Deader than dead Coolsat 7100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skjellyfetti

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Arizona
I was working with my Coolsat 7100 PVR to use for my 1.2 meter C- band project, and when I turned off the box with my remote we had a power failure, and now my box is very dead. Tried the RS232 straight cable fix but it didn't work so my question is can the CS 7100 be revived by any method or is just a door stop?

I'd open it up and look for blown capacitors on the power suppy ( or anywhere else for that matter ). A power surge would not be uncommon, in conjunction with the power failure, and the stress MIGHT have been taken by a few cheap capacitors. Always pay to look under the hood for the obvious.
:)

I am curious, I have a multimeter, is there any kind of a test or procedure that can be done on the power supply to tell if it is actually working?

There could be a fuse on the Power Supply
Unplug from wall before testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If fuse is found, and tests Good, you could prob test the supply while plugged in, but you are at your own risk there. :)

There are probably voltage designations next to each pin where the cable connecting the power supply to the board is. You could measure each of those and see if they match what's printed on the board.

I have one of these, I could rip it open and take a look.

Yes there is a fuse on the P/S board, it looks like a little reddish brown barrel it's a T2 AL 250V, and it is still good as I tested the 2 contacts with the ohms meter, but when I test the power going through the 7 pin ribbon cable going to the main board, I get no voltage readings.

As you all might guess is that the power supply board got fried. The boards they use are cheap as you may agree. I had my old Ariza board fail after one year of service, rather than trying to fix the old board I went hunting through all of my spare stb's and found that the power supply from a DirecTV Samsung ird was the ticket. it had all of the neccessary voltage taps and more and it fit inside the case with minor mods. The power supplies used in the BIG GUYZ stb's are a much better quality, you can tell just by looking at them. My Ariza is working perfectly thanks to a free DTV Samsung IRD I picked up from the Freecycle in my area.

That's great McGuyver, I changed my subscription from DTV to Dish last summer and now I have 5 DTV stb's sitting in a box in the garage. Will have to dig them out and see what I can come with. Thank you all for your input.

The boards usually have the voltages marked clearly, just make sure they match accordingly and you will have to splice wires and make other mods. If it doesn't work keep shopping, there's always the Freecycle.com in your area, place an ad asking for old sat receivers and you'll be surprized. I picked up 4 or 5 and one was a Dishnetwork DP301 which Dish replaced for free with a newer DP311 model as a second ird to my subscription. I have another DTV Samsung ird here, I got a matching pair for free with one remote that works as a universal, can't refuse those freebies. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)