Dear Friends... (A Note about the Sling Adapter Promotion)

Now that I have had a little more time to tinker with it it appears as if I can't play my OTA channels? Anyone else experiencing that problem?

Another strange thing I have noticed is lets say I'm watching CNN and after a few minutes I exit back to the guide and select BRAVO the video player starts again and for like 5 seconds or so it is CNN still and then BRAVO comes on. (No big deal just wondering if others have experienced that)

In my previous post I mentioned channels where missing from my guide.. Just as a thought when I came back a couple hours later all the channels were listed this time.. Strange how sometimes the guide is complete and others it's not.

Still a great product.. Just sharing little quirks I have found with it.

Kevin.

Received my sling adapter on Thursday and Friday night we were watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond live on my wife's Droid X while driving down the interstate. Very acceptable picture quality and smoothness. Amazing!

I really like how the DVR recordings from both the internal drive and the external USB drive are combined together in one listing. The video quality while streaming within the home I think is very good.

We have also experienced the problem when changing to a new channel sometimes the previous channel still shows. If we try again once or twice, we can get the correct channel.

So far I am really impressed with this thing.

.....We have also experienced the problem when changing to a new channel sometimes the previous channel still shows. If we try again once or twice, we can get the correct channel.....

I have found that when changing to a new channel on the laptop, I see the new listing on the right, but the old channel on the left, often. Pressing the stop button seems to fix it immediately, forcing an immediate channel change.

tklein68 said:
Received my sling adapter on Thursday and Friday night we were watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond live on my wife's Droid X while driving down the interstate. Very acceptable picture quality and smoothness. Amazing!

I really like how the DVR recordings from both the internal drive and the external USB drive are combined together in one listing. The video quality while streaming within the home I think is very good.

We have also experienced the problem when changing to a new channel sometimes the previous channel still shows. If we try again once or twice, we can get the correct channel.

So far I am really impressed with this thing.

Watching TV and driving, Brilliant

Well, a brief description of my installs, and using DRA. The installation of the adapter itself was simply plugging it in. The ViP722 receiver in my master bedroom recognized it and put up a banner noting it had been attached.

First, I did the iPhone. Using Safari, I went to Dish.com. It recognized that I was on an iPhone and gave me a different screen, ultimately loading a dish app. After that, access via the dish app works just fine. The process wasn't exactly as described in the instructions, but close enough. Of course, it's a small screen, but over 3G it is quite acceptable for one person to watch for short periods, or even two, really close people. My wife was amazed.

Second, I set up the W7 FF4 laptop. I did this over a moderate 3G connection. It loaded a Firefox add-on. This was rather lengthy, perhaps because my av s/w was so carefully examining everything. A restart of Firefox is required. There are 4 quality settings: auto, good, better & Best/HD.

The PQ and AQ on the laptop was lousy over "2 bar" 3G. Via wireless, also, it had too many breakups and lip sync was just awful. I figured it was my miserable Fios Actiontec wireless router. Then suddenly, :eureka:. Or perhaps more accurately, DUH! I forgot, my master bedroom ViP722 was connected thru a hub! A brainless, bandwidth destroying, HUB! So I moved the little red wonder down to the living room ViP722. Now, over the same wireless, it works just fine, just leave it on auto. Same for the laptop over a 2 bar 3G, just fine. This weekend, I'll run a VGA cable from the laptop to a TV in our RV and see how it looks. Assuming, of course, we can get anything over the (barely) 3G out there.

BTW, I've run it over RJ-45 also, to good effect.

It is interesting to watch the ViP722 turn itself on and shift in and out of dual mode. Flawlessly. The one thing it does not seem to do is turn itself off when you're done. Minor problem, but it means I need to hit the power switch before using my Harmony to control my system.

Now I've got to run the master bedroom ViP722 directly, bypassing the hub, and leave all the other stuff on the hub. Glad I ran two drops there. Too bad I need four.

Favorites lists would be real nice.

I tried dish online briefly, not much to say there. Maybe after I've used it more.

In short, it seems to be really worthwhile. If it works at the campground, I'm sure we'll get a lot of use out of it. I'll report on that, later.

Does anyone know how the actual video data is transferred when using the Dish App for the iPhone?

Does it pass through Dish's website or after the initial authentication and such does it pass directly from your home network to your phone?

Obviously the less hops the video stream has to take the better.

Thanks,
Kevin.

That makes sense.. Hate when the obvious answer to my own question is right in front of my face. ARGH.. LOL

LOL. It really isn't that obvious. I receive a 2nd set of locals, OTA. They came up in the guide while using the sling. I had hopes that I would be able to view them as well as the sub channels from my primary locals. But when I selected them, they came up as PPV.

Now that I have had a little more time to tinker with it it appears as if I can't play my OTA channels? Anyone else experiencing that problem?

Kevin.

Hmm. Just had a thought. We might be able to program the ota channels to record and then watch the playback. So in effect you could watch your local ota's with a very slight delay.

Haven't played with that yet, but we shall see.

Hmm. Just had a thought. We might be able to program the ota channels to record and then watch the playback. So in effect you could watch your local ota's with a very slight delay.

Interesting idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Actually isn't a big deal for me.. Everything of any importance on OTA is also on Dish. About the only time I use OTA is if we are having a torrential downpour which living in South Florida happens more often that we would like. Thankfully they are usually between 5 - 7 so it doesn't affect prime time :)

Interesting idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Actually isn't a big deal for me.. Everything of any importance on OTA is also on Dish. About the only time I use OTA is if we are having a torrential downpour which living in South Florida happens more often that we would like. Thankfully they are usually between 5 - 7 so it doesn't affect prime time :)

We watch a fair amount of PBS, some on the sub channels plus the Syracuse locals aren't part of my DMA (Rochester,NY) and I do record shows from there.

I don't see that option either... when I go to that link I see "The system is currently unavailable, please try again later. "

Mine did the same thing at first.. The next day it was working correctly.. Maybe it takes time to run through the system..

Sure wish this sucker would work on my nice new 211k :)

I have a 211k and I would love the sling adapter for it, I'm tempted to buy a slingbox solo for it but others have said that the slingbox solos have a capacitor issue which makes the thing die after a year of use, also a ton of complaints on how useless their support is.

main reason why I have the 922, if it fails at least I know that dish will replace it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts