DC HD locals; frequent pixelization...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
...is that a word? Anyway, its gotten so annoying when watching prime time shows, that my wife is watching the Oscars tonight on the SD locals instead. (that's blasphemy, I had to leave the room. ;) ).

Every time I watch a prime time show I always see a few incidents of pixelization. These aren't minor...these are screen pauses, picture gets distored and green blocks appear randomly all over the screen before it resumes. In most cases I just ignore it but tonight its happening a lot, and is interrupting speeches and such.

Again, I don't care too much...the only thing that really bothers me about it, honestly, is hearing my wife complain about it. :D

Is this common on Dish locals or just a Washington DC area thing? (the pixelization, not the wife complaining about your new toy...I know that's a global issue.)

Thanks.

...is that a word? Anyway, its gotten so annoying when watching prime time shows, that my wife is watching the Oscars tonight on the SD locals instead. (that's blasphemy, I had to leave the room. ;) ).

Every time I watch a prime time show I always see a few incidents of pixelization. These aren't minor...these are screen pauses, picture gets distored and green blocks appear randomly all over the screen before it resumes. In most cases I just ignore it but tonight its happening a lot, and is interrupting speeches and such.

Again, I don't care too much...the only thing that really bothers me about it, honestly, is hearing my wife complain about it. :D

Is this common on Dish locals or just a Washington DC area thing? (the pixelization, not the wife complaining about your new toy...I know that's a global issue.)

Thanks.

I'm in Dumfries VA and I get the same thing, especially on ABC HD. The signal strength for sat 119 is only around 65 for me. Maybe that's the problem. I'm trying to figure out the minimum strengths are for the sat signals so pixelation is not an issue.

From what I understand, 60-65 (50%) is the point at which most receivers can 'lock' the signal. A single point below that, and they can fritz out, doing exactly what you guys describe. I'm hoping you meant your 129 signal was 65, and not your 119 signal. Even in Dumfries, your 119 signal should be at least 90-100 without too much trouble. 129 is a different situation. It is harder to get a good signal, but even 65 is low for that bird. What are you signals in the point dish screen?

You should check the signal strength of 61.5. Its my understanding that DC HD locals are on 61.5.

Nothing You Can do

I had this problem with Philadelphia HD locals off of 61.5 - even with a signal strength of 100!

As you stated, especially ABC-HD.

Dish could not fix the problem over a 9 month span of me complaining. They obviously have issues with their encoders - and can't do anything to fix it. Hence, now i watch crystal clear HD locals on FIOS TV.

Be prepared to deal with this pixellation.

Unfortunately, FIOS is not available in Dumfries, VA and won't be for 2 years. 61.5 has a signal of around 92-100. I have two 500's and don't get 129. From what i've heard, I don't want or need 129. I just wish 119 would be stronger. Like you said, it probably wouldn't help ABC HD.

The funny part was, DISH told me they could see the problem - but were never able to fix it - and, based on these posts, still haven't.

It was very frustrating since there are quite a bit of good prime-time shows on ABC.

I recorded LOST last week on my OTA tuner and it was full of glitches and distortion. I don't think Dish is gonna be able to provide you a picture any better than what the station is broadcasting. The stations are the problem, DIsh is just passing along what they get.

I recorded LOST last week on my OTA tuner and it was full of glitches and distortion. I don't think Dish is gonna be able to provide you a picture any better than what the station is broadcasting. The stations are the problem, DIsh is just passing along what they get.

Well if that's the case than Comcast and FIOS customers should be having the same complaints!?

I suppose I was/am trying to find out if this is due to my signal strength or its in the Dish Network HD transmission (which is what I had assumed). I'll check my signal strengths.

Todd,
If your signals are lower than 70, it may be adding to the issue - but it's more than just signal levels.

And it's not the stations, since as I said, in the past 2 months that i've been on FIOS TV, not one bit of pixellation - EVER.

Todd,
If your signals are lower than 70, it may be adding to the issue - but it's more than just signal levels.

And it's not the stations, since as I said, in the past 2 months that i've been on FIOS TV, not one bit of pixellation - EVER.

And you are receiving DC area broadcast on FIOS even though you stated you had Philly stations?

I say its the stations and I look at them regularly over OTA and there are days when the stations are not crystal. I get the DC stations and I see them daily.

Plus, he said his 61.5 was greater than 90 on the signal strength.

Todd,

Checked last night. 61.5 signal strength is 100.

I also watched some of the Oscars my wife had recorded. (I wanted to see the Will Ferrell song) The sound was awful in the segment I watched...picture okay, but frequent sound drop-outs.

FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)