DECA to Ethernet Splitter or Switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

allster101

Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Hey all.
So first off, some background info. I currently have whole-home DVR service with a Genie. In one of my bedrooms, I have an H21 receiver with a DECA connected to it. I recently bought a smart TV for that same bedroom. It has wifi, but its wifi receiver is crap. However, it has an ethernet port. So I had the idea to take the ethernet cable that connects from the DECA to the H21, and plug it into the TV instead. Boom. Works like a charm, Netflix is way faster than before on wifi and it's great. However, the DECA has only 1 ethernet port, so I can't have it plugged into the H21 and the TV at the same time. So I thought: what if I buy an ethernet splitter? So I looked at some online, and all of the splitters say that it will only work if one is using the connection and one isn't. Both devices can't use the connection simultaneously. I also read that if you want to use the connection simultaneously, you can buy a switch. So I look at some switches, they're not terribly expensive, but I'd sure like a splitter than a switch due to the size. So here's my question: can I hook up a splitter to the DECA and still be able to access my recordings from the H21? Obviously I won't be using the ethernet connection on the TV while watching directv, so I'm thinking this may work. I'm not sure how the TV uses the connection, if it keeps it on and communicates all the time or just when needed (watching Netflix, etc), so it may not work. The other option is to buy a switch, like a 5 port netgear off of eBay, and set that guy up from the DECA to the tv and the receiver. As far as I understand, this should work 100%. The only reason I don't want to do this is that the switch is much bigger than the splitter, and I would rather pay $2 for the splitter than $12 for the switch.

However...

I've been with directv for 6 years now, and I think maybe I can call them up and trade my H21 for an HR23 or 24. If I'm lucky they'll do it for free (has anyone tried/done this?). Now, as you may know, the DVR has two ethernet ports, one in and one out, as far as I understand. So can't I get a DVR and hook up a rthernet cable from the out port of the DVR to the TV?

Thanks everyone for reading, any help is much appreciated.

I would not use a splitter, however, running the DECA into a switch and then to the two different devices will work. It's a better idea to get a 1x2 DIRECTV splitter and use a powered DECA into the switch, then ethernet cables into the device. If you don't have a power supply for the DECA, a Sonora PS121000A will work.

You should not use the second port of the DVR as a passthrough, this has been a proven source of problems in the past.

So, you're saying I should buy a green label-splitter, another DECA + power supply, and hook one DECA to the H21 and one DECA to the TV?

I really don't want to do this because of the amount of space it'll take up.

I would get another eithernet switch before I get a splitter and a second decca.

Ideally, get rid of the decca and run 2 eitherney cables from your router.

All the decca does is convert eithernet to run over Coax.

I just don't like the reliability of the deccas, I have been through 3 of them at my house and 1 at my brothers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)