Hey Scott,
I will be there and I would like to meet up with you. I have my ticket already and can't wait to get there.
Are you going to be in a particular booth, at the Hamvention?
mikelib

I was planning on going but a buddy is getting married that weekend so I’ll be in Mexico. I’m nervous about going to Mexico so if I make it back I’ll be there in 2014 for sure :)

I've lived in Dayton for almost my entire life, but I have never made it to the Hamvention. It is a huge show and I know lots of people who go every year. Maybe I will try it this year. I can recommend places to eat for people who don't know the area.

Also, for anyone who goes to the Hamvention, please take time to go to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. You won't regret it, plus it's free! My office is directly across the street from the entrance of the museum and I can look out my window and look at the planes on display outside the museum.

Hey Scott,
I will be there and I would like to meet up with you. I have my ticket already and can't wait to get there.
Are you going to be in a particular booth, at the Hamvention?
mikelib

Nope I will be going as an attendee this year. I have never been before so I am looking forward to checking it out. :)

I've lived in Dayton for almost my entire life, but I have never made it to the Hamvention. It is a huge show and I know lots of people who go every year. Maybe I will try it this year. I can recommend places to eat for people who don't know the area.

We have 3 nights to eat out and one of my favorite places is the Dublin Pub. My buddy likes the Pine Club, but I don't enjoy it, I just go along with the group, do you know of a better restaurant like the Pine Club???

Hotels in Dayton are likely all sold out by now. If so, pick one outside of town (e.g. down the freeway to the south). Even if many miles away, for the savings on the hotel cost, you can find a clean simple hotel and then rent a car to comfortably go quickly to and from the Hara Arena at your leisure!

The Pine Club is very good, just remember it is cash only. There is a new restaurant downtown called Jimmie's Ladder 11 (on Brown Street). It is a nice pub/restaurant with entertainment some nights. It is in a restored old firehouse. I love the Dublin Pub also and they are building a new one closer to my house this summer (I live about 15 miles south of Dayton). If you want to venture a little further south, there is restaurant called Rue Dumaine in Centerville. Fabulous food but beware it is a little pricey. Get the chocolate gelato for dessert (worth the trip!). Off of 675 there is a place called The Greene. Many good restaurants and bars are there (Flemings, The Pub, Cheesecake Factory, Bar Louie, Brio Tuscan Grille). If you like pizza, I highly suggest Dewey's Pizza off of Brown Street near the University of Dayton. The salads are great there also. And if you want to venture further south, the best steak anywhere is at any of the Jeff Ruby steakhouses in Cincinnati. They are more than worth the drive (and the money) but make sure you get a reservation first. Also, fantastic ribs at Montgomery Inn in Montgomery, OH. TJ Chumps in Miamisburg has great food also. Great hamburgers and their soups are all homemade and very good. If I think of any others I will post.

The Pine Club is very good, just remember it is cash only. There is a new restaurant downtown called Jimmie's Ladder 11 (on Brown Street). It is a nice pub/restaurant with entertainment some nights. It is in a restored old firehouse. I love the Dublin Pub also and they are building a new one closer to my house this summer (I live about 15 miles south of Dayton). If you want to venture a little further south, there is restaurant called Rue Dumaine in Centerville. Fabulous food but beware it is a little pricey. Get the chocolate gelato for dessert (worth the trip!). Off of 675 there is a place called The Greene. Many good restaurants and bars are there (Flemings, The Pub, Cheesecake Factory, Bar Louie, Brio Tuscan Grille). If you like pizza, I highly suggest Dewey's Pizza off of Brown Street near the University of Dayton. The salads are great there also. And if you want to venture further south, the best steak anywhere is at any of the Jeff Ruby steakhouses in Cincinnati. They are more than worth the drive (and the money) but make sure you get a reservation first. Also, fantastic ribs at Montgomery Inn in Montgomery, OH. TJ Chumps in Miamisburg has great food also. Great hamburgers and their soups are all homemade and very good. If I think of any others I will post.

BearcatScott,
Thanks for the info, I am going to try and get to Jimmie's Ladder 11, sounds like a nice restaurant. I just printed out your list thanks again.
Mike Lib

We always know when it's "hamvention weekend" 'cause you'll see all the cars/trucks/vans with dozens of antennas on them !

As for hotels being sold out -- no way ! On the northwest side of town, maybe.... Not that many people go to Hamvention.

The latest attendance figure I've seen is over 22,000. That's the highest attendance in the last 10 years. It is one of the largest gathering of amateur operators in the world for a single event along with Tokyo Hamfair in Japan (about 29,000) and Friedrichshafen in Germany (about 15,000). There are more licenced amateur radio operators in the U.S. now than ever before in history: 700,000+. People think ham radio is dying. This is not the case according to the figures. Thailand has an ever-growing ham population (and many are youths unlike on this continent!) with over 247,000 licences now.

When I last attended in 2009, every hotel that I called in Dayton proper was booked. I had to stay in Centerville, about 10 miles south of Dayton.

Dude... I have enough air points from my credit card for 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii... I'd be embrassed if I blew those points on a trip to OHIO!

Last year I found a room off of interstate 75 in Fairfield Inn Dayton North. When I got there the motel was booked solid with hams going to the hamvention.
The manager was a mddle aged women who thanked each one of her guess for coming to Dayton, her parting statement when we checked out was "God Bless all you Hams.
In 2011 I was in Dayton for the Hamvention and I watch a news report, the reporter said that Hamvention weekend brings in over 10 million dollars to Dayton

Dude... I have enough air points from my credit card for 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii... I'd be embrassed if I blew those points on a trip to OHIO!
Then you have no excuse not to go! My 1983 travel itinerary on one trip: Karachi=>Frankfurt=>Paris=>NYC=>Dayton=>Vancouver=>Tokyo=>Karachi. I was proud to include Dayton. At JFK, they were so suspicious about this itinerary, I got special frisking treatment in Immigration. I just told them I'm going to see the finest ham radio show in the world.

Status
Please reply by conversation.