Dayton, Ohio local HD service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dadams0618

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
My Dish is in eastern Indiana and I am told that due to my location I must receive local channels from Dayton, Ohio even though it is another state. (I would much rather get the locals from Indianapolis, but that is another issue!) I bought a Sony HD TV this week and am informed that no HD local Dish service is presently available due to "contract issues" with the Dayton stations. (Sounds like a long-term problem.) I can install an outside antenna w/ amplifier and reach Dayton but don't want to go to the expense if Dish is going to carry the stations anytime soon. Does anyone know when this might happen? May I assume that it will be no later than the "drop dead" date in 2-09? Thanks for any help.

My Dish is in eastern Indiana and I am told that due to my location I must receive local channels from Dayton, Ohio even though it is another state. (I would much rather get the locals from Indianapolis, but that is another issue!) I bought a Sony HD TV this week and am informed that no HD local Dish service is presently available due to "contract issues" with the Dayton stations. (Sounds like a long-term problem.) I can install an outside antenna w/ amplifier and reach Dayton but don't want to go to the expense if Dish is going to carry the stations anytime soon. Does anyone know when this might happen? May I assume that it will be no later than the "drop dead" date in 2-09? Thanks for any help.
Even when Dayton would get the HD locals, an OTA antenna gives you the option of recording three network shows simultaneously if you were to get a dual receiver DVR. OTA will also probably give a bit better picture quality since is would be less compressed.

The Dayton TV market includes Wayne County and always has. Dish has no control over that.
Dayton.gif

This map is from the 2006/2007 TV year.

Your options are, use an OTA antenna and a Dish 622. They work great and you should be able to pick up the Dayton AND Indy channels OTA with cheap outdoor antenna, or just the Dayton channels with a decent set of amplified rabbit ears.

Option 2, "move" one county over. :)

See ya
Tony

I've heard nothing definitive about Dayton digital/HD locals coming to Dish. I don't even recall Dayton being on a list of "planned" launches for this year.

Thanks for the suggestions. My Dish is in western Wayne County and my residence is in a low area. If I face direct east towards Dayton I run into a building on my neighbor's property. Would an indoor antenna be a realistic possibility? Any suggestions for one to buy? I have a physical disability and could not install an outside unit.

The odds of an indoor antenna working at that distance is pretty slim. At least with an indoor one, you can buy them at Wal-Mart or similar stores and easily return them if/when they don't work.

If your main concern is getting Colts games in HD, you could do like I did and "move" to Nashville, TN and get their locals in HD. Since the Tennessee Titans are in the AFC South with the Colts, you will get to see most Colts games as long as they aren't playing at the same time/same network as the Titans. The only bad part is that Nashville is Central time zone, so your guide times will be off by an hour (but the actual guide will still be accurate, ie the show that it says is currently playing IS acutally playing).

I noticed that Knoxville, TN recently got their locals in HD, and I believe they're in the Eastern time zone, but I'm not sure whether they're on a spot beam and if you'd be able to get them.

How do I accomplish the "move"? My billing address is to my office in Indy and my service address is in Wayne County. I have thought of telling Dish that my service address is elsewhere, but how would I get service from them at the actual location? Also, don't want agents from the FCC breaking in my front door (LOL).

You just have to change your service address. (BTW, Indianapolis does not have HD locals on Dish yet) If you want you can use the Indy billing address as your service address and move the billing address to Wayne County.

How do you get in-home service when something breaks? You don't. At least not from Dish.
Most of the time they just want to send you parts that are easily replaceable over the mail. If that's the case they you just have them send it to your Wayne County billing address. However, if you truly require a technician, you are on your own.

See ya
Tony

*BUMP*

Now that the re-runs have subsided, we're running into 2-3 nights where we have to record a show in SD vs HD because of overlaps. Last year I set manual timers to record the first 10 minutes in SD then the remainder in HD. Kinda annoying and not doing it this year....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts