Delayed Actions

dbshelton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Kountze,Texas
Here lately some days when I press a remote button to change channel, turn up volume, turn on the guide, turn off the receiver, etc. Nothing happens for maybe10 to 30 seconds. Sometimes it may even be a minute or 2. Checked remote, installed new batteries. Receiver is a VIP211. Other times everything works fine. What can possibly be the problem?

I assume you have tried doing a hard reset on the receiver? Unplug and leave for a few minutes and plug back in.
Do you have a HDD hooked up to it?

Do you have to keep pressing the button on the remote? (Ex. You have to press channel up several times before it changes?) Or does it just lag? (Ex. You press channel up, wait and don't do anything, then the channel changes after several seconds?)

Since it happens when you are changing the volume, I would guess that it is a problem with the remote control, since that is a function of the TV, not the satellite receiver. Have you tried getting a replacement remote control?

Reactions: dishdude
Since it happens when you are changing the volume, I would guess that it is a problem with the remote control, since that is a function of the TV, not the satellite receiver. Have you tried getting a replacement remote control?
His post says it's happening with several functions (changing channel, accessing guide, etc.) so it seems like it's not isolated to just volume. True, remote might be bad but not necessarily.

Yes, OP, I've been suffering with this for months now. The annoying thing is that the delay MESS mocd may last less than a minute, and then clear up, meaning a re-boot is pointless. The only theory I have is that the DVR is busy using the processor for whatever and it takes time fpr the computer (that's what a DVR is, a microcomputer) to process our commands because I will have pressed Skip Back 3 or 4 times with no action, and the many seconds later, all of a suddent, the DVR will Skip back those 3-4 presses I commaned 30-45 seconds ago. Then it behaves as it should. Perhaps more Dish tweaking going on?

To be clear NONE of the buttons seem to work when the DVR is in this "mood." The DVR will not respond to ANY command from the remote, but many seconds later, it will all of a sudden perform many of the commands in order as if the processor was busy and remote commands were in Que, as it were.

OK, I did some more checking and the volume does always work normally so it must be isolated to the Dish Receiver and also the DVR functions?
Of course, the lag problem hasn't re-occurred in a couple of days now.
I do have 2 new Dish replacement remotes and I get the same response from them and the old original remote control. Some time just turning everything off, then back on fixes it. Other times it takes a hard restart to fix.

Reactions: pattykay
OK, I did some more checking and the volume does always work normally so it must be isolated to the Dish Receiver and also the DVR functions?
Of course, the lag problem hasn't re-occurred in a couple of days now.
I do have 2 new Dish replacement remotes and I get the same response from them and the old original remote control. Some time just turning everything off, then back on fixes it. Other times it takes a hard restart to fix.
My poor wording, and thanks for the clarification, but you are correct: it affects commands to the Dish STB ONLY and not to any other components in the chain such as TV or AVR equipment. Commands to peripheral equipment can still be sent as usual. Again, the behavior is as if the processor of the Dish STB is busy and the commands are in some kind of que until the Dish STB can get around to processing those commands.

I wonder where all the Dish Network folks are?

They don't automatically read every post on the board. If you want to contact DIRT, best bet is to send a PM to one who is online. You can check the homepage under the "Helpers Online Now" section to see which DIRT members might be online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts