Decent offer from Dish, how is the equipment?

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I called Dish today, time to leave Voom for the reasons in http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34278

I started to call around. D* didn't really want to help me out too much, 349 over and over on the HD unit, no break in the price at all, and no 99 dollar deal but they did offer me a free Tivo.

E* however was more than helpful. I wanted a HD receiver, which I assume is the 811, SD DVR for the other TV, HD programming, base package, plus Showtime.

$61.xx per month, 51.xx for the first 6 months. This included the HD Package, DVR lease, HD Lease, and programming.

I'm iffy on Dish...I already have the D* equipment on the house and I've heard some horrible things about the 811....but this is a killer deal IMO, no commitement and cancel anytime, free install after rebate.

But with D* giving a deal, and their big promo is "You own the equipment", I don't want to own the equipment with the changes that always come out, and the lack of being able to tell me I'd get DVI for sure.

They did offer free install, and honestly I never got far enough to get a package price.

How is the DVR? How is the HD box compared to all the stories I've heard.

My Voom box picks up all my OTA's perfectly, the Motorola box I'm using in the interim doesn't and is a pain compared to the Voom unit.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks

You can get the HD PVR 921 for 550 now. Not perfect, but for the price it is a great deal. The 811 HD receiver has gotten better with the software releases, but some do have problems with it still. Mine is working pretty good.

811 has it's share of demons...but I'm a patient person and it isn't intolerable....I've had worse...besides when the 811 is overcome by it's random demonic possessions even my 2 year knows how to get it to recover...

The 811 handles OTA pretty good, the 921 on the other hand has had lots of reports regarding it puking back OTA at you...It's likely your getting a 5xx series...I have little experience with this model and the others can likely comment more...

Jason

As the DVRs go, the 510 is pretty much stable. My roomate uses that one and hasn't given me a single complaint in the six or so months we've had it. The 522 DOES have it's share of demons..but even those are coming to pass with software upgrades.

My in-laws have the 811, and it seems to be pretty stable. There were a couple of issues that were caused by them leaving it on 24/7 and it never catching upgrades..but after a few lessons on how you need to treat a Dish box, smooth sailing. Though, the 811 does have a little lag issue when using the optical out for audio and Analog Component outputs for video

Jahntassa said:
...the 811 does have a little lag issue when using the optical out for audio and Analog Component outputs for video
Jahntassa, P282 is going to spool soon...P282 notes show a correction for Dolby Digital 5.1 output...;)

Jason

I'm losing my mind...

I just called Dish back to confirm the pricing and all that, same price as before but they tell me I cannot get local's OTA for HD...I explained to the CSR how it worked and after her checking she says the functionality is there but they do not install the antenna.

I asked her if I already had the antena would they hook it up and she couldn't answer that...right now Voom spliced the dish/antenna into a single line then it seperates again at the box but I've tried to use the antenna which worked perfect with the Voom box with a OTA Motorola box and no luck at all.

If they install the stuff I'd like them to hook up the OTA antenna too...I'm assuming its the connection that it works with the Voom box but not the OTA box.

I did my own hook ups but I don't see why they wouldn't attch an existing ota coax...Dish doesn't install OTA's, however if your going thru a retailer, that deals with OTA antennas, you could likely get them to work with you or to sell/install the appropriate equipment. I do not know what Voom installs, but it is likely a standard OTA di-plexed into your feed. Make sure the DC blocked/ANT side is the one your connecting to your OTA feed on the receiver, beyond that more info/pics would help us understand...

Jason

Lesson 1: Dish CSR's are about as knowledgable as a block of cheddar. Sure they may have been around for a while, but put some heat to them and they melt.

You're looking at base package price + $5 for a second rcvr + $10 for the HD pak + $4.98 for a DVR fee.

Normally, if there's a line from your antenna to the rcvr, a tech will hook it up no problem. Running wires for your antenna may cost extra, depending on the tech.

The Antenna is there, and it runs into a combo line into the house, then splits again.

I had no luck getting it to work with my Motorola OTA. I'm assumng if the line is done normally it will work.

The odd thing is that crappy Terk unit which I never use, sitting on top of my TV won't pick up CBS Detroit at 28 miles but picks up CBS Lansing 62 miles away....

The Voom install is diplexed, and I am using the ANT portion from the block but get no real decent signal strength.

I just wonder what I can change before I get the E* stuff so I can make sure its going to work. Its a helluva long way up on our roof and want to make sure its working on this Motorola OTA unit.

I would think that the installer would run another line from the dish to the 811. You may have to pay a little extra if you're needing a wallfish, but from my understanding if E sends out a contractor they can't charge for a wallfish. While he's on the roof, offer him a few dollars to take the dyplexer off of the OTA line.

See if you can undiplex it and run straight from the antenna. Did Voom give you two diplexers or is it combined in some weird way at their dish? You may be able to re-use them if you have two.

E* will be installed tommorow.

I went to a local retailer, small shop, and he told me the Voom unit provided 18v to the dish and the antenna and without the Voom box I didn't get that and hence the problem.

They told me they'd take care of it and wire it up for me. He told me whatever worked with Voom will work with the 811.

It was too tough to pass up, free install, $51.xx per month for the first 6 and hopefully they'll buy Voom anyways.

I doubt Voom will ever call me back, it will be interesting to see how it works out. As sort of a joke/see how screwed up they are, I'm working out an invoice for my wasted time at $65.00 per hour and mailing it to their accounts receivable department, see if they actually cut me a check.

BTW, anyone speak Latin? I figuire I'll put Consulting then "how to waste a customers time" in Latin, make it sound fancy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts