Dealing with fan noise 722 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
How does everyone deal with the constant fan noise on the 722 in the bedroom. THe thing is driving me crazy. I have 2 722s and they both sound the same.

How does everyone deal with the constant fan noise on the 722 in the bedroom. THe thing is driving me crazy. I have 2 722s and they both sound the same.

Probably not fan noise, as in fact it usually is off. If it is the fan and you don't have your 722 confined, then you have a problem. Note make sure you do switch the system maintenance from 3am to some other time or it will wake you when it reboots and kicks the fan to high for a several seconds.

Most likely it is disc noise, which is moderate, but tolerable. Way quieter than some other devices with discs that I own.

The fan in my 622 almost never runs - only at start-up/reboot or at a lower speed if the ambient temp. is elevated. (It could run at full speed in exceptional conditions.) That is the normal operation, and I have confirmed that the fan is generally not running. Are you sure it's the fan that you're hearing? If so, then perhaps your unit needs better ventilation. Regardless of the noise source, fan or HDD, you can do as garys suggests and relocate the unit to another room. At least one member replocated his 622 to a closet in the basement successfully. The HDMI HD connection can be run for at least 50', component connections further. You could use the unit in the Single mode only in which case your TV2 remote (UHF) would serve, or you can get another IR/UHF remote (model 6.3, I believe) to enable UHF for your TV1 location as well...

The noise wouldn't bother me, I sleep with my ceiling fan on high.
I can't stand a completely quite house. The air noise of a fan will just lull me to sleep. Some folks have to have it completely quiet. I have known people that a ticking clock would bother them. Now on a technical note, if the fan on a receiver is running all the time the receiver is not getting enough air flow. (restricted some how) They will not work well closed off. I have a 625 in a cabinet with a lot of other electronic equipment that creats heat however there is no backing on the cabinet and about an inch or so from bottom to top and side to side free space. The fan comes on for about 15 seconds every 30 minutes or so. No big deal.

Last edited:
Apparently this problem existed for quite some time. However, I just got my first 722 and placed it in the bedroom. At night, the receiver is turned off (stand-by mode), there are no recordings scheduled and I move the update time to 12pm, yet the fan just keeps working non-stop and it drives me crazy. I checked the temps and it had high 140, low 120 and average 86.

I called tech support and was hopping to get a replacement, but no, they have to send a technician. What is he going to do, tell me that this is normal? The receiver in the TV cabinet, but there are no back wall behind it and no doors in front of it.

Is there a way to stop it?

If the noise is intermittent, then it is either the hard drive or the unit is overheating. If it is constant, it is probably the hard drive.

I have an old Panasonic Showstopper (ReplayTV) that I put a computer case fan on top of to pull air out (if you think the 622/722 run hot) and it is noisy, but it is constant so it acts like white noise to drown out all the other little bumps in the night - I sleep like a baby, but if it should stop, I'd pop wide awake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)