Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I am sorry, but it is getting harder and harder to be a Republican lately, I really am starting to feel that the party is about to imploded.

WASHINGTON - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep.
Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, an indictment that likely will force him to step down as House majority leader.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

GOP congressional officials said the plan was for DeLay to temporarily relinquish his leadership post and Speaker
Dennis Hastert will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties.

Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

"The defendants enetered into an agreement with each other or with TRMPAC (Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee) to make a political contribution in violation of the Texas election code," says the four-page indictment. "The contribution was made directly to the
Republican National Committee within 60 days of a general election."

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

DeLay has denied committing any crime and accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives.

Democrats have kept up a crescendo of criticism of DeLay's ethics, citing three times last year that the House ethics committee admonished DeLay for his conduct.

Earlier, DeLay attorney Bill White told reporters, "It's a skunky indictment if they have one."

As a sign of loyalty to DeLay after the grand jury returned indictments against three of his associates, House Republicans last November repealed a rule requiring any of their leaders to step aside if indicted. The rule was reinstituted in January after lawmakers returned to Washington from the holidays fearing the repeal might create a backlash from voters.

DeLay, 58, also is the center of an ethics swirl in Washington. The 11-term congressman was admonished last year by the House ethics committee on three separate issues and is the center of a political storm this year over lobbyists paying his and other lawmakers' tabs for expensive travel abroad.

Wednesday's indictment stems from a plan DeLay helped set in motion in 2001 to help Republicans win control of the Texas House in the 2002 elections for the first time since Reconstruction.

A state political action committee he created, Texans for a Republican Majority, was indicted earlier this month on charges of accepting corporate contributions for use in state legislative races. Texas law prohibits corporate money from being used to advocate the election or defeat of candidates; it is allowed only for administrative expenses.

With GOP control of the Texas legislature, DeLay then engineered a redistricting plan that enabled the GOP take six Texas seats in the U.S. House away from Democrats — including one lawmaker switching parties — in 2004 and build its majority in Congress.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/delay_investigation

bruce said:
I am sorry, but it is getting harder and harder to be a Republican lately, I really am starting to feel that the party is about to imploded.

I agree with you but look at the alternative... -sigh-

Mario

Chado said:
I think its tough being affiliated with either party right now....

very true - if one party has become heartless, the other party spineless and no "emergency room quick fix" around - it's very sad.

DeLay said he was certain the indictment would be dismissed and shrugged off the charges as a "political witch hunt" designed to drive a wedge in the Republican ranks.

"If the Democrats think we're going to go crawl in a hole and not accomplish our agenda, I wish they could have been a fly on the wall" of the closed-door meeting, DeLay said after the session.

The indictment accused DeLay, 58, of a conspiracy to violate Texas election law, which prohibits the use of corporate donations to advocate the election or defeat of political candidates. Prosecutors say the alleged scheme worked in a roundabout way, with the donations going to a DeLay-founded political committee, then to the Republican National Committee and eventually to GOP candidates in Texas.

By the way, when has it become the standard if a Republican is in trouble, blame is on the Democrats, well DeLay is trying, but I do not think it is going to work based on the newest story.

The grand jury's foreman, William Gibson, told The Associated Press that Earle didn't pressure members one way or the other. "Ronnie Earle didn't indict him. The grand jury indicted him," Gibson told The Associated Press in an interview at his home.

Gibson, 76, a retired sheriff's deputy in Austin, said of DeLay: "He's probably doing a good job. I don't have anything against him. Just something happened."

William Gibson is a Republican according to Reuters.

The indictment accused DeLay of a conspiracy to "knowingly make a political contribution" in violation of Texas law outlawing corporate contributions. It alleged that DeLay's Texans for a Republican Majority political action committee accepted $155,000 from companies, including Sears Roebuck, and placed the money in an account.

The PAC then wrote a $190,000 check to an arm of the Republican National Committee and provided the committee a document with the names of Texas State House candidates and the amounts they were supposed to received in donations, the indictment said.

The indictment included a copy of the check.

First the Rove/Libby thing, then Frist, FEMA and Brown and now DeLay, what a month to be a Republican, I can only hope McCain can separate himself enough from all this ( and we all know more to come ) for a good run in 08 or we will have a Clinton back in the White House.

bruce said:
By the way, when has it become the standard if a Republican is in trouble, blame is on the Democrats, well DeLay is trying, but I do not think it is going to work based on the newest story.

