Deleting shows don't reduce available hours

eddieras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
it seems my 722 doesn't accurately show the available hours after deleting a show. for example, i had 11 hours of HD available - i deleted a 4 hour HD show and it only went to 12 hours. any ideas regarding this??

thanks guys - i should know this but how can i tell if i'm eastern arc - i'm in chicago

The same thing happens on my 722. Some HD takes up more space than others. If I record an hour of OTA it takes about an hour of space. However, I could record two hours of HD satellite programming in that same space.

Like said above, MPEG4 vs. MPEG2. The "remaining" time is based on MPEG2, so when deleting an MPEG4, you will not see the actual time of the program return to the remaining. MPEG4 files are smaller :)

It's not just MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4. It's also program content. Is it really HD? Is it stretched? Is it mostly static, with little action/movement? All these can reduce the amount of space the program actually takes up. So deleting a talk show will free up (increase) available hours less than deleting a sports show, in general. Digital consequence. With analog, time elapsed was one to one with space consumed.

If he is Eastern Arc its all MPEG 4.
Eastern Arc, Western Arc... It doesn't matter for HD. All HD channels on Dish are mpeg-4. However, all OTA HD channels are mpeg-2. Try recording your 4hr NHL program OTA and deleting that. You should see your available recording time go up by up to 4 hrs. But as Navychop says, many factors go into the actual size of the program on disk.

Eastern Arc, Western Arc... It doesn't matter for HD. All HD channels on Dish are mpeg-4. However, all OTA HD channels are mpeg-2. Try recording your 4hr NHL program OTA and deleting that. You should see your available recording time go up by up to 4 hrs. But as Navychop says, many factors go into the actual size of the program on disk.
It does matter becuase SD in Eastern Arc is Mpeg 4 .
Western Arc is Mpeg 2.

It's not just MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4. It's also program content. Is it really HD? Is it stretched? Is it mostly static, with little action/movement? All these can reduce the amount of space the program actually takes up. So deleting a talk show will free up (increase) available hours less than deleting a sports show, in general. Digital consequence. With analog, time elapsed was one to one with space consumed.
Excellent detail about all of the possible scenarios ! In the end, the numbers are just estimates !

Its a new E fee feature:(

By paying just 6 bucks a month fee E will let the receiver restore the time:)

Sorry it was too good to pass up, after a buddy called me today complaining of the fees............

Sorry it was too good to pass up, after a buddy called me today complaining of the fees............

Back in the box, Bob.;)

tell him about fios

So did U tell him to go to FIOS like you said you were going to? I see you still haven't done it yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)