Denver networks

Status
Please reply by conversation.
...I still dont know why you have so many issues with rain fade...

I read a lot of people who say similar things, and I don't know why you (and they) are not having rain fade issues.

Here in central Okla, everyone I know that has either pizza service complains about it. I have Dish... Bro-in-law a few hundred feet down the road has Direc... and we both see it. My Dad a mile away has Dish and he sees it. Several of my employees have one of these services, and they see it. Same with the folks I go to church with.

Out of all these people, I'm the only one who actually installed his own equipment. But surely the local install guys don't mis-align all the dishes they install. I know for sure that my dish is pretty well peaked.

Keep in mind, we don't lose service just because it rains. But we get some real doosies through here, and we lose service every time.

I can't explain why some don't see rain fade as a problem. But you can be rest assured that most of them don't live in central Oklahoma.

Cheers

Denver Networks with no rain fade:..............Denver Networks with no rain fade:..............Denver Networks with no rain fade:..............

We too have the occasional outage due to summer monsoon thunderstorms or heavy winter rain. But, thats when i bring up the DVR or switch it to OTA.

Maybe I'm a little bit off of topic here, but there IS a set of networks up on C-Band on digicipher in Zero Key mode... Every time I watch them, it messes up the clock on my 922 receiver until I go back to X4, but I don't mind. I can't be the only person who knows about them. I realize that they're not from Denver, but it is ABC/NBC/CBS for free....

Maybe I'm a little bit off of topic here, but there IS a set of networks up on C-Band on digicipher in Zero Key mode... Every time I watch them, it messes up the clock on my 922 receiver until I go back to X4, but I don't mind. I can't be the only person who knows about them. I realize that they're not from Denver, but it is ABC/NBC/CBS for free....

Those are the old SRL W3 nets (actually Primetime 24) They have been in ZK since Jan. They will stay that way till they are converted over to DVB S2 HD. Enjoy them now :) You need a 922 or 905 to view them.

From what I know those channels provide content to the Caribbean at a cable level. I would think they would be shelling out for the upgrades. Funny how Cable has the bucks but us poor little 4DTVers can't get anything going. I would like to see how much it costs to do certain things and then figure out how to budget it in so we can move forward. The problem with corporations is they are only interested in maximizing the profit and hate to put anything out for expansion unless they get tenfold in return.

Keep in mind, we don't lose service just because it rains. But we get some real doosies through here, and we lose service every time.

I don't loose Direct just because its raining light to moderate with the 90cm but soon the tstorms start and the buckets come down it's gone. Dark sky right before the storm kills it too. I guess some parts of the country fair better than others or people just accept it. To me what good is having a service that you would want to watch when your stuck indoors telling you searching for signal at those times. Frustrating to say the least. Pizza should not make claims of 99% uptime.

If the Denver pack comes back, then you'll know that when you turn the TV on at night, they'll be there. And it messes with my clock too.

...Pizza should not make claims of 99% uptime.

Actually, 99% up-time is pretty accurate. There are 8,766 hours in a year (if you figure in the quarter day for leap year). 1% down-time would be 87 hours & 40 minutes a year. Sounds about right to me. :D

It just goes to show that as good as it sounds, 99% is not always acceptable. Can you imagine telling your insurance agent... "I don't wreck the car 99% of the times I drive it". Pretty hard sell if you drive to work everyday.

Cheers

Actually, 99% up-time is pretty accurate. There are 8,766 hours in a year (if you figure in the quarter day for leap year). 1% down-time would be 87 hours & 40 minutes a year. Sounds about right to me. :D

It just goes to show that as good as it sounds, 99% is not always acceptable. Can you imagine telling your insurance agent... "I don't wreck the car 99% of the times I drive it". Pretty hard sell if you drive to work everyday.

Cheers

Bud uptime 100% :) The problem with pizza is it goes out when you would watch tv. You usually aren't watching tv when its a beautiful day outside. Your fine tuning the bud ;) They never seem to have any answers if you confront Direct's CSR's with the rain problem. The last guy shined me on and said it was the satellite, huh :confused:

tvropro said:
Bud uptime 100% :) The problem with pizza is it goes out when you would watch tv. You usually aren't watching tv when its a beautiful day outside. Your fine tuning the bud ;)

that is so true!

I'll chime in here and say I threw Dishnet out the door due to technical problems including excessive rain fade issues. The problem was they were using two different satellites and they were not adjacent to one another but 11 degrees apart. The dish had to be pointed to a spot halfway between them meaning it could not be tweaked for maximum signal. Sometimes I would lose only half of the channels (1 bird) while the others were still coming in (2nd bird) and as the rain passed it switched. After a while, and many multiple attempts by them to "fix" the problem, it finally wore thin and out they went. I would venture to say that if you are not experiencing rain fade, you are not in the majority. Even my Wells Fargo bank display rain faded the other day while I was standing in line. I saw it said Satellite 121, an all too familiar bird.

I hate to announce Denver may not be looking good. Motorola has slapped some new higher access fees for using their CA system that SKY & SRL had to eat and drained the budget. The focus is on Discovery now. Motorola is truly EVIL!

Last edited:
I hate to announce Denver may not be looking good. Motorola has slapped some new higher access fees for using their CA system that SKY & SRL had to eat and drained the budget. The focus is on Discovery now. Motorola is truly EVIL!

Yes they are. It is obvious they are trying to kill consumer access to digicipher technology. Expect no favors from them.

I'm sure Motorola wanted all the lost revenue they don't have now that NPS was gone. Nice of Sky & SRL to eat the costs unlike NPS. Shows they care about the people more than the bottom line. Chevys are fine, they don't need the BMW like Mike Mountford did.

I'm glad about map master though because once released we will be able to support our receivers even when the consumer datastream is long gone.

There's tall bucks in Shaw, Motorola loves them. What is the average Shaw bill monthly per subscriber Ice? Motorola also loves the cable companies that use their STB's, more tall bucks.

Dont know what the average sub is. Really dont care honestly. My bill use to be $50 before I cancelled.

But all I did was contradicts Asket's comment of "Moto doesnt care about consumer market" when in fact they are in the consumer market :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)