Agreed - here are some facts about Ronnie Earle :

EARLE HAS PROSECUTED FOUR TIMES AS MANY DEMOCRATS AS REPUBLICANS: “Over Earle’s 27-year tenure, his Public Integrity Unit has prosecuted 15 elected officials, including 12 Democrats.” [Los Angeles Times, 5/15/05] EARLE PROSECUTED DEMOCRATS AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS OF STATE GOVERNMENT: “Some of the Democrats prosecuted by Earle and his Public Integrity Unit are former Texas House Speaker Gib Lewis, former Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox, former State Treasurer Warren Harding and former Texas Supreme Court Justice Don Yarbrough.” [AP, 12/12/04]

EARLE AIDES WENT ON TO RUN FOR OFFICE AS REPUBLICANS: “Some of his top assistants have been with him for decades. A few have gone on to run for elected office as Republicans.” [Los Angeles Times, 5/15/05]

FRIEND OF OFFICIAL TARGETED BY EARLE CALLED HIM A ‘BOY SCOUT’: “Democrats, for their part, are still upset over the prosecution of Attorney General Jim Mattox for bribery in 1985. … He was acquitted and years later, Jim Marston, a civil lawyer in Austin and friend of Mr. Mattox, asked Earle why he went ahead with the questionable case. “I said, ‘Ronnie, how can it be an abuse of power to threaten a lawyer? We threaten each other all the time.’ He told me that elected officials are held to a higher standard. They are supposed to be [above suspicion] like Caesar’s wife.’ It was then that Mr. Marston realized how deep Earle’s principles run. ‘Ronnie Earle is a Boy Scout who is offended by wrongdoings, chief among them, public officials’ abuse of power.’ [Christian Science Monitor, 12/03/04]

EARLE HAS REPUTATION AS PRINCIPLED, ‘OVERLY CAUTIOUS’: “Deliberate in the capital cases he sends to juries, Earle is well known for examining an issue from all angles before acting. ‘If I have any complaint about Ronnie, it’s that he is overly cautious about who he prosecutes,’ says Marston. ‘The fact that it has taken two years to investigate Tom DeLay is a sign not of partisanship, but of being completely careful.’” [Christian Science Monitor, 12/03/04]

EARLE HAS REPUTATION FOR ‘STRONG MORAL STREAK’: “[T]o those who know him, Earle has always exhibited a strong moral streak - from his formative years growing up in a small town outside Fort Worth, to his time on the Austin night court, to his political service in the state legislature. But they contend his morality is tempered by his compassion. ‘Ronnie is very principled and will do the right thing even if it isn’t the smartest political thing to do,’ says Ellen Halbert, a victim’s rights advocate.” [Christian Science Monitor, 12/03/04]

EARLE HAS REPUTATION FOR RESPECTING THE RULES: “‘One of the things I admired most about Ronnie was his indefatigable ability to go and meet with groups all over town all the time–right-wing groups, left-wing groups, the Rotary,’ says Bill Reid, an attorney who retired from Earle’s office in 1997. ‘He’s not a bloodthirsty prosecutor who wanted to get notches on his gun. There are some who have a reputation for walking close to the line in terms of evidence and rights, but there was never a push or inclination from him that we ought to bend the rules. Working for him, I was doing what I wanted to do, and I could go home and sleep at night.’” [Los Angeles Times, 5/15/05]

HOUSTON CHRONICLE: ALLEGATIONS OF PARTISTANSHIP NOT SUPPORTED BY FACTS: Chronicle editorial: “The record does not support allegations that Earle is prone to partisan witch hunts.” [6/14/04]

Since Republ;ican nationwide has much higher chance to get away even with such capital treason Rove did, I'm happy to see somebody indicted, especially such a disgusting 'maffioso' worm like DeLay.

DeLay is a criminal, it's well-known for long time, it was just the question of time. He really is a shame, country will be much better off when this unscrupulous corrupt criminal will be jailed.

T2k said:
Since Republ;ican nationwide has much higher chance to get away even with such capital treason Rove did, I'm happy to see somebody indicted, especially such a disgusting 'maffioso' worm like DeLay.

DeLay is a criminal, it's well-known for long time, it was just the question of time. He really is a shame, country will be much better off when this unscrupulous corrupt criminal will be jailed.

