Dead Power Inserter for DPP44 switch

thebaggins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Southeastern PA
I had the power supply for one of my switches go this past weekend, and before I buy a new one I was wondering if anyone knew that the output voltage and currents were? I have a few laptop power supplies around the house and was hoping to recycle one of those for this application.

I have repaired a few of those . take the 4 rubber pads off the power supply to expose the screws to take it apart. there is a internal fuse that might have blown.(soldered onto p.c. board) also visual inspect the capacitors to see if any have a bulge on the top. I think it supplies 5 volts and 22 volts to the ( coax hook up device ). not shure of the current rating on it. i have extra 1 around the shop here if u need it. will let it go for 10 if u cant get yours up.

Thanks for the offer, I'll dig into it and check it out. The green LED still lights but I think the heat may have gotten to something inside of it since its been in the attic for about 3 years

If you have a Dual tuner on port one, you really dont even need the power inserter. I have a 722 and 222 running without the inserter for several years now. Infact I had all kinds of trouble untill I took it out.

I know of an install thats been running for years now without a PI.
It was a service call I went on and I said first off there's your problem right there.
So I hooked up a PI and that didnt fix it. Turns out it was something else.
anyway he didnt understand why he needed to pay for one if it works fine without one.
I said ok,pulled it back out and said give me a call if it quits.
He never did

I would think you will have a tighter margin of error.
any weak link like a bad connector or a long cable run without that extra power could cause problems.

set up = (1)722 flat cable (apt) 4x4 1000+

I don't have any dual receivers in my setup so that is not an option. Setup is a 1000+ feeding 2 DPP44 switches to 6 Vip 211k. Hoping to find time this weekend to dig into the power supply and see if it's fixable. Thanks for all the info.

Even if you have the dual receiver on port 1, I like using a power inserter for the simple reason if you have to disconnect that dual receiver for any reason, the rest of your receivers stop working.

I can confirm the PI provides around 20VDC..... One other advantage of a PI is if you have a OTA antenna with a preamp, you can use the DC voltage from the PI to drive the preamp. In an install where you are using a diplexer and a single coax for SAT and OTA, you can use a diplexer that passes DC on all legs on the SAT/antenna end of the cable.