DECA II Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Im tellin ya if you take two deca's and put power inserters on both of the ends that would plug into a receiver, then connect the two "bottom" ends together via coax, all will work fine, and for the frequencies, ill check my books tomorrow, but im pretty sure its around the 400mhz area. Im thinking about 450-650mhz. but Im not sure.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
You know,I have 3 extra Cinema Connection Kits just sitting around,maybe I'll hook them back up like I did before to three of my internet switches. Of course I'll be using DTV's coaxial cable to do this. How I'll do it is that I'll insert a non-green labeled 2-way splitter to the cable from my green-labeled 8-way splitter that is connected to my Wireless Cinema Connection Kit. I'll use the power pass output to hook coaxial cable up to my original cinema connection kit(not the DECA II version,I have about 4 of these original cinema conection kits laying around for the very reason of what I'm about to do) & the non power side to the Wireless Cinema Connection Kit. I have 3 HD DVR's(HR22,HR23,& HR24),because the signal from cables hooked to them divides into 2 tuners,I'll use 2 non-green labeled 2-way splitters to attach to the cables running to both of my HD receivers(H24 & H25). Because both HD receivers have only one tuner each,doing what I'm about to do will divide the signal between the HD receivers & the cinema connection kits that will be then hooked up to their respective internet switches. Again,I'll use the power pass side of the 2-way splitter to hook up the the respective cinema connection kit & the non-power pass side to the respective HD receiver. As soon as I accomplish this,I'll report back the results.

mdavej

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2010
Southeast
If Twitz is correct about the frequency, this confirms that DECA is smack in the middle of CATV frequencies, so mixing it with CATV or MoCA, isn't going to work. Diplexers won't work either because the TV side has both CATV and DECA on it, and the SAT side has only DC. To use DECA in a CATV system, it has to be completely isolated from your CATV service. Even a POE filter won't work because it's designed for MoCA frequencies, not DECA.

Roy, I don't think there's any need to reinvent the wheel here. A method for connecting the H24 and H25 has already been documented. I don't completely follow what you're doing, but it sounds similar.

Last edited:

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
Roy, I don't think there's any need to reinvent the wheel here. A method for connecting the H24 and H25 has already been documented. I don't completely follow what you're doing, but it sounds similar.

By using s splitter on the coaxial cable going to both my H24 & H25,the signal won't be diluted going to the HD receivers. The signal is already divided going to my HD DVR's with the signal going to 2 tuners. The HD receivers have the signal going to only 1 tuner,so splitting the signal to the HD receiver using a splitter to run cable to both the HD receiver AND to the cinema connection kit,in essence it'll be as if the signal is being divided into 2 tuners just like the HD DVR. You don't lose picture quality to the HD receiver using a splitter to divide the signal between the receiver & cinema connection kit like you theoretically would using a splitter to divide the signal between a HD DVR & cinema connection kit.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
If Twitz is correct about the frequency, this confirms that DECA is smack in the middle of CATV frequencies, so mixing it with CATV or MoCA, isn't going to work. Diplexers won't work either because the TV side has both CATV and DECA on it, and the SAT side has only DC. To use DECA in a CATV system, it has to be completely isolated from your CATV service. Even a POE filter won't work because it's designed for MoCA frequencies, not DECA.

Arite here's what i found out....

The DIRECTV Ethernet Coasial Adapter (DECA) enables a DIRECTV Coax Home Network; this is DIRECTV's implementation of MRV. The DIRECTV Coax Home Network; utilizes the frequency range 500-600 MHz within a DIRECTV SWiM environment, to enable Ethernet connectivity via Coax to DIRECTV receivers. Hx24/Hx25/HR3(4)4 receivers have DECA built in.

now if we skip a few chapters into the whole home dvr chapter of the installer's manual

Band Stop Filter

An inline device, which block the Whole-Home DVR frequencies between 475-625MHz from passing at the location where it is installed. Ultimately this filter eliminates unwanted signals from interfering with the networking within the Whole-Home DVR installation as well as to prevent the networking from interfering with the receivers that are not MRV-compatible.

Sooo Im assuming that 500-600 is the literal range but theres a 25MHz gap to prevent frequencies from overlapping. Withing getting into how signal travels through the dielectric lets just say 475-625. Either way you look at it diplexing this into a CATV setup is nearly impossible, I assumed you were utilizing unused coax to create ethernet in those rooms, I didnt think you were trying to run these and catv over the same wires. With that being said, solid signal has http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sd-swmd3&d=sonora-sd-swmd3-swm-diplexer-(sd-swmd3) listed. Im not entirely convinced this will work as it runs a bandstop filter through the catv line before combining (or separating) the signals. If your catv co utilized this band, something is not going to work.

mdavej

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2010
Southeast
Thanks for the follow up. From what I've read, that's right in the middle of my CATV frequencies, so I don't think it will work either. Keeping DECA and CATV on totally separate coax networks works fine for me. I only tried it to satisfy my own curiosity. I'll keep that SWM diplexer in mind if I ever need to combine my networks.

Thanks again

SolidSignal

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 24, 2012
Novi, MI
You are correct that any signals in the 475-625 band will be rejected and cannot be diplexed. The point of this diplexer, what makes it different from other parts like the NAS STD-9501M diplexer, is that it isolates out the MRV band meaning that there can be no miscommunication through that band. In some cases a CATV signal could mimic an MRV signal well enough to confuse a receiver. If this is not a concern (because, for example you are using band stop filters before every receiver, or you are using analog CATV) then the SWM-D2 or STD-9501M diplexers can be used more effectively in a CATV diplexing situation.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
You are correct that any signals in the 475-625 band will be rejected and cannot be diplexed. The point of this diplexer, what makes it different from other parts like the NAS STD-9501M diplexer, is that it isolates out the MRV band meaning that there can be no miscommunication through that band. In some cases a CATV signal could mimic an MRV signal well enough to confuse a receiver. If this is not a concern (because, for example you are using band stop filters before every receiver, or you are using analog CATV) then the SWM-D2 or STD-9501M diplexers can be used more effectively in a CATV diplexing situation.

(Joking) design an adapter like the BBC that converts the mrv band into the A band and we're good to go lol.

Serious note since the BBC converts 250-750 into 1650-2150 I wonder if this can somehow be adapted to move (convert) the mrv band.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)