Glad you are wiiling to give him the presumption of innocence! See, we do that in this country you know. :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Glad you are wiiling to give him the assumption of innocence! See, we do that in this country you know. :)

VERY good point Sir !!!
Very interesting though, that while vurbano gets his hanging tree ready for 2 Democrats (Blanco and Nagin) and you had nothing to say - but now a Republican is in "serious legal trouble" all of a sudden you remember that !

BTW what about the list of the 150 desasters Mr. Brown claims to have been involved in? Since you mentioned it yesterday, I thought you could give us some inside information.

Matt said:
VERY good point Sir !!!
Very interesting though, that while vurbano gets his hanging tree ready for 2 Democrats (Blanco and Nagin) and you had nothing to say - but now a Republican is in "serious legal trouble" all of a sudden you remember that !

BTW what about the list of the 150 desasters Mr. Brown claims to have been involved in? Since you mentioned it yesterday, I thought you could give us some inside information.

Well, Nagin and Blanco have not been charged with a crime (one can argue they should have been) so they are not entitled to a legal presumption of innocence. As for the 150 disasters, somebody posted a link to them in another thread. Since it was a part of Brown's testimony I doubt he would make it up.

EDIT:

Here is the quote from Brown I refered to:

"I have overseen over 150 presidentially declared disasters. I know what I am doing. And I think I do a pretty darn good job of it," Brown said.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Well, Nagin and Blanco have not been charged with a crime (one can argue they should have been) so they are not entitled to a legal presumption of innocence. As for the 150 disasters, somebody posted a link to them in another thread. Since it was a part of Brown's testimony I doubt he would make it up.

EDIT:

Here is the quote from Brown I refered to:

"I have overseen over 150 presidentially declared disasters. I know what I am doing. And I think I do a pretty darn good job of it," Brown said.
I know - thanks. It is getting pretty scary though- regardless what party (or not) affiliation someone has.

I think its safe to say that DeLay is one of those people that give politicians a bad name!!!

I would really like to see an educated defense of this guy.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty still applies...

Chado said:
I think its safe to say that DeLay is one of those people that give politicians a bad name!!!

I would really like to see an educated defense of this guy.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty still applies...

Why do you say that Chado? What has he done to give politicians a bad name? Why not wait and see what the facts are?

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Why do you say that Chado? What has he done to give politicians a bad name? Why not wait and see what the facts are?

Here is a few:
September-October 2004: DeLay is admonished by the House ethics committee on three separate issues. The committee chastised DeLay for offering to support the House candidacy of Michigan Republican Rep. Nick Smith's son in return for the lawmaker's vote for a Medicare prescription drug benefit. The panel said DeLay created the appearance of linking political donations to a legislative favor, and that he had improperly sought the Federal Aviation Administration's intervention in a Texas political dispute.

March 2005: Media reports spur Democrats to question DeLay's relationship with lobbyist Jack Abramoff, who is under federal investigation. DeLay has asked the House ethics committee to review allegations that Abramoff or his clients paid some of DeLay's overseas travel expenses. DeLay has denied knowing that the expenses were paid by Abramoff.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/28/delay.time.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Isnt dishonesty a prequalification for being a politician? Hell they are all crooks. If Delay is proven guilty of anything hes just one that got caught.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:

I may be confused, but isn't he the ass that got involved in the Terry Schiavo case stating that she was an instrument or message of God. Raising hell about taking her off life support when he agreed to do the very same thing to a family member?

Seriously, isn't that the same guy?

I still don't see how that is "giving all politicians a bad name". He was stating his personal beliefs about the Schivo case, I have no problem with that. As for the personal situation you mention, I am not familiar with that but perhaps the circumstances were different.

Yes, and it was his father who they pulled off life support.

bruce said:
Yes, and it was his father who they pulled off life support.

Why not give us the complete details. Maybe his father had a living will?

EDIT:

Here are the details and as I suspected two totally different situations:

"The DeLay and Schiavo cases are worlds apart, for heaven's sake, and it is patently unfair to compare the two. DeLay's father's had suffered broken ribs and a brain hemorrhage; he needed a tracheotomy and ventilator to assist his breathing; his kidneys failed; multiple infections ravaged his body. Unlike Terri Schiavo, he was in a state of steady deterioration and at death's imminent doorstep within days of his accident.

Unlike the Schiavo case, there was a family consensus among the DeLays and no dispute over what the father would have wanted. Moreover, DeLay was not the primary decision-maker in the family's choice to withhold heroic treatment. That role fell to his mother and another brother and sister."

From Michelle Malkin.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts