Denied locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gully360

Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Altura, MN
I’m located in a rural area deep in a valley where there is no antenna reception. My ZIP code location is high up and able to receive ant reception. I’ve done the waver request thing with all the area affiliates, but I am only allowed ABC, NBC and FOX E&W coast feeds. CBS were idiots and didn’t care. Pegasus and Directv won’t listen and say its up to the networks. Nothing they can do.
This has gotten to be ridiculous! I guess I want to be legal and ethical, but I’m about to do anything. I haven’t followed through with the change over from Pegasus to Directv…I’m thinking that should be handled differently to my advantage.

Any suggestions?

When it comes to distant networks, and your not in an RV, best of luck. You need your waivers or P*, D* or even E* won't do a darn thing for you.

CablerMN said:
When it comes to distant networks, and your not in an RV, best of luck. You need your waivers or P*, D* or even E* won't do a darn thing for you.

I have done all the wavers and worn the phone out with all these people!!! Thats why I'm frustrated!

gully360 said:
I have done all the wavers and worn the phone out with all these people!!! Thats why I'm frustrated!
Legally the companies can't do anything for you so maybe it is time for you to "move". :)

gully360 said:
CBS were idiots and didn’t care. Pegasus and Directv won’t listen and say its up to the networks.

It's not up to the networks; it's up to your local CBS affiliate. I'm sure the CBS network would love to give you permission to receive their programming, if they could.

What you need to do is prove that you are not able to receive a Grade B signal from your location. The ARRL may be able to recommend a tester; see http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2000/05/31/2/

Want I’m running into is the local affiliates, which approved the waver requests, are not allowing me to view their feeds due to the marketing area, but my surrounding counties have locals. Is there a work around?

Thanks BarryO! I’ll do some research on the AARL to get the CBS waver. CBS’s affiliate was short and rather rude with me. They said the only way was to have a signal test….but I was told, if they got “any” sort of signal, I would have to pay $300 for the test. The others granted the waver over the phone.

dishjockey said:
You could always check with dish they may offer locals in your area.

:shocked Wow.... Dish does offer locals. Thanks!! I guess I can use that as ammo for now, my contract isn't up until Nov.

Soooo, if the local affiliates allow their broadcasts with Dish, then why don't they with Direc??

gully360 said:
Thats the problem...... I JUST DID!!!! :(

No, you didn't understand what he meant by "move". "Moving" here means that you call D* & change the physical address on your account to one that is in another market that DOES have locals, thereby making you qualified to receive THOSE locals instead. You then keep your billing address where you are now, so that you can get the paper bill, as well as any correspondence coming to you directly. It's very easy to do this & you get ALL the locals (networks) turned on instantly, when you call to change your address - NO having to hassle with any waivers at all.

But, since all the locals are on spotbeams, you basically need to pick a nearby market. (You didn't tell us where you are, so we really can't help you on that) For example, I'm in Springfield, IL, but I get MY locals from Chicago, since D* does NOT have ours & frankly, I'd rather have them from Chicago anyway.

Do a search on moving in these forums for more info on this.

dishrich said:
It's very easy to do this & you get ALL the locals (networks) turned on instantly, when you call to change your address - NO having to hassle with any waivers at all.

Thanks dishrich....thats what I wanted. I owe ya one!

BTW I do have a sense of humor and took the 1st reply as that. :D

You guys are killing me. I wish I had known that a few months ago.

Let me rephrase as a question: How vigilant are they about checking addresses? Can't they notice that they billing address and physical location are different? I legitimately have another home that is way outside the range of local stations; it was one of the first towns in the country to have cable TV. But it's just a second home jointly owned by my family. It has a mailing address, but the neighbor gets any mail that shows up. We pay that neighbor to have a second phone line that we use. No cable, there's just a second dish that is put on a pole on the porch when someone is there.

I was always worried because it's obvious that the physical address is different and two hundred miles distant. I don't get a paper bill, I've always paid with a CC.

There are a lot of people with very different billing and service addresses (second homes, lake cabins, etc.). They don't check this info, as long as you pay your bill.

Also, the phone line rule still exists on paper, but is no longer enforced. More and more people no longer have a landline. If you tell them you no longer have a phone line to connect the STBs to, they just turn off remote control PPV ordering. You can still order D* PPVs online, and they will be viewable on all your receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)