Dear Dish, please support larger hard drives

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
750GB drives are getting more and more rare and are no longer the sweet spot.

1.5TB (twice the capacity) drives are now the per GB sweet spot. Please up your limits. (That goes for anyone from DROBO if they're reading this as well.)

750GB drives are getting more and more rare and are no longer the sweet spot.

1.5TB (twice the capacity) drives are now the per GB sweet spot. Please up your limits. (That goes for anyone from DROBO if they're reading this as well.)
Bigger is not better for archiving. The bigger the drive if it bites the dust, the more you loose. 500BG is the biggest I will use.

I agree. Dish should allow bigger EHDs. I haven't bought one yet and the reason is, I know 750gb is still kinda small when you are talking HD.

I don't think the design intent of the DVR feature for the 211 was to have storage/archival capabilities of boundless proportion. That seems to be more the purview of the 722/622 with the external storage media feature enabled. On the 211 and 211k 750GB is in fact the limit.

I agree tho that 750 GB is no longer the sweet spot. Manufacturers also seem to be heavily discounting the smaller drives to flush out inventories. That could make it hard to find 750 GB (and smaller) drives before long.

The drives will still be found because I think many computers will only accept a hard drive up to a certain size? There will be smaller sized hard drive sizes available for a while but the limit is not a good thing if the 750 GB or less hard drives become harder to find sooner rather than later.

I also think it is good to store the content on multiple drives and you get better bang for the buck sometimes buying multiple drives rather than one large drive when they first become available and you dont lose all your content off of one drive.

I also think it is good to store the content on multiple drives and you get better bang for the buck sometimes buying multiple drives rather than one large drive when they first become available and you dont lose all your content off of one drive.

I could see not wanting to lose all of your saved movies/tv shows. My problem is lack of space. If I only have room for one EHD, then I need to get the biggest one. If Dish allows HDs with a higher space cap then everyone will be happy.

They said on one of the earlier Tech Chats that larger(larger than 750) hard drives would work as long as they were single disk hard drives.

This is absolutely correct! Furthermore, I and family at another location are using the WD My Book Home Edition 1TB and it works fine. Others have reported this drive working, as well. The key, as stated, is that it must be a SINGLE drive, as is the WD My Book Home Edition 1TB.

Furthermore, on 2 previous Tech Forums, Dish did say that they will have a software update to support 2 drive external HDD to support the demand for greater capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts