Dayton, OH locals PQ

SSeitz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I am having some issues with the PQ of the Dayron, Ohio local channels. Currently I receive the locals off of the 129 satellite. I am using a Dish500 with an I adapter and during clear weather have a signal strength of 105 on transponder 5 (where these channels are located). Even during miserably rainy days (thunderstorms) the signal only drops into the 80's. Anyway I am getting frequent pixellation and programming that skips a second or two. My receiver is a 501 and I have done a complete restart without any improvement.

My question: Is anyone else receiving these channels having similar problems? Do these same problems exist with signals from the 105 satellite? (I would try this bird but I don't have a FSS LNB). :eek:

Thanks.

No problems here in Kettering. I don't watch a whole lot of the locals, however, and the ones I do watch are over the air in HD.

You get a 105 signal strength off of the 129' satellite ?? That's amazing ! To be honest, could you re-check it ??

You get a 105 signal strength off of the 129' satellite ?? That's amazing ! To be honest, could you re-check it ??

I completely concur. To be honest, I really have to wonder if that's a true reading.

Truth be told, you're better off using the 129 Vs. 105. The best I ever got on that sucker was 85. And that sort of reading is an average for the 129 in that part Ohio. I'm wondering if you're having an issue with either your 501 or the LNB itself.

After Dish cranked up the "power" on 129' to help customers in the NW part of the US (Washington, Oregon), I get mid-80s on some of the transponders for 129'.

When I first installed my Dish1000 I could only get a mid-80's signal strength on the 129 bird, transponder 5. I purchased a used Dish500, added the I-adapter and very carefully peaked on the 129 sat using the transponder 5 reading to guide me. I would guess that the Dish 500 has almost twice the usable area compared to the Dish 1000 just looking at them side-by-side. I will say that when you get heavy clouds you lose about ten on the signal and raining takes it down another ten to about 85.

And yes, I did re-check the signal strength last night - from 101 to 105.:up

Just to be clear..

I have one Dish500 with the single LNB from a 1000 setup aimed at 129 only.
I have another Dish500 with the DPP LNB from a 1000 set aimed at 110/119.

The single LNB feeds into the DPP LNB on the adjacent dish. A single feed line comes from the DPP LNB and runs about 25 feet to my 501 receiver.

On the strongest transponders the 110/119 will max out the meter. On the average transponders it shows something like 115 to 120. I don't have the specifics written down on all the transponders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts