DD 5.1 prob on 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
Hi all

I have a new strange problem. I recorded NUMBERS the other night and when I started to play it back, besides the "Broadcast in HD" banner at the bottom as it started, it also said "Dolby Digital 5.1".

My problem is I get all the background music and the picture and the receiver shows all speakers on, BUT NO voices. I have a 5.1 capable receiver and have never had a problem with DD before.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Terry

The commercials play everything fine, then when the show starts, I loose the voices - just have the background music, next commercial starts, voices are back. All speakers are working fine.

What kind of problem do you mean with the local station?

Terry

Your local station most likely is not sending all six channels of the DD5.1 audio correctly. i.e. they are not sending what you are missing.
Commercials are only sent as 2.0

Right, typically the dialogue is only sent through the front center channel (with just a little of it coming out other channels for dimensionality). It does seem like a strange cause, but I guess it could happen that they are sending a DD5.1 stream with the original center channel's data gone or corrupt yet leave the channel active.

And I'll add to what Kevin is saying, in DD2.0 the dialogue is just coming out the front left & right speakers (per normal 2-channel stereo sound).

UPDATE.
OK, last night as I was watching CSI, I noticed it said "HDTV with DD 5.1" as it started, so I hit the record button. I watched the show fine, then replayed the recorded version to see if it did the same thing as NUMBERS did recorded a few days earlier. IT WORKED FINE. So obviously everything is working OK and like you mentioned, the local station must have not sent the center signal. I'll check. OH YEAH - I live in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Thanks for all the suggestions - Terry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts