DD5.1 problem, no center or surround channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

richard_rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
I am a new voom customer, just installed this past Monday, Love the hidef channels but i am having two pblms.

1. First problem was pixelation and audi dropiuts every 2-5 seconds. I found the post with the week OTA signal info and removed that OTA channel from the guide and all is fine with that pblm now!

2. I get no center or surround channel signals sent to my AV receiver. The receiver tells me that it is detecting a 3/2 signal, but the output to the speakers is acting like a 2/0 signal. I realize that not all channels are recorded in 3/2, and that many are 2/0 only, but my receiver will tell me when a channel is 2/0 or 3/2 as i change channels, and the 3/2 programs are not sending any info to the center and surround speakers.

I know my DD5.1 system is OK because i have been using it for the past 4 years with no problems and i took the same Fiber port and hooked it to my DVD player and Dishnetwork IRD and the center and surround channels work fine with them.

Has any one seen this pblm, voom CSR was no help too me!!

That's because the many of the VOOM Original channels have sucky sound. Mainly the Cinema 10.

There is nothing wrong with your reciever.

NOHDjunkie said:
That's because the many of the VOOM Original channels have sucky sound. Mainly the Cinema 10.

There is nothing wrong with your reciever.

I have the problem with all channels/programs that are supposedly broadcasting a DD5.1 soundtrack. HBOHD, StarzHD ShowtimeHD all were broadcasting movies with a 5.1 sountrack and my AV receiver shows 3/2 (ie.. 3 front , 2 rear) but the actual sound from the speakers is like a 2/0 (just front left and right, no front center or both rear surround speakers). I then switched over to my Dish 811 IRD and verified that the HBO and SHOW movies were sending true 3/2 DD5.1 and i had sound info in all 5 speakers.

HAS anyone else tested this out. Does VOOM support DD5.1 Sountracks on movies that have them inbedded in the audio tracks. I can't imagine no one else complained about this if they don't support surround sound. What good is a Home theater if you can only get 2 speaker stereo sound from a HiDef movie that is supposed to be sending Digital surround sound.

If HBO HD is doing the same thing then something is wrong. The Premium channels always had good sound.

Might be something wrong with your MOTO STB.

VOOM definately supports it.

It does vary in quality, more by actual content than by a particular channel, IMO. I've seen several good 5.1 renderings on Cinema10.

Last week my center channel speaker got disconnected and I ended up watching Six Feet Under on dishnetwork. On VOOM ALL the dialog was in the center channel - serious separation, but it was impossible to watch without the center channel.

I thought the same thing when I got Voom. But many movies that are shown make little or no use of the surround channels. So I think it depends greatly on the movie. Three that I've seen recently blew me away with awesome surround:
Bad Boys II
Ice Age
Star Wars II Attack of the Clones
When you listen to movies like these and compare them with 80% of what's being shown - they blow the others away!

Ditto on system settings, even if you are receiving a stereo signal, it will still be encoded for Dolby Prologic and you should get all of your speakers active. Make sure you are not set for stereo output in the setup menu and also set it for bitstream and not PCM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts