Deactivated H10 for OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

The Marquis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I have a single receiver setup, an H21. I'd like to use my old deactivated H10 for OTA, and I read that it just needs to see the satellite in order to boot. What's the best way to do that? Can I simply use a splitter?

Is the multiswitch expensive?

Can I move the coax from my H21 to my H10, turn it on, move it back to my H21 and just leave the H10 on?

Is the multiswitch expensive?

I didn't mean you needed one - I didn't know if you had one, or the wiring went straight to the dish... ;)

Can I move the coax from my H21 to my H10, turn it on, move it back to my H21 and just leave the H10 on?

Give it a try & see - won't hurt anything if it doesn' work.
'course everytime the power goes out, you'll have to do the same thing...

I don't believe I have one. I think the wiring goes straight to the dish. I'll try the cable swap thing; hopefully that will work until I can run a second wire or get a multiswitch.

No, no, now that I know your coax goes straight to the dish, forget the switch.
It wouldn't do you any good for your situation - you MUST run a separate coax to the dish, period.

I BELIEVE

I believe you can use the receiver after you let it boot up as long as the power doesn't go out or gets rebooted. Don't quote me on it but you should disconnect the coax from the other receiver and let it boot up the guide and then disconnect it after you scan for the ota channels. Let us know what happens.

I believe you can use the receiver after you let it boot up as long as the power doesn't go out or gets rebooted. Don't quote me on it but you should disconnect the coax from the other receiver and let it boot up the guide and then disconnect it after you scan for the ota channels. Let us know what happens.

I did exactly that and it worked no problem. I haven't hit the power button on the H10 yet but it should be fine as long as I don't unplug it. My only issue now is how to get my H10 and H21 to live side-by-side without remote inteference.

Edit: Did a PDPU, no problem, and I figured out the remote thing.

Last edited:
The unit rebooted itself over the weekend. I unplugged it for a minute, reattached the sat. coax and all I could get from it was a "finding satellites failed" message. I tried resetting it, nothing works.

I SUGGEST

I would suggest to try it again, no reason why it would reset due to not having a coax from the dish hooked up. Make sure you select the right dish on the setup and try again.

I would suggest to try it again, no reason why it would reset due to not having a coax from the dish hooked up. Make sure you select the right dish on the setup and try again.

Tried it again. I get "Finding satellites failed." Went through the setup, same thing. The unit was pretty hot when it rebooted; I'm guessing it overheated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.