dead ktc-sr901 - replace w/901, 902, 903?

NoahsMyBro

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
I've got a KTC-SR901, that I installed in October 2003. The unit is controlled from a KCA-R70FM display/controller/FM modulator.

A few days ago it appears to have died. Whenever it is turned on, all that displays is "Antenna Error", and no sound is output.

I've visually inspected the antenna wires from where they exit the antenna to where I routed them into the car (under some weather stripping around the tailgate, then under weatherstripping around a taillight), and again from where the wires exit the interior plastic and lead to the tuner. The wires did not have any visible damage, and had not come loose from the tuner.

I'm assuming the KTC-SR901 has bit the dust. Online, it looks like I'd have to pay at least $20 for a .pdf of the service manual, and ebay seems to have 901s, and 902s, for about $20.

The vehicle is a 2002 Mazda MPV minivan. Disassembling the dashboard to install the KCA-R70FM unit was a huge pain, and I'd rather not repeat that to remove it. SO, I'd prefer not to just ditch this ancient equipment and buy a new portable unit, although I'm thinking that might be the wisest, least expensive option.

If I choose to get a KTC-SR902 or KTC-SR903 (from ebay, presumably), is there some way to use the existing antenna with them? I'm guessing I'd need an adapter of some sort.

Will the KCA-R70FM work with either of those?

Would I need to use the RCA-out connectors? Currently the only wires connected to the KTC-SR901 are power, antenna, and the thick cable going to the KCA-R70FM.

(Actually, currently the tuner unit is out of the car altogether, but everything else, including the wiring, is still there, hanging out under the driver seat.)

Thanks for any advice, guidance, or recommendations.

-- Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)