Delusional Pizza Pusher...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Well, in case anyone was wondering, D* has better PQ than Blu-Ray... Or so I was told by a D* sales person earlier this week. I struggled not to laugh or correct him, just bit my tongue hard and said, "Oh, I see. What about bitrate?" A puzzled look came over his face. "You know, the amount of data used for the digital stream." "Oh, its just as good as Blu-Ray because it comes directly from the networks to you!"

Its sad, but I think they actually believe what they're telling people. Even sadder is many consumers wouldn't see the difference. Now, I've seen some high-bitrate network feeds on FTA satellites that would compare to Blu-Ray in PQ, but I don't think either D* or E* use 20-40 megabits for any of their channels ;) ...

Last edited:
LOL, that's funny. I remember arguing with a D* salesman back when they first came out how my bud was better. He too thought D* was the greatest thing since the napkin.

Sorry to say there all smoking something since no pizza service can compare with Blue Ray or a Master feed. The thing is the stupid consumer will believe them.

Are you all saying the emperor has no clothes? I say the emperor does have clothes. You can tell by all the digital artifacts than are visible around sharp edges. That's the lint, so there must be clothes.

yeah I had a comcrap guy come the other day trying to sell me on their products. I was in the garage so I guess he forgot to notice the 6 foot dish and 5 foot dish right there (or the 6 footer in the front of the garage). When I told him I had satellite he tried the "oh you know when it rains the signal goes out" line :rolleyes:

salesdroids
I'll have to remember that. It's a pity, for we now have "salesdroids" in just about every box store also. It's unbelievable how often one has deal with them. But then, they are only there for a few semesters, then a new batch arrive.

When I told him I had satellite he tried the "oh you know when it rains the signal goes out" line :rolleyes:

Hahaha...on C band. :eek: You should have asked him if their signal goes out on the dishes they have behind the plant pointed at the cable masters too. :D

I can watch c band in a monsoon :shocked :up

actually I havent had any rain fade yet with D* either in the 4 months I've had it. KU would go out but D* has still worked fine. C-Band of course stayed up ;)

My 18" dish I have on direct 101 that I use for the guide here and there has lost the preview channel in heavy rainstorms. I get signal quality in the 90's normally. My ku dies also in those storms. C band.... well if it's real bad I may go from 99 to 98 on quality and that's probably because the dish is rockin wildly from the wind.

What dish do you have on direct Ice? Maybe I should mess with one of these phase III's with a single LNB for 101.

I have a Phase III that I installed myself. Its all I had laying around when the guy came to install (I wasnt going to use the stock 18")

Signals are usually 95-96 on most TP's

Well, in case anyone was wondering, D* has better PQ than Blu-Ray... Or so I was told by a D* sales person earlier this week. I struggled not to laugh or correct him, just bit my tongue hard and said, "Oh, I see. What about bitrate?" A puzzled look came over his face. "You know, the amount of data used for the digital stream." "Oh, its just as good as Blu-Ray because it comes directly from the networks to you!"

Its sad, but I think they actually believe what they're telling people. Even sadder is many consumers wouldn't see the difference. Now, I've seen some high-bitrate network feeds on FTA satellites that would compare to Blu-Ray in PQ, but I don't think either D* or E* use 20-40 megabits for any of their channels ;) ...

I am new to FTA. But last week I found a feed of wwe raw so I watched it. And since I only have an sd box the raw feed looked better than my time warners hd usa feed. Plus it didn't have any commercials which was great.

Hahaha...on C band. :eek: You should have asked him if their signal goes out on the dishes they have behind the plant pointed at the cable masters too. :D

I can watch c band in a monsoon :shocked :up

I was recording feeds from NASA-TV during STS-132, and a big windstorm came up. Wind-whipped rain, sleet, you name it. The only time my quality went down was when the wind blew a branch from the pecan tree above the dish down into PortaBUD's LOS. I'm going to have to get out the trusty 'ol Chainsaw before the next shuttle mission! :up

On and off over the last several years I have had both D* and E*. The only time it would go out would be very heavy rainstorms..Maybe for 5-10 minutes at the most..That was very rarely. And the picture was 1000% better than cable..The FTA on my analog set looks a lot better than cable as well..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)