Deciding Factors for College Football Recruits

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
It's that time of year. The regular season of college football is wrapping up and scouts are out trying to nab the best recruits for next season.

If you were a potential big-named football recruit trying to decide among a few choice schools who came calling, what are some of the most important deciding factors in making your decision?

Big named coach? School tradition/history? Academics? What?

Who I grew up being a fan of would be big, as would tradition, and potential for that team to make a run at conference and national championships, as well as playing time.
Location would also be a huge factor. Assuming I was getting offers from big name schools all over the country, I would most likely prefer to play at a big school closer to home where my friends and family would have an easier time attending.

A big name coach could become a factor, but only after I met the man, and got a feel for his personality and character.

IF I am a big name recruits, there are these factors for me(and this almost apply to the 2 major TV sports, football and basketball):

1) What are are the chances I play IMMEDIATELY.
2) Does the school have a reputation of preparing me to play on Sundays.
3) Does that school have alot of TV exposure so that others can see my ability.
4) Proximity to home, especially if I am student-athlete of restricted funds...I want to be able to get home without a song and dance from the NCAA.

IF I am a big name recruits, there are these factors for me(and this almost apply to the 2 major TV sports, football and basketball):

1) What are are the chances I play IMMEDIATELY.
2) Does the school have a reputation of preparing me to play on Sundays.
3) Does that school have alot of TV exposure so that others can see my ability.
4) Proximity to home, especially if I am student-athlete of restricted funds...I want to be able to get home without a song and dance from the NCAA.

A coach doesn't even rank in your factors? Wow.

A coach doesn't even rank in your factors? Wow.

LOL why, HD? Why, why, why?

You know in your heard what the correct answer is...why do you put it out there for people to smack back into your face?

I don't get it!!!

Sandra

I thought my answer to is question and seeing the landscape of all the moving around of schools and coaches....was a legitimate one. As well as the question on his behalf. To him a coach is HUGE.

Every recruit has a different situation and agenda. Pointless to argue the merits of a coach because there is no correct answer that applies to everyone.

Sandra

Recruiting is "what can you do for me" and nothing about tradition anymore. Recruits will go to a school that can get them to the next level.

Recruiting is "what can you do for me" and nothing about tradition anymore. Recruits will go to a school that can get them to the next level.

Bingo! You earn the golden apple of the day Tigerfan!

Big named, blue chip recruits go to the program that puts them in the best position to get to and succeed at the next level. Coaching has A LOT to do with that. Playing in Ma' and Pa's backyard does not.

Bingo! You earn the golden apple of the day Tigerfan!

Big named, blue chip recruits go to the program that puts them in the best position to get to and succeed at the next level. Coaching has A LOT to do with that. Playing in Ma' and Pa's backyard does not.

LMAO! And you don't think that if the big name recruit HAS that in their back yard, it will not play into his decision?

LMAO! And you don't think that if the big name recruit HAS that in their back yard, it will not play into his decision?

Maybe, but playing in the backyard would be about #47 on my list of deciding factors, not #1.

Think of it like this... Let's say you were a top medical student in the field of heart surgery. You were a Rhodes Scholar and your ceiling as a future physician was limitless! When schools came calling, you had offers to go to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Columbia or Yale.

But you happened to be living with Ma' and Pa' in a trailor behind the Piggly Wiggly in rural Mobile Alabama. Do you pass up the opportunity of a lifetime to better yourself by getting the very best training in the world? Or do you just say, "aww, gee shucks. Eff it. I'll just go to the local Community College because it's close to my bro's"???

Maybe, but playing in the backyard would be about #47 on my list of deciding factors, not #1.

Think of it like this... Let's say you were a top medical student in the field of heart surgery. You were a Rhodes Scholar and your ceiling as a future physician was limitless! When schools came calling, you had offers to go to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Columbia or Yale.

But you happened to be living with Ma' and Pa' in a trailor behind the Piggly Wiggly in rural Mobile Alabama. Do you pass up the opportunity of a lifetime to better yourself by getting the very best training in the world? Or do you just say, "aww, gee shucks. Eff it. I'll just go to the local Community College because it's close to my bro's"???

IF Alabama and/or Aurburn was just as known to have an VERY GOOD medical school and I had a close knit family... some kids WILL stay at home. YOU may not like it, but it IS reality. ALOT of local kids...and not just Florida....but in other states do this.

OK...I will reverse it to you. A kid in Toledo gets a offer to play for Urban Meyer in Florida when they were kicking a$$ and an offer from The Vest to play in Columbus...WHY go to Florida when you can get more or less the same thing in Columbus. WHY leave "home"? You have a very established program in Columbus, you have a very good coach and tons of TV exposure.... If you can have they same thing at home, why leave home...

IF Alabama and/or Aurburn was just as known to have an VERY GOOD medical school and I had a close knit family... some kids WILL stay at home. YOU may not like it, but it IS reality. ALOT of local kids...and not just Florida....but in other states do this.

OK...I will reverse it to you. A kid in Toledo gets a offer to play for Urban Meyer in Florida when they were kicking a$$ and an offer from The Vest to play in Columbus...WHY go to Florida when you can get more or less the same thing in Columbus. WHY leave "home"? You have a very established program in Columbus, you have a very good coach and tons of TV exposure.... If you can have they same thing at home, why leave home...

In your original comparison, you were not comparing apples to apples. You were comparing a Community College in Florida to Ohio State. Then you flipped it to compare Ohio State vs. Florida which is a little more realistic.

In your original comparison, you were not comparing apples to apples. You were comparing a Community College in Florida to Ohio State. Then you flipped it to compare Ohio State vs. Florida which is a little more realistic.

In my ORIGINAL statement I said "FLORIDA SCHOOLS" ...as in "all". Who the hell is a community college? UCF, USF and FIU?! They may not have the sports pedigree that Ohio State has..but they are FAR from communitiy collge....:mad:

I mean seriously dude... :rolleyes:

Anyone can drive 500 miles home for the holidays and weekends in less than one day, so there really isn't much advantage in favoring one school over another if they are within that range.

Someone needs to tell Edsall at the University of Maryland how to recruit for bigtime football. At Connecticutt, he could recruit by telling his players what fine careers their UConn degree will help them get after they graduate, but the caliber of player needed to compete at the level that Maryland wants to compete at don't give a damn about that. If he can't find some way to recruit half a dozen interior linemen this February, then he will be fired after next season.

Anyone can drive 500 miles home for the holidays and weekends in less than one day, so there really isn't much advantage in favoring one school over another if they are within that range.

Someone needs to tell Edsall at the University of Maryland how to recruit for bigtime football. At Connecticutt, he could recruit by telling his players what fine careers their UConn degree will help them get after they graduate, but the caliber of player needed to compete at the level that Maryland wants to compete at don't give a damn about that. If he can't find some way to recruit half a dozen interior linemen this February, then he will be fired after next season.

Your gonna drive 500 miles for one day ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts