DBSForums

me too..after Jeff bashes me for the umpteenth time and the 1st time in 3-4 years. His contest was running until 6/23, he closes it early and then the site goes down the next day...I thought they were closing the site because the contests were closed early. and then you couldn't read anything. Jeff tells me the contest didn't close early...I give up...it is down again.

TNGTony said:
The progression of DBS Fura ---

DBSDish --- Died a painful quick death when the new owners were critisized for firing John (founder) from his admin duties and a short-lived user rebelion.

Echostaruser.org -- a stop-gap set up by EKB founder John Buffington. This board was set up as a brief stop-over while the new replacement board was set up.

DBSForums -- founded by Dan as a replacement to DBS Dish. This took three weeks from the time DBSDish was shut down without notice

DBSTalk --- started by Chris, Scott and others who thought that the atmosphere at DBSForums was too stuffy and lacked the sense of community DBSDish had.

Satelliteguys -- Started by our friend Scott G after a schizm at DBSTalk.

There were a few other minor boards in the interum, but none ever gained the readership or community these did. I seem to remember something like "DBSAmerica" on EZBoards just prior to DBSTalk coming around. And currently there is another satellite board out there with 4-6 people reading it who resent any new posters and make them feel totally unwelcome! :)

See ya
Tony

Your forgetting Dishretailer.com which was formed in December 1998 after dbsdish closed down the dealer boards,

I know he was running a fourth of July contest.

Running Contests all the time takes a lot of work, I am sure Jeff is getting burned out already. I have seen that he has changed the rules a few times to get more people to play, but you cant do that when a contest is running.

I do userstand why he did it thought. As I said running those contests can burn a person out, trust me I know be there done that and even have the T Shirt. :)

I hope that DBSforums does NOT go away. It has a lot of great historical resources. If Dan does shut it down I would like to host it here (Closed to new posts) so that the history could be saved and shared with all those who wanted to learn about the history of DBS.

I do like the new look of the board, I could use design help like that here at SatelliteGuys which is feel is way to cluttered. :)

I don't think Jeff is a bad guy although I have seen some nasty things him and John King said about me as they worked to try restarting DBSforums. But whatever I am big enough to move past that.

Running a site like this is more work then most think and its almost like walking a tightrope somedays of whats right and whats wrong.

With that said I hope dan comes home and kicks the server again.

This is Jeff and just to clarify some things. First Scott, you are right, we have had our word of wars in the past, but like you it really never gained either one of us anything and the reality is we both have enough to concentrate on in our lives. The contest was set up poorly by myself. Trust me, money isn't a issue when it comes to our contests, but more about getting people to play and enjoy them. MikeI, I haven't bashed you. You were correct in some of your statements but your assumption of the contest and server doing a hick up were incorrect. You say one thing here and another there. I understand your distaste for me, but get in line. DBSForums isn't going anywhere. Dan, as we have stated has been busy and as such the server pretty much has handled the load. It burbed and Scott can tell you about that. I spend all my time complimenting this site and others. We all have our different styles and people, but between us, we create a wealth of information for customers and a ton of feedback for the providers. So that is about it in a nutshell. Scott, did you get seasick?:)

Scott, you're just going to put everything back to how it was 2 months ago, or going to try and find a hybrid of then and now? Stuff is dying down here in the basement...

I don't know why we need another mod for this area, it's not really a heavy need is it? Besides the mlb.tv threads that are becoming annoying but there's some irony involved there when you consider who's posting those...

DBSFORUMS shows up in searches on sites like yahoo. If I was to search out nfl preseason tv schedule I would eventually run into a link that sent me to a post on dbsforums. The reason I found dbsforums first and have been posting in the sports part of their site for about two years now is excatly that. I found out this site had some of the things they have when the other site is down through a member of both groups. This is why I joined this group today. This also why I reposted some of the posts that I posted over there that might be helpful to members of this group and also might draw others to this group. I agree with the post of one other person as well. If you want traffic in this group to increase, it needs to be brought up closer to the top of the list. It would be very easy to over look if I hadn't linked it into my favorites.
Scott Greczkowski said:
Down here as well.

I would love to have the Sports Traffic they have there here.

Anything we can do to improve our sports section?

One thing I would do as a moderator though is ban all those 1972 or whatever year NFL announcer posts. They get posted supposedly correct, others come in with corrections. same 4 people respond with more corrections. That's got to be the biggest waste of space ever. :)

Down here as well, although I have a feeling that the problem is the huge storm thats moving through the area.

They will be back, this I am sure. :)

The server is not at an ISP like out is, so whenever there is a storm and a glitch in electricity or even noise in their DSL line the site goes offline.

Sure they could move it to an ISP but why spend the money. Us oldtimers who have been on DBSForums (and before that DBSDish) realize that its run out of someones home as a service to all and we also understand that stuff happens which may make the site unavailable for periods.

Its a great place to go hang out in a slow placed quiet atmosphere, one with most of the members who know what they are talking about and a very low number of newbies.

DBSForums is a great place to relax.

I knew that it was run out of someones home, I just was suprised weather could affect in that way, but I understand how that works because the weather can affect my dsl connect here as well. As it is I have been a member there for over two years now. It is good site and great information source, which I have help to add to over the last two years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)