Define cascading. Circuit terms please.

Cascading is Series.

Its where a series of components are conected so that the output of the first serves as the input for the second, etc.

However please be more specific, on this application for a Sat. Install, and we can help more.

When we speak of "cascading" switches, we mean to tie a switch and a single sat LNB together(i.e. an SW64, a legacy single, both into an SW21 gives you and SW21-4 sat). We also use it to refer to "trunking" 2 DP switches together(i.e. a DP34 connected directly to a second DP34). Our terminology may not be techincally correct, but that is what we mean.

Parallel would mean taking 2 SW44s, and putting splitter on each LNB's line and connecting each output from the splitters into the same inputs on the SW44s. This would allow you to feed 8 tuners with a legacy setup. Please keep in mind that power blocking splitters are required in this case, and the power passed side MUST always have it's power inserter plugged in for the second switch to work properly. Technically, you might not need the power inserter on the seond switch. Dunno. Never tried it.

Here is what has been put together for the alt.dbs.echostar FAQ:

Three kinds of combinations can be performed: cascade, parallel and chain.
  • Cascading is a method of switching in more input LNBs by feeding the output of one switch into another, it cannot be used to provide more outputs, and not all combinations will work.
  • Paralleling is a method of providing 8 outputs. It only works with SW44 and SW64 switches.
  • Chaining uses satellite pass-through outputs to connect up to 2 additional switches to provide 8 or 12 outputs. Works only with DP34, DPP44 and Microyal SW44A switches.

I added the third term because chaining or trunking really isn't a cascade as previously defined.

I recently discovered that "trunking" is the correct term for tying the pass-through ports of one switch to the LNB ports of another one.

It's in the manual - although they seem to change them on-the-fly without notice of revision number. :rolleyes:

I'll change chaining to trunking even though on one of the Tech Forums it was referred to as a cascade. :rolleyes: No wonder people are confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts