DECA vs. DVR Ethernet port

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
My current setup is: (2) HR-24's with one connected with DECA to my network router, MRV, DirecTV2PC installed. SWiM, one Dish.

Questions:

• Is the separate DECA required for my HR-24 to function how I'm setup (couldn't tell if the HR-24 has one already built in)?
  • What's the functional difference in options by being setup how I am vs. just connecting the network to the back of my main HR-24?
I use the whole home DVR, VOD downloading, remote scheduler and occasionally DirecTV2PC. I don't really see using the media server (though it appears that both DVR's show up on my Windows network).

Just wondering the difference since my installer said I couldn't connect up to my DVR directly with the network.

Thanks!

The installer is correct. If you connect your network to the ethernet jack on the HR24, you'll disable the DECA network.
That DECA module connected to your router is necessary for you to use Media Share and On Demand.

Thanks.

I definitely like the on demand. It seems surprising that connecting the internet to the DVR directly would disallow the on demand content (since I figured the on demand content was downloaded directly from the internet).

Is the media share part of or different than the whole home DVR?

They are all separate items; with the correct setup you can:

1. Do Whole-home DVR (aka MRV)
2. VoD / DoD
3. Media Share

I should have added to the above statement since it may not be clear; you can do all of these at the same time; meaning you don't have to sacrifice any one to get the others, etc.

charper1,

Thanks. I figured as much. I'm assuming I can only do all 3 of those if I'm connected to the external DECA and not if I'm plugged into my DVR directly to the internet without the DECA?

I read some posts that seemed to indicate the HR24(or some similar model) had an internal DECA, but maybe that was wrong.

the HR24 does have it built in but I think you need to add the internet connection kit (?) as connecting ethernet directly will kill the internal DECA. I may be a bit vague as I do not want/have the 24 but ride with previous model and my own connection setup.

charper1,

Thanks. I figured as much. I'm assuming I can only do all 3 of those if I'm connected to the external DECA and not if I'm plugged into my DVR directly to the internet without the DECA?

I read some posts that seemed to indicate the HR24(or some similar model) had an internal DECA, but maybe that was wrong.
The confusing factor here is that you can't have two network connections at the same time. Which is what you have with DECA (coax) and the ethernet cable.

Just set up cable internet(30Mb down) from DSL (3Mb down) noticed that the VOD downloads are faster. AT&T customer service gave me a bad comment so I dropped them. Customer Service was horrible, besides I wanted to jump from 3 down to 30 down.

The confusing factor here is that you can't have two network connections at the same time. Which is what you have with DECA (coax) and the ethernet cable.

Good point. I'm used to cat5 being the network connection and hadn't thought of it like that (even though it is obviously connected to the network through the external DECA/coax). I'm not trying to connect 2 at once, but if I only had the port in the back of the DVR connect it looks like I'd lose some functionality. It's also confusing if the HR-24 indeed has an internal DECA but is disabled when the network port is connected. Oh well, I'm mostly just trying to understand how it works.

On a side note, anyone ever measure how much power the DECA uses? That thing runs quite hot.

Thanks again folks.

Your HR24's have internal DECA's. They connect to each other via unused frequencies on the coax cable. It creates their own DECA cloud. That network connects to your network and your internet connection through the internet connect kit (DECA) adapter. The connection to your network is only necessary for VOD, otherwise, MRV will work fine without it.

So, if you add more receivers, as long as they are HR24's they will connect to your DECA cloud via the coax (satellite) connection. You only need to use the ethernet ports on older receivers with a DECA adapter.

Here is a pic to give you an idea:
DecaCloud.jpg

I'm a visual learner (maybe all those years in college drawing diagrams) - so that was a big help. I hope you didn't have to make that up just for this thread ;)

My setup is like the picture above Type 1, HR-24-500 (only x2) and without the 4-way splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)