Dell Knowingly Sold 11.8 Million Computers with A 97% Failure Rate

Cap Issues, not just Dell

Working in a major west coast hospital, I've seen my share of the Dell Optiplex 270's. some GX280's capacitor issues. We've had sh*t loads, I'm talking at least 400 to 500 GX270's motherboards replaced. Dell actually stepped up to the plate back in early 2000 and sent a technician over to help replace boards. Dell Tech would pick up the boards from the Depot, come by and start helping us replace them. Luckily it was an easy job on the Optiplex model. But building my own computers, I've seen the Cap issue on ECS Boards, AOpen, MSI, and Foxconn. I think I've tossed a couple of ECS boards "The Fry's special" Now I'm dealing with over heat issues on the HP Laptops using the Nvidia chipsets, Old issue, but starting to see this come up now. So each company has there own issues. Sony has the laptop battery issues, Apple with the antenna issues. Even my Hotpoint refrigerator "made by GE" had a cap issue on the main board.

BTW, one good place to get your Motherboards recapped is Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home You can even buy capacitor kits to do it yourself.

Marco- are the HPs dv6000 or dv9000? I recently ran across this with a dv6408. Hit the power button and it doesn't go to bios, just restarts. After an unpredictable number of attempts it starts but the wifi is dead. The nvidia chip has come loose from the board and the solder beads need to be reflowed or the board replaced. (I'm guessing you know all that already). There is info all over the net on how to fix it by removing the board and heat shielding everything but that chip. You heat the chip and it resolders itself. You can use anything from a really expensive looking machine to a heat lamp and tin foil.

Or you could do something profoundly stupid. Get the laptop to start (may take many tries) and go into the bios screen. Wrap the laptop in a blanket or towel, blocking all the vents, intakes and exhaust ports. Wait. It will overheat and shutoff. Start her up again and repeat. Repeat this as many times as you dare. When your nerves give out and she shuts down one last time, unwrap it and let it sit there, off, for an hour or more to cool down gradually. Test it out. Problem solved? Temporarily? Permanently?

I wouldn't do this unless you are ready to throw it in the trash rather than take the motherboard out. If you are crazy enough to abuse a laptop this way its probably a good idea to remove the battery and hard drive before you cook it.

A search of "Bad caps" in Sat Guys should find my threads about a Mitsubishi HDTV with the burst electrolytic capacitors. At work, we avoided the Dell OptiPlex GX2x0 models, but I heard our parent company got hit bad. We were buying Compaq and HP desktops during that time period, and we saw maybe .5% fail due to bad caps. I was able to fix most of them by buying the capacitors and replacing the bad units. Now, we're seeing LCD monitors croak with bad caps in the low voltage power supplies.

help me find a decent gaming mouse

Server recommendation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts