Denver locals - which sat?

visiter555

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Pembina, ND
I am looking at getting the locals. I currently have a dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a second dish at 129.

What bird(s) do the Denver locals sit on? I believe most are spot beamed as well and I think I am on the very fringe. Too close to Denver to get distant locals and too far for the spot, but worth the try as long as I don't need another dish!!!!

Big 4 are CONUS on 110
KWGN (Superstation) is on 119 CONUS
UPN & PBS are on spotbeam on 110
rest are on 148 & 129

visiter555 said:
I am looking at getting the locals. I currently have a dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a second dish at 129.

What bird(s) do the Denver locals sit on? I believe most are spot beamed as well and I think I am on the very fringe. Too close to Denver to get distant locals and too far for the spot, but worth the try as long as I don't need another dish!!!!

Where are you located Visiter? I am up in Fort Collins and receive everything. None of the main channels are on spot beams. I am receiving the 129 stations up here. I don't believe Denver has any active spot beams although there is a Denver beam on Ranbow1 at 61.5

Last edited:
jayn_j said:
Where are you located Visiter? I am up in Fort Collins and receive everything. None of the main channels are on spot beams. I am receiving the 129 stations up here. I don't believe Denver has any active spot beams although there is a Denver beam on Ranbow1 at 61.5

I am in Lone Tree facing the wrong direction lots of trees and buildings in the way as well.

Peaking is something I do every time the wind shifts!!!! And a third dish is out of the question!!! LOL

visiter555 said:
I am in Lone Tree facing the wrong direction lots of trees and buildings in the way as well.

Peaking is something I do every time the wind shifts!!!! And a third dish is out of the question!!! LOL

Well, the DISH1000 is a 1 dish solution. As mentioned, everything is now on 110/119/129, so a D1000 works fine, if you can get a view angle to the sat. It sounds like that is the real issue, not the spot beams.

I would suggest getting a competent installer out there (there are some) and have a site survey done to see if there is any spot on your property that has a clear view angle. Don't forget that the dish actually is aimed higher than it looks.

Another thing that might help is that during the equinox periods, it is possible to use the sun to find good locations. Do a search of the forums, or just wait a few weeks and there will likely be a new posting.

list of locals, et al

This table should help you find the birds with your stations.
An "s" in the transponder column means it's a spot beam.
Othewise it's not.

It's up to you to get the signal. ;)
hint: tune for maximum smoke

Just because a given bird like 61.5 HAS a possible spot beam for a given area, it does NOT mean it's in use.

Denver is a designated D1000 DMA. That means all new installs are getting D1000s, and implies that ALL Denver channels that are carried by E* will be able to be received using it.

SimpleSimon said:
Just because a given bird like 61.5 HAS a possible spot beam for a given area, it does NOT mean it's in use.

Denver is a designated D1000 DMA. That means all new installs are getting D1000s, and implies that ALL Denver channels that are carried by E* will be able to be received using it.

If I am reading this guy right, this isn't the issue. He has a basic misunderstanding about spot beams and Denver locals, sure. But look at how he describes his site.

Lonetree is way back in the mountains, between Alamosa and Durango. He apparently has one of those cabins in the trees, on a north facing slope.

His statement that he has to re-peak every day, makes me think that he may be thinking too conventionally and has placed the dish on the south side of the house. Placing it on the north side, shooting over the roof will generally give a better angle over the trees, and may allow a single dish 1000 solution. It also sounds like he is using 2 dish 300s in separate locations.

The only thing for sure is that I am speculating like mad from very little data :D

more power !

I have a friend who moved over 100 miles (close to 200) north of Los Angeles, and used to get all their locals fine.
Some were on 119 (nationwide I think), and some were on the 148 bird.
Now, all (?) LA is off the 148 and his favorite station is on a 119 LA spot beam.
With a Dish 500, he is noticing time of day problems getting whichever station he likes.
(It has too low a signal at 10am and doesn't clear up 'till noon, or something like that)
His solution, and maybe the OP's solution, is to put in a bigger dish and be done with it!
So far, my friend hasn't done anything about it... but gripe.
Maybe it's not so important to him after all. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)