decimal place in channel number

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DadGuy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Hi,

my onscreen channel display format shows 0000.000
If I select say, 13.1 it displays as 0013.001 is that the same thing? I can't seem to enter anything that gives me 13.100

any thoughts?

DadGuy said:
Hi,
If I select say, 13.1 it displays as 0013.001 is that the same thing? I can't seem to enter anything that gives me 13.100
any thoughts?

It would help if you told us what model of receiver and tv you have.

oops...sorry

sorry bout that...I thought is was a generic question....I have a pioneer pdp-4345HD plasma TV, I was using the remote and an over the air antenna HD antenna trying to get an HD broadcast...most all the HD channels listed on antennaweb.org for my area (30 miles south of seatte) were a tenth (.1) more than the analog broadcast... ie 13 and 13.1

Not sure about your particular model but,

Some ATSC tuners use a 'period' and some use a 'dash' to designate the subchannel. On my DirecTV H20 receiver I would punch in 9-1 to get digital channel 9 in my area. On my LG OTA STB I would punch in 9.1 on the remote to get the same channel. The channel number displayed on the TV is a function of the tuner software design.

Hope this helps.

my apologies to boba and anyone else who I upset

Hey, I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong location... I'm not sure where it should go but if you guys do and can move or just delete it...go for it... I'll be more careful going forward....

Is there any menu on the TV to change the display length of the input?

I can't see 0013.001 being the same as 13.1. I am like you it seems it would be 0013.100, but why in the heck would a TV maker put that many places in there?

Actually, it makes sense that 0013.001 is the same as 13.1. Treat the dot as a placeholder instead of a decimal and think of the numbers as two unique integers. Chop the leading zeros and you get 13.1. Trailing zeros are usually significant, so 0013.100 would be 13.100.

maybe they're getting ready for the days when we have 100 subchannels? :)

DadGuy said:
Hi,
any thoughts?

Doesn't your TV manual say anything about HD sub channels and how to get to them ?

Don't worry abouit where you put this post , you are asking a HD question and did not mention weather you were using your TV tuner or D* tuner, so no one knew at that time..

Each maker uses the tuner numbers however they see fit. I have had D* receivers that had 4 spots (oooo) so 13 would be 0013, and would not take just 13.

Your digital/ HD channels will always be with a dash or decimal when using the TV tuner, or D* tuner if your looking for locals.

Jimbo

Thanks to all for the info...very helpful... I was running an HD ota Antenna feed directly into my TV Tuner as I"m still awaiting my HD receiver from D* as well as local area feeds to the seattle market. Sadly the manual that came with my pioneer pdp-4345 is not as informative (at least to me) as I would have liked... a little cryptic in places...flat out not helpful in others, so I've been on the hunt for others with the same plasma screen to chat with or at least a more in depth user guide/manual ... I hope to get this stuff figured out so I can pay back to the forum with real advice for others just like I'm getting from you guys...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)