Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I decided to add a splitter to one of my stacked LNB's for 97. Both ports are power passing.

Should I add a DC block to one side? I know you should normally due to the boxes maybe clashing on polarity but since stacked polarity is V on all TP's I'm thinking no.

I know it woudln't hurt but just wondered if I could get by without a DC block on one side

good engineering practices

Regardless that the two receivers may be delivering the same voltage, you should never hook two power supply outputs directly together.
One is always put under stress.

If you just -must- hook up for something immediately, I suppose you could set one receiver to "LNB Power: OFF"
But for the long haul, that's not a good (safe) fix.

I'd get the block, a different splitter, or come up with another creative way to wire it.

When I had my Starchoice stacked LNBF hooked up, I took apart a cheap splitter (removed the circuit in it) and put a small ceramic capacitor from the LNB to the receiver connection to act as a DC block. Then from the LNB connection to the other connector a diode. On the connector with the diode I used an old power supply to power the LNB. The output of the homemade power inseter went into a splitter to supply four receivers. This was all from odds and ends I had around. This worked great untill I upgraded to an elipital dish with the quad output.

Agreed use a block. I have a somewhat similar setup with power supplies to stack a qph-031 into a custom stacker and in turn a dpp44. While you are correct that you only have the same voltage going to them, as someone above said, sharing voltage can only lead to potential trouble. Who knows if the other side is setup to protect against voltage input, spike or anything like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts